Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Holidays in mind......

Posted by marie on 11/14/03 at 16:13 (137530)

.....I know that this is a caring and giving community so you all probably do alot for others. I'd just like to remind you of a group of people who can benefit from a very small gesture. More and more Americans are visiting and staying in homeless shelters. Most show up with little or no personal belongings. A large amount are women with children in tow. Because of the urgency involved when women leave and go to a shelter they often have no personal items with them. Please consider donating some tooth brushes, toothpaste, soap and other personal toiletries that may make the quality of their lives just a little better. Check your community for battered women's shelters and ask them what they need.

PS: I know my posts have been short this week. Please forgive me but we lost two more students. They don't teach us how to deal with it when they die. For every student I have lost I plant an iris. My garden is beginning to get full.

Have a nice weekend.

best wishes marie

Re: Holidays in mind......

Suzanne D. on 11/14/03 at 16:21 (137532)

Two more students, Marie! How very sad. Was it another automobile wreck?

I agree: at the holidays it is always good to remember others and to know that giving is more enjoyable than receiving!

I'm thinking of the students' families...They will be in my prayers.

Suzanne

Kathy G on 11/14/03 at 16:43 (137538)

Marie,

I noticed that you weren't posting. I'm sorry that you had to deal with more student deaths. Death is never easy but death of the young is so difficult.

Thanks for the reminder. Our town 'Pantry' is very low on all kinds of things so we will do a special shopping just for that. Each year I try to include kind of 'fun' things for the pantry, like children's toothbrushes that have cartoon characters on them, Calgon or some such thing for the ladies, some aftershave for the men. And I try to buy namebrand cereals, pasta, etc. It must be so hard to get nothing but the generic store brand and nothing that's even mildly exciting.

Tonight is very cold for this time of year and extremely windy. I always think of the homeless people in this kind of weather. I just wonder how they survive since so many don't want to go to shelters. It makes me doubly thankful for my cozy, warm house.

Lari S. on 11/14/03 at 16:43 (137539)

That's a great idea Marie. All year I have my husband bring home all the 'goodies' at the hotels they stay at. (He's a pilot with United Airlines.) I make up gift baskets with the lotions, shampoos, etc., and add kleenex, toothbrushes, and misc. from the dollar store to give to the seniors at the local nursing home. I will add a few more baskets this year with 'kid stuff' and check with my neighbor that runs the domestic violence services for the county to see what else might be needed.

I'm sorry to hear that your iris garden is growing. Let's hope that these are the last ones you have to plant for a long time.
Lari

marie on 11/14/03 at 17:04 (137541)

Yes it was a car wreck. A father and his two sons perished. In the other car was a mother and two daughters. All survived but the girls were life flighted to Fort Wayne. One of the girls jaw is broken and the front of her mouth was mangled badly. It was a head on.

Thanks for your kind gestures. You all have such good ideas.

marie

marie on 11/14/03 at 17:08 (137542)

One of my students father is a pilot for United. He does the Boston to Denver route but they live here in Indiana. On 9/11 he finished up his route and hopped on a flight home. The next pilot that got on his jet was the first to go into the WW trade center. It was a very difficult time for their family.

I married into an airport/airplane/pilot/flight attendent family.

marie

marie on 11/15/03 at 10:04 (137580)

Yes we have alot to be grateful for. Sometimes I forget. It's gotten very cold here this week. We shop for thhe food pantry a couple times a year. But I shop for the shelters right before the holidays. My kids help shop and sort. We all donate funds. I have tried to teach my kids to remember that here are those in our community who need a helping hand. Years and years ago families were in closer proximity to each other and able to give support to each other. Now many families are spread out all over the country and we need to help those who need a port in the storm. Heelspurs is a great example of those who are willing to give a little of themselves.

marie

BevN. on 11/15/03 at 15:44 (137594)

Marie,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of two students from your school, my heart goes out to their families. That is so sweet of you to plant an iris for each child.
We belong to volunteer organizations that do up food baskets each year for Easter, Thanksgiving , and Christmas for the needy and we do add many non- food items also. One year before I had PF I went to all of the dentists and asked for toothbrushes,etc, and really gathered up a lot. We save our coupons and shop with them so we save even more $ that way too. We also have the Christmas Wish List at the college that we get names from to buy a gift for a child that they ask for . The churches have food pantries that need replenishing all year around also, so that is something to think of also, and the soup kitchens need donations. There are always ways we are able to help out those in need. We are all so blessed ourselves , and we have so much to give to others in our help and in our aid.
Have a nice weekend ~~~~~~ Bev