Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splints

Posted by Lupe L. on 11/18/03 at 09:19 (137828)

Has anyone ever use Night Splints? And have they helped. I have been suffering with PF for about a year 1/2, and I really don't know what else I can do besides the icing and strecthing. I have an appointment with my doctor in two days. I will probably receive another cortisone shot to both of my feet, but, in my last visit he had mentioned, a shock wave treat has anyone ever had this shock wave treat done.

Re: Night Splints

Jen L on 11/18/03 at 11:36 (137839)

Lupe,
I think your doctor meant ESWT when he mentioned a shock wave treatment. If you click on the Message Board Home, and then ESWT, you will see a lot of postings about the procedure. I had it done in the summer, and it has given me some improvement. Generally it may work very well for typical cases of P.F.
I tried using night splints too, but unfortunately it interferes with my sleep too much. So I wear them during the day when I am resting. But I believe what was mentioned on the board, the most effective time to use the nightsplints is at night when we are asleep and the fascia is at peak time healing but tends to tighten up due to inflammation and injuries.
Good luck.

Lupe L. on 11/18/03 at 11:58 (137843)

Thanks, for the Info Jen. This message board and website seems to be a really good place get some good information on PF. Now, I have found individuals that understand what I am going through. Thanks again Jen!

Oscar R on 11/18/03 at 12:45 (137846)

Lupe,

I'm suffering witch PF about a yaear and 9 month. In my desesperation i went to a new doctor who offer me that treatment SHOCK WAVES...this was applied to my at september 3...it's been 2 1/2 month and nothing even happens...i was reading and some doctors mention that the effects can take 3 or 4 month in appears, other research shows that shock waves doesn't work at all...I don't know...i'm little confuse right know...i'm just hopeing that I am the exception to that research..

PD: here in Chile the treatment cost $US 400 for feet...i have PF in my both feets

Ans: how painful the cortisone infiltration is?

Jane on 11/18/03 at 12:57 (137849)

Yes I have the ones similar to the nice'stretch. Yes they feel much better in the morning but you have to lay on your back or try to get comfortable on your side....it's worth it. I haven't used mine in a while but every so often if I've had a tough day I will wear them. I think it's worth it.

rsk on 11/19/03 at 08:43 (137928)

I have had abt 3 shots and 4 sesions of ESWT. Shots didnt help. ESWT seems to be a controversial treatment. some swear by it and sme dont. But the good thing with ESWT is that it does not have any adverse effect and the bad thing is that it is bloody expensive and hurts like hell without anesthesia. Shots on the other had are not good as far as i am concerned. Given a choice I would choose ESWT over shots. As for nite splints, i just bought the one from this site a couple of days ago and used for abt 2 nites. it does not cause that much discomfort. but towards early nmorning i wake up once and loosen it a bit. As for the effectiveness I guess i have to use it for some more time before i know it.

hope that helps

rsk

Bud P. on 11/20/03 at 14:31 (138110)

RSK,
I used a night splint faithfully for 6 months. Dr even had me try and use it anytime I was sitting. I never got any positive results using it