Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Quote from Jack Nicholson

Posted by Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 01:25 (137688)

I'm not really a fan of Jack Nicholson, but this quote from him that I read today caught my attention; I guess because of my frumpy mood today.

'You don't know what you had until it's gone. I can't hop, skip and jump anymore. I can't run two miles. The diminution of a man's powers is very, very humbling. You live on barbed wire and bug juice until you're 28, and there's no price to pay. After a certain point, you pay for everything.'
Jack Nicholson

Re: Quote from Jack Nicholson

R C on 11/17/03 at 10:26 (137715)

I don't know much about Jack Nicholson's personal life. Was he just complaining about the routine aches and pains of old age, or something more specific (e.g., was he a drug-abuser, alcoholic, etc.)? Maybe I don't understand what he means by barbed wire and bug juice.

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 11:58 (137725)

Well, I think he has the reputation for a pretty wild personal life, but as to the specifics, I do not know. Only by implication in the various references to him and by him over the years can you surmise that he has 'done it all' in the wild-life sense. He is, I think the printed interview excerpt said, 67 or 68, and he was commenting on the changes that age have brought. As for 'barbed wire and bug juice', I think it was a metaphor for not taking care of oneself, eating and drinking 'whatever'...
It was just a quote about the changes in life that I think some of us here, I do anyway, notice as time passes as we talk about feet, ankles, knees, and so on... It wasn't of great importance, just a passing thought.

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 12:28 (137731)

....that age HAS brought.

Well, it is now official: my brain is on vacation. Perhaps to a hot spring somewhere. I hope it helps it.

Kathy G on 11/17/03 at 17:10 (137764)

Well, D!#% it all, Dorothy, I did take good care of myself and look what it got me? I wish I'd been a lot less careful and more like Jack! And I know exactly what you mean. Some days, you just say to yourself, 'How did I come to this place in my life where I consider it a triumph to have been able to go food shopping and still be able to walk a bit afterward?'

I have to remind myself that my son was 28 when he got PF and that his friend was only 20. Of course, they're both athletes, but nonetheless, it gives me solace. As someone on these boards once said, 'Lazy people do not get Plantar Fasciitis!'

Hope your day improved and you felt better!

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 17:33 (137773)

Thank you, Kathy. I hear what you're saying...

Sher A on 11/17/03 at 19:51 (137795)

Kinda reminds me of what my dentist used to tell me, 'you can win the battles, but you aren't going to win the war.' That was in regards to teeth - I think it may also apply to PF.

Suzanne D. on 11/17/03 at 22:16 (137804)

Dorothy, did you ever hear your mother say, 'You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry'? My mother used to say that often. It seems to carry much of the same sentiment as this quote.

Hope your feet are feeling better today! Mine have been 'acting up' lately, too.

Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 23:36 (137809)

Yes - and that other old saying with the same idea: you don't know what you've got until you lose it.

Maybe this is the week for feet with Kentucky genes in 'em to act up. If so, maybe we can look forward to next week being maybe - ?Texas's turn or North Dakota's turn?.. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Thanks, Suzanne - nice to hear from you.

Julie on 11/18/03 at 03:08 (137816)

No no, Sher, your dentist's homily applies only to death (you know, as in 'no-one gets out of here alive') We can't win that particular battle, but we can win the battle with PF, and many do. I did, others have, and you will too. Take heart.

Dorothy on 11/18/03 at 03:34 (137819)

Julie ~
I don't know if you have discussed it in the past, before I began visiting here, but would you mind telling more about your experience with PF? I am wondering, for example, how long you had it in its 'active' state, what things you did to treat it, are you completely, constantly free of it now - that sort of information. Was it a long time ago that you had it? Would you say you were fit? Was there a clear precipitating event to its onset? Was it PF only, or were there other aspects to it? Etc. Etc. Etc....
Yes, I am being very nosey - I know. And you can completely ignore the questions if you want to and I will understand completely. However, if you care to elaborate, I would like to know the whole story.
Thanks much.

Re: My PF story

Julie on 11/18/03 at 09:35 (137830)

It's not a very exciting story, Dorothy, and I have told it in the past, but I don't mind telling it again (I love talking about myself!) :). It was a bog standard case of typical PF - onset August 2000, pain in medial aspect of right heel, first-step pain etc - the trigger for which was, I believe, a minor back injury (nerve impingement). The back cleared up but the heel pain didn't. Research on the internet revealed the pain to be where the PF inserts in the calcaneus, so I self-diagnosed. Diagnosis confirmed by (helpful, clued-up) podiatrist a few days later, discovered heelspurs.com at around the same time.

I took very seriously the counsels about rest (walked as little as possible, which was awful - took taxis, etc) and not going barefoot (pulled a dusty old pair of Birk Arizonas out of the back of the cupboard and bought several more pairs and wore them all the time indoors, even for teaching). Both helped. The other things that helped - I believe, of course we can never be sure - were a good pair of orthotics (cast by my podiatrist) and taping, which I did every day for many months. To the orthotics and the tape I added an elastic foot and ankle support - gilding the lily, but once I started being more active I felt that it helped.

My PF was what I would call acute for about three months. Then it began to get slowly better. By five months it was much better (and it was at the five-month point that I threw my shoes to the wind and walked barefoot on the beach). And began walking for pleasure again, without being careful or frightened. For about another six months there were twinges, and morning pain if I'd been on a long hike the day before. But by the summer of 2001 (i.e.a year post-onset) I was completely all right and have been free of it since.

