Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How Fast is your internet provider?

Posted by John H on 11/17/03 at 17:07 (137763)

I post this every once in while so you can find out how fast you internet provider is. Currently I use SBC.global.yahoo.net and my speed is 968mbs

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

Re: How Fast is your internet provider?

Kathy G on 11/17/03 at 17:18 (137767)

Hi John!

I'm currently connected via AOL Broadband and my speed is 671 kbps. I know it's not as fast as my daughter who has Comcast broadband. Hers is like lightening! We don't have many options in our town. Our local cable company offers DSL but they lose more customers than they gain since they are always down. We have just one cable company and it owns all the cables and is asking an outrageous selling price for the rights so we're stuck with them. Thankfully, their cable service is good.

Friends have AT&T and they are dreadful. They seem to be off line more than they're on. So far, AOL has only been down three times in as many years and twice it was due to storms so I can't complain.

marie on 11/17/03 at 18:36 (137783)

An hour ago it was 580 Kbps right now it is 264 Kbps. I don't know all the variables that can change speed. Do you know why it flucuates?

marie

Re: OK you win!

marie on 11/17/03 at 18:37 (137784)

:)

Lari S. on 11/17/03 at 19:13 (137788)

Well, I know I'm a 'speed demon', but earlier I had a whopping 4.8kbps! :o I finally gave up when it wouldn't even open IE. I'm at a 'blazing' 24.4 right now. Eventually, the 19th century will catch up with us out here in the boonies. ;)
Lari

Sher A on 11/17/03 at 19:47 (137793)

I have broadband (Cox) and average around 1.2mps. Cox got a rocky start out here, but now they're just great! And no, I don't work for them. Their tech support is really on the ball - I called with a problem once that turned out not to even be related to the service. They walked me through fixing it anyway - some IE file got corrupted and I couldn't go anywhere but 127.0.0.1 or some such address. The speed is great for downloading and such, but web pages are so bogged down with loading ads and connecting to other sites to load ads that I still have to wait forever for those, so it really doesn't matter how fast the connection is. So far I've found that google's toolbar is the best for blocking popups.

I also have a dialup service, both these are backups for each other :) A couple years ago I was getting absolutely terrible connect speeds. Until one day I actually listened to the dialing and the handshake and also a Chinese radio station coming in crystal clear on top of it all. Had the phone company out to put a suppressor on the phone line and that took care of that! So I'm pretty happy with both services.

Suzanne D. on 11/17/03 at 22:14 (137803)

Well mine is at 38 kbps right now - which seems to about equal the speed at which I speak! :D As Lari said, out here in 'the boonies' we don't have as many options for the high speed technology.

Suzanne :)