Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Shai on 11/13/03 at 10:26 (137372)

dear doc!
what r the risks of having an op. for T.T.S?
what can be the errepairable damage???

Re: T.T.S

Dorothy on 11/13/03 at 14:33 (137407)

Many years ago I babysat on a regular basis for a family from France with a child named Shai, which was an unusual name to me at that time. Are you by any chance from a French family? Anybody named Joel? Just curious ~

Shai on 11/13/03 at 18:31 (137423)

i'm sorry to disapoint you but i'm shai and i'm from israel. shai means
present in hebrew.

Dorothy on 11/13/03 at 20:20 (137443)

No 'sorry' necessary; the family was also from Israel originally, then to France. I knew Shai was Hebrew but didn't know what the word meant so thank you for the explanation. Do you mean 'present' in the sense of gift, or 'present' in the sense of here and now? I have always loved the name. And now, I will just say that I hope you find the help and answers here that you need and that you will be feeling better soon. Best wishes ~

Dr. Z on 11/15/03 at 01:06 (137572)

Here are some of the risks
1. infection
2. failure to relieve pain
3. One year time period for pain relief
4. Foot worse then before the surgery
5. RSD
6 Nerve damage
This can be a sucessful operation but need to make correct diagnosis and must be willing to understand that the time after for healing and pain relief in one year

john k on 11/15/03 at 14:52 (137590)

RSD or nerve damage would be a major downside risk to TTS surgery in my opinion. RSD would be a nightmare. Chronic severe pain for the rest of your life and possible total disability.

Tammie on 11/16/03 at 19:04 (137665)

I hate to add this in but have to agree about the risks of RSD and or nerve damage,this is something that is very painful it will nag on you for 24/7 day after day night after night with never ending pains. That is the UNLUCKY side which happened to me.

Never believed it could happen as I really didnt know what it was even ,I was horified to find them looking into it as I had made friends here that have the RSD and I knew how awful it was for them.I wish a thousand times I could go back and like you I thought not me well the proof is here and I am REALLY living it and if I can get you to really give it more the thought then acting quickly I would like to do that.

If the pain is horrible now and no help or relief there ARE options! First find a kind compassionate DR who undersstands pain and how pain makes you think and do things without really looking into the bad effects as you are looking for ANY relief. Find a Pain management Dr they help with pain very well and they to will help you find help getting you dx properly! My Pm DR turned out to be my friend in a odd sort of way , he was anxious as I to find out WHY and wwear the pain was coming from. If I had seen him BEFORE I had that tts surgery I might not be with this RSD but nevver will know.

So please just reconsider and really be sure you have a very good DR, who knows about this and helps YOU understand the possible complications, if he tells you no worry none, walk out and find someone else! Surgery is not always the answer . SAD but so true! Take care and I do hope that you find what you need!

john k on 11/18/03 at 15:10 (137868)

I am beginning to think that most of these surgeries for foot problems should be outlawed. With a 50/50 chance of success that is boolshit for the possible downside risk. A lot of doctors just want to make money. No one on this list but there are many out there who have no scruples and don't give a rat's ass about patients. I think I know many of them.

SHAI on 11/19/03 at 10:34 (137946)

dear Tammie

well, i had 2 week's ago the surgery so i cant tell you if i have RSD or
not. only now i'm starting physical therapie and it's like starting to learn
how to walk all over again. i had my op. here in Israel in one of the best
Dr. in israel and he is also well known all over the world among the Ortho.
well, i hope for good.
thanks for the great intrest and god bless
shai rabin ,Israel

SHAI on 11/19/03 at 10:37 (137947)

what exacly is R.S.D????

oops on 12/11/03 at 21:26 (139824)

tammy, what kind of surgery did you have that led to RSD? Was it TTS?

Julie on 12/12/03 at 02:17 (139830)

Hi Oops

You posted your query to Tammy at the end of an elderly thread, and I know she doesn't always read the boards, so she may not see it. You would have a better chance of getting a response if you re-posted your question as a new thread. But I can tell you, having followed Tammy's story for a few years, that she had an unsuccessful (probably botched) PF surgery, which led to TTS, and then had a further unsuccessful (also probably botched) surgery for TTS. She ended up with RSD, and extreme all-the-time pain.

Her story is one of the worst and saddest we've had here. You can read it by doing a search on 'Tammie' (that's how she spelled her name while all this was going on because there was another Tammy posting at the same time.

But Tammie was particularly unlucky, and you should also read back posts on Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome from others, including Sharon, who is in the medical field and very knowledgeable. There have been a few success stories as well. What I have picked up from reading here is that the success rate for TTS surgery is low enough to give long pause for thought; also that the surgery has the best chance of success if there is an identifiable mass in the tunnel that can be removed.

I hope this is helpful, but do use the wbsite's search facility - there is a lot of information and experience out there. And this site is linked to a useful TTS site - go to the TTS board and you'll find the link at the top.

q on 12/12/03 at 08:21 (139839)

thanks for the information. I would caution you on your pessimism about TTS surgery. By the nature of this site, the people seeking it out are usually with the worst problems. That is called reporting bias. IE the people most likely to seek out this site, are people with bad outcomes. The ones diagnosed and cured with surgery may never visit here.

The point of having a mass being related to TTS is a well founded one from the literature. However, one may have something such as varicocities or something else not seen well on MRI that is found in surgery. Thus, if you are really disabled by symptoms, surgery is a reasonable consideration. It would be improtant to go to someone with a lot of experience though, who does high numbers.

Dorothy on 12/12/03 at 08:56 (139846)

Julie ~ Just a commendation: what a great response to this poster. You do good work!

Julie on 12/12/03 at 16:01 (139861)

Dorothy: thank you!

Julie on 12/13/03 at 03:19 (139897)

'q', I'm neither pessimistic nor optimistic about TTS surgery. I have no particular view on it, and indeed am not entitled to one, being neither a doctor nor a patient. I do know what I've read here over three years, though, and have there have been many reports of failed surgeries, surgeries that have made matters worse for people, and above all the statistics about the low success rate of such surgery. I'm not sure all this can be considered 'reporting bias', and are enough to warrant caution.

But the real point of my response to 'oops' was to answer the question he asked Tammy, who in all probability won't see it. And if she does see it, by suggesting he search the site for her story I've saved the poor girl the trouble of repeating it all over again, for the hundredth time. She has been through so much, and has bravely used her experience to help others here. She hasn't posted for awhile - I hope she is doing well.