Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

YOUR PAIN LEVEL AFTER TAKING PAIN MED??

Posted by Michael K on 11/18/03 at 08:09 (137826)

Hello all just a little curious on what your pain level is before and after taking your pain med. and what pain med are you using. After taking pain med does your pain level ever drop to zero mine never does mine drops to a one or two level. After being in pain so long even pain levels of one or two still can be frustrating is this your opinion? Thanks for being here and I want to add my pain levels are still holding below five for about two weeks now better then the eights and nines I was experiencing. Again Thanks, Michael

Re: YOUR PAIN LEVEL AFTER TAKING PAIN MED??

SteveG on 11/18/03 at 09:47 (137831)

Michael - Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think many of us take a presription pain med (other than anti-inflamatories). Aspirin and celebrex, etc, have a pretty modest effect on my pain level -- it's more dependent on activity level.

Bud P. on 11/18/03 at 10:23 (137832)

Michael,
That's about all my pain level drops. Maybe a point or two. Just enough to get through the day. I don't think anyone in pain management ever gets below a 4.
Bud

Michael K on 11/18/03 at 11:12 (137835)

Bud P are you saying all the time your pain level is always above four where 10 is being the highest for pain?? What pain med are you taking and how long have you been in pain?? Are you in pain at night? Where is your pain most of the time located? My pain most of the time is located in the arch area. Plus now my left foot is much better off then my right. My left foot averages between one and three my left between two and six. Thanks Again, Michael

Aly on 11/18/03 at 11:38 (137840)

When I was using the NSAID Nabumetone, I'd say my pain dropped to about a one or zero, depending on the day. But NSAIDS chew up the stomach and mine was no exception, so I had to stop. Truthfully, it numbed up my feet but that just made me walk more and hurt my foot more. So in the end I decided it was better for me to feel the pain, so I'd be sure not to overdue and injure myself further...

Bud P. on 11/18/03 at 13:28 (137853)

Michael,
Yes that what I would say. My pain has always been located almost directly in the center of the heel. My foot hurts when I try to sleep,sit,stand but it sometimes is the most painful when I'm driving. When my leg is half to 3/4 outstretched it seems to make the pain worse.I just had surgery on the 10th and I can't tell yet if it worked.
Michael,I go to a very good pain center located in Naples, Fl. I also attend therapy pain sessions in a group. Talking to everyone there in the group I get the impression that 4 out of 10 is about the norm. Just my observation. The pain never goes away unless the source is eliminated.So I think pain management just keeps it or tries to keep it in check.I'd like to add that I was already involved with pain management before I got PF.The PF has been worse than what I was being treated for.

BrianG on 11/18/03 at 17:08 (137880)

I have to echo what Bud has said. Pain meds will not make chronic pain go totally away, unless you take them like Rush Limbaugh. He decided, on his own, to take more and more, than he was ever prescribed. Unfortunatly he falls in the 5% catagory that starts taking pain meds for legitimate pain, but for whatever reason, decide that they will take much more than perscribed. I can almost see why he did it, myself. It's called 'chasing the dragon' by some people. To keep his pain at the lowest number possible, he had to abuse his meds. Everone else that takes pain meds on a daily basis will soon develope a 'tollerance'. The major debilitating pain will be gone, but there will always be pain of a lesser type. Once a person is at a level of pain management that treats the worst of the pain, they will still have to deal with pain, of a different strength. It's less, but it's always there. Unfortunatly it's just a fact of life when taking opiates. Most people can go a year, or even much longer, but will eventually need an increase.

Hopefully the researchers will develope a new drug that will take care of chronic pain, without all the side effects of the opiates. I have no doubt that it will happen, as there are fortunes ($$$) to be made! Many large companies have been working this issue for years. Until they develope that perfect pain reliever, the chronic painers of the world will have to decide for themselves whether the side effects of the opiates are worth the trade off, for relief of the worst of the pain. Personally, my life wouldn't be worth a nickle if I had to taper off my daily meds!!! I appreciate them, for what they are.

I would say my pain is usually about a 5. Without the meds it would be an 8, or 9. To me, a 10 is the worst, like maybe having your arm taken off in a chainsaw accident!!

OK, I'm off the soap box for now :*)
BrianG

John H on 11/18/03 at 18:17 (137887)

What I want to know is what does Rush do now for his back pain? It just did not go away because he went to rehab.

Bud P. on 11/18/03 at 18:23 (137891)

John,
He probably has some extreme right wing miracle. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Dorothy on 11/19/03 at 02:54 (137914)

Yes, I've been wondering this, too. I don't listen to his program, so I wouldn't know if he has mentioned anything about this. Have you heard about this aspect of his condition? I mean, I wonder - does he have some new RX now - does he have one of the Medtronic pumps that Jerry Lewis had implanted -
There was much ado about all of this but little actual information.
In my opinion, the worst thing he (apparently/allegedly) did was to use his housekeeper to obtain the drugs he wanted. That's rotten. On the other hand, she could have said: no.

