Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taking a vote

Posted by Pauline on 11/15/03 at 15:21 (137591)

After this incident how many of you think this ship could be jinxed before it even sails? Just wondering about your superstitions. Certainly not a good beginning. Anyone booked on this lady?

ST. NAZAIRE, France - A gangway connecting the Queen Mary 2 to a dock collapsed Saturday as dozens of people crossed it to visit what will be the world's largest passenger ship. At least 13 people were killed and 32 injured, as victims fell nearly 50 feet, fire officials said.

The victims were family members of workers on the 21-story-tall ocean liner, which is dry-docked at this Atlantic coastal shipyard for finishing touches before its maiden voyage, planned for January.

Re: Taking a vote

marie on 11/15/03 at 15:44 (137593)

I won't ever go on it...I have a weekness for being jinxes.

Sher A on 11/15/03 at 17:29 (137600)

Please no one jump on me for this, but I think the Royals are jinxed and so is the ship, kind of like the Kennedys. For the time being I don't want to go on any ships or any cruises, seems like viruses are sickening everybody on them these days, and then there are curses.

Dorothy on 11/15/03 at 18:20 (137608)

Plus, isn't this the Cunard line? The same as .... that unsinkable ship??
There is so much 'lore' around ships and sailing - not to mention all of the contagious illness - that it is easy to immediately think of jinxes. I have no cruising plans anyway so it will be an easy thing to cross off my list! Similar to saying I won't be buying a Porsche because there was possibly a mechanical problem somewhere...

Julie on 11/16/03 at 00:34 (137629)

Yes, Dorothy, the QM is the new Cunard ship, same stable as the Titanic. About the same size, too (or at least the same capacity - over 2,500 people. It's very sad - for the people who got killed and hurt, of course - and for Cunard too, as it's certain to affect the way people feel about the ship. I'm not superstitious, but if I had the kind of money it would need to go on a cruise there are a hundred and two ways I'd rather spend it, so they can't count me as a lost cstomer.

Julie on 11/16/03 at 00:36 (137630)

Sher, the Royals aren't jinxed, they're just reaping the consequences of living and behaving the way they've lived and behaved.

Dorothy on 11/16/03 at 00:41 (137631)

My sentiments, exactly.

Lari S. on 11/16/03 at 12:18 (137643)

That's way too large a ship for me, the size of a small town. I have always wanted to go on a cruise and finally convinced my husband to go on a cruise to Tahiti (650 passenger)with 2 other couples. (He hates to travel for vacations since he travels all the time.) I was so excited to actually be going on a 'real vacation'. Then the towers were hit on 9/11. Needless to say the cruise on the 12th was cancelled. My hubby says it was a sign that we should NOT cruise, so don't expect him to try it again.
Lari

Re: good grief...I did it again

marie on 11/16/03 at 16:24 (137656)

ok...I messed up again. It should read 'I have a weakness for believing in jinxes.' That dang neurontin gets me every time.

john h on 11/17/03 at 09:41 (137711)

An aircraft carrier has a crew in excess of 5000 men and women. Average age just over 21.

Rick R on 11/17/03 at 15:33 (137748)

Pauline,

I don't believe in a jinx. I think one of the factors that comes into play here is the power of selective reporting. There have been cases where the public has taken for fact that something unique was happening that wasn't in reality outside the realm of normal statistical probability. Once some note worthy event takes place and everything thereafter gets attention we are lead to believe in something strange. The only example that comes to mind has major political overtones so I won't mention it. Oh yea I have one I can use, the Bermuda triangle.

As for the Kennedy's and Royals, I believe they suffer from the same lack of detectable fecal effluvia. Arrogance can lead to a sence of superiority over the laws of man as well as the laws of physics. Just one guys goofy opinion.

Rick

Julie on 11/17/03 at 16:38 (137760)

Not the least bit goofy, Rick.

JudyS on 11/17/03 at 16:40 (137761)

Julie - are you up really really late or really really early?

Rick R on 11/17/03 at 17:02 (137762)

By the by, I have documented royal blood (I know who doesn't) so I reserve the right to be a bit bent. I missed your post above I see you beat me to the punch.

Rick

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 17:34 (137774)

Are you proud of this blood condition? Or is this similar to cheese and feet?

Kathy G on 11/17/03 at 17:38 (137776)

I claim not to believe in jinxes but I'm not sure I'd book on that line! As for the royal family, I don't know much about them, other than Diana about whom I have heard way, way too much. The poor woman had no privacy in life and is obviously not getting any in death, either.

As for the Kennedy's, certainly luck has not been on their side. For both parents to have outlived four of their eight (or is it nine?) children is just not natural and defies the law of averages. Whether it's the sins of the father or a jinx, I don't know.

Sher A on 11/17/03 at 19:59 (137796)

>As for the Kennedy's and Royals, I believe they suffer from the same lack of detectable fecal effluvia. Arrogance can lead to a sence of superiority over the laws of man as well as the laws of physics. Just one guys goofy opinion.

Wow Rick!!! That is really profound!! I had to read that a few times even. 'Detectable fecal effluvia', does it include cheese?

BrianG on 11/17/03 at 22:45 (137808)

John, carriers are not immune, how many died on the Forrestal?
I don't think there are jinx's. It's just that 'shit happens' when you get so many people in one place!

BrianG

Re: REALLY REALLY...

Julie on 11/18/03 at 03:16 (137817)

Good morning, Judy. Neither. I posted that post at 22.38, having looked in on my way to bed. I was fast asleep by 23.00. Not really really late. Not even really late.

Didn't we once have a discussion about the time difference between CA and London? Eight hours, was it? Whatever the difference, it's that much later here.

Julie on 11/18/03 at 03:19 (137818)

Rick

Great minds?....
:0

Rick R on 11/18/03 at 11:25 (137837)

We should have known!! :0)

Rick R on 11/18/03 at 11:42 (137841)

I'm thinking it's more of the latter. Could be all that inbred royal blood has manifested itself in my anomolous feet.

Rick