Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what excercise treatment can i do if i had trasal tunnel syndrome?

Posted by joe on 11/16/03 at 16:14 (137655)

hi, anyone know any excercise you recommend me to do , because i have tarsal tunnel syndrome?? or any web sites that has pictures showing the movement excercise??
please help me!!! the more excersice the better

Re: what excercise treatment can i do if i had trasal tunnel syndrome?

marie on 11/16/03 at 18:46 (137661)

There is a poster here who has given some instructions for some yoga exercisies, her name is Julie. I am sure she will assist you if you put her name in a post. Scott has a heelpain book that my also be of some help. You will find alot of help here by others who have blazed the trail.

I would suggest non weight bearing exercise like swimming. I lay on my back hook a towel under my foot I pull my knee to my chest and then out again. Also place your palms against a wall. Do something like a stand up push up. Does that make any sense? That is a mild stretch. Lastly I do leg lifts. My advice is to only do what you can. If all you can tolerate is 3-5 of each of those than that's it. Go slow you don't want to risk a flare up or tendonitis. It's important that you rest and ice often.

best wishes marie

Lari S. on 11/16/03 at 18:48 (137663)

Hi, Joe. I can give you a list of some of the exercises I am doing. I had TTS surgery Oct. 3rd, but did most of these in PT prior to that.

1. Ankle Rotation: Stretch legs out in front of you. Move your feet around in circles, clockwise and then counter clockwise.

2. Alphabet: Stretch legs out then draw the alphabet out with your foot.

3. Ankle Extension: Alternate pointing your toes as far down and forward as you can.

4. Pick-up: Standing up with support, pick up marbles with your toes and place them in the opposite hand.

5. Towel Pull: Wrap a towl around the ball of the foot, hold teh ends in your hands and pull toward you and hold for 30 seconds then release. Turn foot to the inside, put other foot on towel for resistance and try to pull out (still holding with hands). Turn foot to the outside, put other foot on towel and try to pull in.

6. Juice Roll: Place a frozen juice can on the floor and roll it back and forth with your foot as far as you can. (Helps swelling and motion.)

7.Ball Roll: Place a tennis ball on the floor under the center of your foot then roll your foot in circular motions moving the tennis ball from side to side.

The rest of my exercises are done with a Theraband, which is basically a stretchy wide band.

Hope this is some help for you.
Lari

marie on 11/16/03 at 19:01 (137664)

Those are great. I'm not very good at describing this stuff.

Lari S. on 11/16/03 at 19:19 (137667)

I was doing them for months before the surgery, and now do those plus Theraband exercises 3-4 times a day. I think I can do them in my sleep by this time. lol I just hope it helps someone. My favorite is the juice can roll after I've been on my feet for a while. I sometimes add a bag of frozen peas under my knee for 20 minutes at the same time I'm exercising if I'm swollen or sore.
Lari

LARA on 11/17/03 at 07:38 (137703)

I think these exercises are for PF. Some treatments provide relief for PF & TTS, but I don't think these do. Someone (JULIE?) correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Clarification

LARA on 11/17/03 at 07:45 (137704)

I forget when I post that it shows up in chronological order, and not right after whatever I am responding to. When I said I thought the exercises were for PF, I was referring to the post on 'Julie's stretches. It looks to me like Laurie's are for PF too, but it appears she has TTS, not PF, and they work for her so perhaps you should just ignore my post altogether.

The exercise that I suspect helped me (but came upon while in PT after knee surgery) is lunges and 'step-downs'. Both are exercises that put my ankle at less than a 90 degree angle. My theory is it opens up the tarsal tunnel. When I talked to my PT about TTS, she said the only thing she could think of to do (she wasn't familiar with TTS - I was her first patient - but did do some reading) was 'mobes' (I believe a contraction of exercises to 'mobilize' the area) with my ankle, which fits with why the lunges (I think it's clear what those are) and 'step-downs' (put weight on one leg and reach other leg out front and bend knee up and down - it's o.k. to hold on to something for balance) would help TTS.

Lari S. on 11/17/03 at 13:52 (137739)

I'm not sure about PF since I've never had that (thank goodness!), but it's possible that some of them are interchangeable. I'm in PT for TTS, and that's what they have been having me do.
Lari

marie on 11/17/03 at 16:29 (137755)

Well that explains everything. I am not very good at describing something that is visual. I am going to try a couple you have listed.

Thanks marie

marie on 11/18/03 at 14:27 (137862)

I have both tts and pf...but I don't know which exercise was for what. I just did them and it helped, but it took a long time.

Kim C. on 11/22/03 at 16:02 (138386)

I read that Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome is frequently mis-diagnosed as simply Plantar Fascitis. In fact, I was first told that I had PF, only to be found to have TTS one year later. I hope this helps you.
PS I was told that pool exercises were best for my condition, maybe you can find a PT facility that has a pool.

LARA on 11/30/03 at 09:33 (139046)

*Kim wrote: I read that Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome is frequently misdiagnosed *as simply Plantar Fascitis. In fact, I was first told that I had PF, *only to be found to have TTS one year later. I hope this helps you.
*PS I was told that pool exercises were best for my condition, maybe you *can find a PT facility that has a pool.

I was told the same thing - eventually. I had the PF diagnosis (followed by the IIYH*) for three years, without resolution, until finally got to a doctor that knew TTS, recognized the symptoms, sent me for an NCV test, which confirmed TTS.

Regarding swimming, I found that the flutter kick was not good for my TTS - I believe that it is the extended position of the foot that puts the most pressure on my tibial nerve, whether caused by walking, or swimming, or whatever. So I did the breaststroke instead (I'm a good enough - not great, just good enough - swimmer that I can make breast stroke an aerobic workout). I imagine it's different for everyone so may not be the same for you.

*it's in your head

Kim C. on 12/06/03 at 15:43 (139493)

Lara, thanks for the advice on the swimming, I appreciate it. The best information is by word of mouth. We both know that many doctors just brush off your symptoms and 'just wait and see'. I have also found that if you know too much medical terminology, that it actually works against you. I have researched my condition everywhere I can so that I understand what is going on, so I'm familiar with my conditions and the treatments for them. Doctors don't like when you already know about the information they give you, and when you use proper terminology-they look at you like you must be a hypochondriac. Why is it that we get punished for doing our homework?

One good word of advice that I would like to suggest to everyone:
Write down the progression of your conditions, in date order, being as specific as you can. Include as much info as you can: tests, dr visits, surgeries, treatments, medications, reactions, and consider keeping a pain journal. When you are armed with this information, I find that the doctors get a better understanding of what is going on. When I try to verbally sum up in ten minutes what I have gone through in the last two years, I always seem to forget something and the dr doesn't get an accurate depiction of the timeline. I hope this helps!

Take care everyone.