Re: YOUR PAIN LEVEL BUD P

Bud P. on 11/19/03 at 08:26 (137924)

Michael,
Send me an email and I'll give you the meds and the regiment that I'm on.

Kathy G on 11/19/03 at 09:01 (137933)

Michael,

I have yet to find a pain killer that affects my PF pain. I take Vioxx and discovered when I went on vacation one week and forgot it, that it helps somewhat. I actually take that drug more for inflammation from tendonitis and arthritis. I sometimes take an Axocet in the evening on a bad day and it does dull the pain somewhat. Axocet is not a common drug; it's a combination of tylenol and butalbital, very similar to Fioricet but without the caffeine. I am sensitive to caffeine so it's a good option for me.

I am currently taking Ultram for chronic arthritis pain and it doesn't do much for PF pain. I'm not sure anyone has found a pain killer that really hits the PF pain. I've never tried any controlled drugs, such as Oxycontin, etc. because they are for acute, not chronic, pain.

As for pain levels, I am terrible at rating my pain on the pain scale of 1-10 so I can't tell you what level my pain is at any given time.

Good luck and remember, PF is not forever!

Bud P. on 11/19/03 at 10:15 (137942)

Aly,
I agree. The NSAIDS only screwed up my stomach. I never got any relief from any of them,not for my feet. They did help somewhat for arthritis pain.

john h on 11/19/03 at 10:57 (137951)

Kathy: What is your dosage on the Ultram? Are you taking Ultracet which also has Tylenol or straight Ultram. When I received a prescription it was for 1-2 50mg tablets every 4 hours as needed. I found it somewhat effective for back pain but no help for PF. I never did notice any side effects but did check my liver function after about 4 mothns. I think the most I ever took was 4 tablets in one day. As you know Ultram is now generic and they introduced the much more expensive Ultracet which just added tylenol.

john h on 11/19/03 at 11:01 (137952)

Kathy: think of pain level this way:

Level 10 is like a kidney stone or having a baby (so i am told).

Level 5 is like staying out all night with the boys and missing the big dinner your wife prepared and facing her in the morning.

Level 1 is like missing the cutoff man on a throw from the outfield to home plate and allowing the winning run to take second.

Michael K on 11/19/03 at 11:18 (137953)

Buddy P I sent the email here is what I received back. You can see my email below. Thanks, Michael
Your mail to the following recipients could not be delivered because they are not accepting mail from (email removed):
buddypalmer13

Michael K on 11/19/03 at 11:21 (137954)

Buddy P I sent the email here is what I received back. You can see my email below. Thanks, Michael
Your mail to the following recipients could not be delivered because they are not accepting mail from (email removed):
buddypalmer13

Kathy G on 11/22/03 at 09:54 (138354)

John,

I haven't been able to post due to arthritis problems and just saw your definition of pain levels and I love it!

I am taking Ultram, 50mg., three times a day. I add an extra strength tylenol to it since the reason they came up with Ultracet was that tylenol seems to enhance the Ultram's efficacy. That, and the fact that their patent had run out on Ultram but that's another story. There's less Ultram in the Ultracet and it's also cheaper to take the generic Ultram and throw in the tylenol on my own.

The only side effect I find is a dry mouth but it is getting less as times goes by. What I do like about it is that it doesn't make me spacey and so I can drive when I take it. I find it's very important to take it on time so I have a handy-dandy vial of it in my purse so I'm not without it. I've been trying to take it every five hours and I'm trying to take two a day and getting by with Axocet in the evening. I'm doing this just because my PCP is pretty sure I have seronegative rheumatoid arthritis and the reason he wrote for only three a day was because he says the time will be coming when I'll need to up the dose. I find it really helps the arthritis pain but not the PF and not the tendonitis pain.

Thanks for the new guidelines for pain!

Re: Kathy, you had it backwards.....B

BrianG on 11/22/03 at 10:29 (138360)

Hi Kathy,

Just a quick correction, if you don't mind. The long acting, controled opiates, like OxyContin, ARE for chronic pain. Short term drugs, like Percodan and Vicodan, are for acute pain.

Regards
BrianG

Re: Kathy, you had it backwards.....B

Bud P. on 11/22/03 at 16:34 (138390)

Brian,
I think you sent this to the wrong person. Bud

Re: This is for Bud.....B

BrianG on 11/23/03 at 19:37 (138500)

Hi Bud,

I know that sometimes it looks like it is under the wrong post, but you have to go back to the post a little bit further back, which in this case was Kathy G. First you responded to her, and then I responded to her. It looks at first glance that I was answering you, but you really have to go to Kathy's post, and look down at the replies. Both yours and mine are directly under hers. If I was responding to you, my post would be off to the right side (of yours) a little bit, just like this one will be. It can really get confusing, especially during a long thread.

Laters
BrianG

Re: This is for Bud.....B

Bud P. on 11/24/03 at 05:28 (138530)

Brian,
I'm new at this ,thanks for being patient with me.

Bud