I am still careful, because I don't want it to comeback. I'm never without my orthotics inside my Targas (outdoors) or my Arizonas (indoors) although I do now teach barefoot, and that seems to be fine. I keep a roll of tape handy just in case, though there has been no need for it since the day - about three months after the barefoot beach walk - when I just stopped, my foot having told me, I guess, that it was no longer necessary.

I stuck around at heelspurs for another year and a half because it had given me so much, and I wanted to give something back. I had learned a lot about feet and the problems that beset them and I was glad to share that knowledge. Also my particular area of expertist - yoga/appropriate exercise - seemed to be helping people, so I was happy to stay and be useful. I left last March when the unpleasant situation which-it-is-better-not-to talk-about-any-more first arose. Now that that has resolved I seem to be back.

And that's the whole story. I would just add, because there has been a lot of flak flying lately about doctors, that I believe that for everyone with PF it is vitally important to keep looking until you find a good one. Yes, there are lots who are bored with it, or less than expert in its treatment, but there are good ones and there is no substitute for an expert evaluation and diagnosis, and a treatment programme targetted to one's own particular set of symptoms, causes, and circumstances. Dr Wander said exactly this to someone yesterday, and he is right. An internet forum as good and useful as this can help as an adjunct to treatment, but relying exclusively on it leads to a hit-and-miss, try-this-try-that approach that can waste a lot of time and prove ineffective in the end.

I've tried, and more or less succeeded, I think, in steering people with foot issues away from strong weight-bearing exercise. Apart from my wholehearted belief in the efficacy of taping, the things I've endlessly plugged are rest, and not going barefoot. On the whole, I tend to think what we avoid doing is possibly even more important than what we do. This doesn't go down well with anyone in pain who wants to 'do' things to make the pain go away - but it doesn't work that way. In my opinion.

Dorothy on 11/18/03 at 13:33 (137854)

Julie ~
Thank you so much for sharing this in what I know is a repetition for you but enlighteningly new for me. It sounds like you 'caught it' early which people here have said is important. I appreciate your well-reasoned approach and clear description of your experience. Be assured that your caring and pragmatic input on this website has been extremely helpful and we are glad that you stayed, even beyond your own PF.
Two more questions - yes, nosey AND greedy! - when you have a good opportunity, will you describe your own taping procedure? In reference to the elastic ankle and heel support - is it one of those that looks like a sort of sock with the sock cut away from the instep forward? Like a sort of sleeve for the ankle/heel? Or did you wrap an elastic bandage yourself?
Before I continue with 1,000 possible answers, maybe you can give the actual answer... And again, thank you. :-)

Julie on 11/18/03 at 16:50 (137878)

Dorothy

That's ok - it was a pleasure.

The elastic support was, yes, the kind that looks like a sock with a hole for the heel.

I used the simplest of the taping techniques described in the heel pain book: two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. I started at the base of the toes and finished as the tape just barely lipped over the heel (it doesn't want to come any further than that).

You need a good quality tape. I found Leuko tape excellent. I wouldn't recommend the industrial tapes - lots of people have used them, and they're strong and cheap, but a medical quality tape is probably safer and less likely to cause irritation.

The knack in applying the tape lies in getting the tension right. You want enough to give support to the arch, not so much that it hurts. The critical factor is the angle at which you hold your foot while applying the tape, and you need to experiment with this. If the foot is held in neutral the tape is likely to be too tight when you stand up. If it is fully dorsiflexed the tape will probably be too lax. There are of course a million degrees in between (well, let's say half a dozen!) and you need to find the angle that gives you enough tension to do the job of supporting the arch, but not so much that it hurts.

You have to remove the tape with care: pull it off quickly and you may take your skin off with it. Start at the ball of the foot and peel it back slowly. The tape should be removed every night to allow the skin to breathe and heal (I'm quoting Scott here - not everyone does it but I agree that this is important).

I would certainly recommend that you try it. It helped me greatly, and has helped many others, too. It works by substituting the support for the arch that the injured/inflamed fascia can no longer provide, and in resting the fascia it aids healing. So it isn't just a pain reliever.

I hope this is helpful. Try it and come back with questions if you have any problems with it.

AngelaC on 11/18/03 at 22:21 (137912)

No, no, please don't pick on North Dakota. My feet are acting up today, so I think we should count this week as ND's turn already! Maybe it's North America, some geomagnetic storm, or something. . . . Angela

Carole C in NOLA on 11/19/03 at 19:34 (138010)

My feet have been feeling crummy the past few days too, until today. Yesterday a cold front came barreling through (HURRAH!!), so today I put on a sweater and dragged out my Birkenstock clogs, instead of my Birkenstock sandals. I hadn't worn the clogs since last winter.

You know what? I think that just changing to a different pair of Birkenstocks even made a difference, even though they both have the same footbed. Is that ridiculous, or what? I do not have the slightest clue as to how that could be. PF is bad enough without it making me feel just stupid. LOL

Like your mother, my mother also used to frequently say, 'You don't miss the water 'till the well runs dry'. That saying reminds me to be glad I can see.

I never thought twice in my 20's about performing feats of physical strength that now boggle my mind. I remember moving from one apartment to another at age 19, and running up the stairs of the new place while carrying two full boxes of books, and once three boxes. I could no more do that now than fly; yet at the time, I thought everybody could do that kind of thing.

Another saying that my mother had, was 'Youth is wasted on the young!' I know what she meant, now.

Carole C