Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video


Posted by Ann J. on 11/13/03 at 07:17 (137355)

What are the best kind of inserts to buy and do you remove the insert from your regular shoes? Can I get inserts at a drug store or walmart? Also, I keep hearing Birkenstocks being excellent shoes to wear. Any kind of Birkenstock or just certain ones? Will someone give me the names if there are certain types of Birkenstocks? Can I still wear clogs? Any info. would be great and thank all of you for your support!! Ann

Re: Inserts

Carole C in NOLA on 11/13/03 at 07:48 (137358)


Birkenstock Arizonas are very helpful to many of us with PF. The Florida is another Birkenstock sandal that has gotten a lot of good reviews here.

If you need a clog, the Birkenstock Boston is a clog which also has a lot of support here on these message boards.

The most helpful Birkenstocks by far, are those which have the 'classic footbed', which all three of the above models (and some others) have. This orthotic footbed is what gained Birkenstock its good reputation among those with PF. However, not all Birkenstocks have the 'classic footbed' so it's good to check before buying.

A site where you can easily view different styles, and check on what footbed they have, is http://www.birkenstockexpress.com .

Carole C

Re: Inserts

Aly on 11/13/03 at 12:53 (137396)

Hi Ann,

I think most of us have had little success with the cheap inserts that you find at the drugstore - they just don't add enough support for a PF foot. Recent Doctor recommendations on this site have been Powersteps and SOLE - if you do a search for these on the site you can learn more.

I believe that Rachael just received a pair of the SOLE inserts - I just ordered some myself - and is raving about them...you heat them up and they mold to your foot for a more customized fit. They cost $40 - you can check out their site at http://www.yoursole.com to see if you're interested...

Good luck :)