Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Typical v. Atypical PF

Posted by Rich on 11/13/03 at 14:04 (137404)

The posts I have read about typical and atypical PF confuse me. When my PF started, I had morning pain. Sometimes it was pretty intense - not always though. I read on this web site about eliminating morning pain so I asked my Pod for a night splint. I have been wearing it now for 10 weeks. Most days I do not habe morning pain or it is very slight. During the day, the pain increases and decreases. Sometimes it changes minute to minute and changes spots. Most of my pain is in the area circled in Scott's book on that first picture, the rest is in the general heel area.

I don't think my PF has changed to atypical just because I do not have the worst pain first thing in the morning. I have just been able to decrease morning pain with the night splint. Do you all agree?

P/S/ This site has been a great resource and spirit lifter!

Re: Typical v. Atypical PF

Rick R on 11/13/03 at 15:02 (137410)

Rich

I think the 'typical' morning pain is more representative of pre-treatment conditions, and a good indicator for diagnosing PF. Once into this I can't begin to remember when my morning symptoms changed. I have had similar roving pain but as things get bad it all seems to end up at the one classic spot. I used to be fine one moment then hobbling the next before things got under control.

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 11/13/03 at 22:13 (137460)

Yes, I would agree! It also means that your night splint is doing a good job for you. :)

Carole C

Julie on 11/14/03 at 02:38 (137468)

Yes, I agree, and it's a very good thing that you've got a night splint and that it's helping. And yes, this site IS good, isn't it? Glad you're feeling more cheerful, Rich!

Rich on 11/14/03 at 09:34 (137482)

Thanks, Julie. You have been a big help!