Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Don't Know What Else To Do...

Posted by J Fisher on 11/17/03 at 12:42 (137733)

I have read & researched and read some more. I have stretched, iced, massaged & worn 5 types of inserts for the 7 years I have suffered from PF. I have had cortisone injections and slept in night splints on both feet every night for over a year and I wore a walking cast for 4 weeks at a time on both legs this past summer. I think I am worse now than I have ever been. I have discussed my PF situation with my orthoped. for 2 years. She is very conservative in re: to surgery but thinks that it might be time. She says only an 80% success rate & I could be worse off after surgery than I am now due to scar tissue build up around the nerve. I have two young children - 7 & 5 - and my husband works for UPS so there is almost no chance he will be able to stay home with me. My orthoped. will not consider doing both feet at once, and I am in a new position & can't afford to take off so much time, but I can't live like this any more either. I can't keep up with my kids & I hurt constantly, not just when I am on my feet. Should I try new inserts ($400/pr @ The Good Foot Store - the kind you see on an infomercial where you can't be tipped over when someone pushes on you) or try and stretch more often or go for the surgery? Will I regret it for the rest of my life? Please help - I can't hurt like this anymore.

Re: I Don't Know What Else To Do...

Joe B. on 11/17/03 at 13:21 (137735)

First and foremost: If you read this site you will see the 80% success rate for surgery is absolute nonsense. It is nowhere near that. I had PF surgery in January and ended up problems with a nerve after, and I did not have a nerve problem going in, like you do. Sounds to me like your Dr. is already setting you up for surgery being unsuccessful.

If you have been suffering for 7 years, have you changed Drs. for
another opinion? Have you been diagnosed as a candidate for ESWT, and
does your insurance cover it?

There are other ways to go, invasive surgery should be your last resort
especially with 2 small kids to take care of.

Good luck.

Rick R on 11/17/03 at 13:28 (137736)

I'm a desk jockey but at any rate I had my surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. I only had one side done and used crutches for one month. I consider my surgery a great success. I have not done the research on EWST but I would if I ever face the surgery decision again. It may be an oversight but I didn't see you mention tape. For me taping was a major breakthrough. I have posted profusely on the topic so feel free to bore yourself to death. If I can answer any questions on my goofy methods please ask. My final doctor (to date) was also very reluctant to cut. I was at it for 13 years and wish I had the surgery far earlier. I was at a point where I was more than wiling and ready to give up on the notion of ever being 100% better. In my opinion, that's a point you need to reach before seriously considering surgery.

Rick

dave r on 11/17/03 at 13:36 (137737)

Rick, how much of the fascia did your doctor cut when you had surgery?

Rick R on 11/17/03 at 13:55 (137740)

Dave,

I couldn't tell you exactly but I am lead to believe it was quite extensive. I was told to expect a 1/2 hour proceedure and it took 1 & 1/2 hours due to the scar tissue beyond expectations. I also had a spur that was worse than I have seen in any photo. It looked like Italy hanging there in the Mediterranean. My heel used to be this big old knob now it looks just like everybody elses in the family, not to mention my own right heel. I couldn't tell you if that was swelling or scar tissue.

Rick

BrianJ on 11/17/03 at 17:13 (137765)

J Fisher --

I've had bilateral PF for more than 5 years, so I know what you're going through. I agree with Rick that taping can be helpful -- especially if you know you're going to be on your feet alot (airport, sporting event, etc.).

Before surgery, you should definitely check out ESWT. It might help and it almost certainly won't hurt (except your wallet).

I would not recommend any more expensive orthotics. If all your previous orthotics have not helped, it's unlikely the new ones will. I've been down that road.

Finally, I want to say that surgery is a very personal decision. Do your research. Make sure your doctor is the best. Then, decide if the risk/reward ratio is acceptable to you. They're your feet and it's your decision.

Good luck.

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 17:18 (137766)

About the part of your question in which you asked about the insoles from The Good Feet Store/informercial type: if you do a search on this website under the message board search section, you will find quite a few posts pertaining to this product. It is my recollection that all, or almost all, of them were very negative toward this product, but you can read them for yourself. Have you read The Heel Pain book on this website? Just click on it where indicated. Many here praise taping for its great help to them; you will see a video for that here (although I cannot seem to access it ever! I hope you can, if interested..)

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 17:29 (137771)

About the part of your question in which you asked about the insoles from The Good Feet Store/informercial type: if you do a search on this website under the message board search section, you will find quite a few posts pertaining to this product. It is my recollection that all, or almost all, of them were very negative toward this product, but you can read them for yourself. Have you read The Heel Pain book on this website? Just click on it where indicated. Many here praise taping for its great help to them; you will see a video for that here (although I cannot seem to access it ever! I hope you can, if interested..) Have you looked at the information about the Personal Foot Trainers which have helped many people here (www.foottrainers.com), including me. Types of shoes make a huge difference in the status of this condition. There are various exercises which most people find helpful to one degree or another, including yoga movements, some of which you can find here under 'yoga.' They were provided by one of the regular, very helpful posters, Julie, an experienced yoga teacher with her own PF experience. There are so many posters here with relevant experience and knowledge and plain old 'smarts' who know what you are going through and who can share with you so much about products, shoes, surgery, treatments and so on. I can't speak to your surgery questions because I would avoid it at all costs, but as you can see, there are opinions and experiences on all sides of the question. Before surgery, have you read about/learned about/considered ESWT?? There is also MUCH information on this website about that, both in the message boards and in its own subject category.
Many people here currently or historically work fulltime and have small children and have foot problems ranging from mild to severe. They will not only understand what you are going through but can give you advice and share their experiences. Try very hard to calm down, take a deep breath and think very carefully before making that surgery decision. It might be the best decision for you, but make it with all possible information and as a last resort, IMHO. Best wishes ~

Dorothy on 11/17/03 at 17:33 (137772)

I have no idea why this section duplicated, but I must have hit something unintentionally. Skip this one and go to the longer one that is complete. Sorry.

Terry M on 11/19/03 at 18:47 (138007)

To Rick R,

Just got back from the Doctors today and they suggested surgery - I've been fighting this for over a year now and it's getting worse.

What is the taping breakthrough you are talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Terry