Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Baby is home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 11/19/03 at 08:38 (137927)

All I can say is that by the wonderful grace of God, our son came home yesterday with no sign of fluid in his lungs. Also, the three holes in his heart are all healed!!!! I am very happy, but tired..haha. Mom and daughter are doing great too. Thanx for the prayers that went up for him. Now it's time to adjust to both children. Bring on the coffee. haha
Richard

Re: Baby is home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy G on 11/19/03 at 08:48 (137931)

Richard,

I am so happy that your family is now home and together! It must have been very scary, waiting for his heart to heal and the fluid to dissipate. Did your wife have to come home before he did? I've always felt so badly for mothers who had to leave their newborns behind in the hospital.

You're right. Coffee will be your new best friend for a while but it'll be worth it!

Thanks for the update!

marie on 11/19/03 at 11:22 (137956)

Enjoy your little guy!

Suzanne D on 11/19/03 at 11:51 (137959)

Oh, good, Richard! I've been looking every day for an update from you. I am thankful your son is home now.

You have helped many people here out of the goodness of your heart, and so - when you needed it - you had the prayers and support of people from all over the country for your little son. That's how one good thing leads to another!

Best wishes,
Suzanne :)

Julie on 11/19/03 at 11:53 (137962)

Richard, I'm so glad and relieved for you!

JudyS on 11/19/03 at 12:37 (137966)

Ah Richard - GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

Can't wait to see some pics of little Golden.....

Re: Golden and Honey Graham pictures haha

Richard, C.Ped on 11/19/03 at 12:57 (137969)

http://www.pbase.com/cpedrich/inbox

Thanks all!!!
Richard

Pauline on 11/19/03 at 13:06 (137971)

Richard,
They both look perfect in every way. Remember to count your blessings. Your a very lucky Daddy.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/19/03 at 13:12 (137972)

What a sweet baby! Sweet as honey. :)

I'm so happy for you and your wife.

Carole C

Aly R. on 11/19/03 at 13:44 (137978)

CUTE!! You must be so happy to have him home. :)

Suzanne D on 11/19/03 at 14:40 (137980)

What a beautiful baby and precious little girl. And she has the 'look' of a good big sister!

Rick R on 11/19/03 at 15:55 (137981)

Richard,

Very cool to see you included your daughter's pictures. I can see you are mindfull of her needs in this special time in her life. What a nice family you have made. Oh, yea I sure your wife helped some.

Rick

marie on 11/19/03 at 16:42 (137984)

Now that's one sweet little guy! Congratulations to you and your family.

John H on 11/19/03 at 17:42 (137997)

I cannnot speak for the entire state of Arkansas but I have lived here for nearly 35 years. We,along with Mississippi, and Lousiana are usually last in such important things as education, per capita income, etc. We do laugh at ourselves but do what we can to improve. Few people in our state would take offense at such a expression of humor as I posted. If that is upsetting then one needs to lighten up. If this post upsets two of you what s should I do? Quit posting? Who is to decide what is humor and what is insensitivity? If this is that insensitive then perhaps I do not belong here. I am just a bit upset that this seems to bother you. I would not at all be supprised if this did not originate in the Department of Engineering at the U. of Arkansas. Perhaps the board monitor should step in and delete this post. 99% of us should not be censored because 1% might be offended or have lost all sense of humor. I make no apology for this post. You can read into it what you want as its content is in they eye of the beholder.It was posted with all the good intentions of making some nesmile. Some found it humorous and a couple found it insensitive and most could probably care less.

Dorothy on 11/19/03 at 18:12 (138005)

I'm not asking you to apologize. I certainly do not want you to quit posting. I don't ask you to try to alter what you find funny. I do not ask you to share my sense of humor. People who know me actually find me to be very funny. Just because I do not always find everything that anyone says to be funny, including you, does not mean that I have no sense of humor or that I need to 'lighten up.' I think I have tried - again and again, in this case and in the past - to express MY opinion in response to your freedom to express YOURS. That doesn't seem to sit well with you. I have asked nothing of you about this or anything else. I EXPRESSED MY OPINION!! You have done so as well. I do not think you are less of a fine person or less of a funny man or less of a decent man because of that post. I was commenting on that type of humor. And I also do not apologize for my opinion of it.
You can think whatever you want to about whatever you think is funny or not. Your sense of humor is your own. As is mine. I feel that I have tried to be nice to you many times. I give up, John. You and I got off on the wrong foot some time back and, although I thought there was some reduction in friction, apparently there is not. I have NO NEGATIVE FEELINGS WHATSOEVER FOR YOU. I am sure your last sentence is absolutely correct.
NO ONE, INCLUDING ME, WOULD EVER WANT YOU TO QUIT POSTING!! For crying out loud, that is a manipulative statement that can only be meant to make me feel bad for expressing my opinion. I will not be involved in another of these ongoing arguments here. Maybe your feet are well, but mine are not. I value your presence here, just as I value the presence of many others - for a variety of reasons. NO ONE, INCLUDING ME, is mad at you. I was commenting on a particular variety of humor. Let's try to get over this, shall we? No deletions, no rancor, no leaving - just an opinion, that's all. Please do forgive me for being so brazen as to think I had the equal right to express myself as you do..(yes, sarcasm there.)
If my post about the jokes made YOU feel bad, I am sorry. I do NOT want that. I wanted to draw attention to that kind of humor and to express my opinion about it. If someone told me those jokes in person, or some other kinds of jokes, I would very likely say that I don't really enjoy 'hillbilly jokes'. So what!! I don't expect anybody to change for me, but I also am a freethinking, freespeaking human being. You are a monitor so delete this if you want. I don't really give a rip. I didn't have one bad feeling or thought for you, John. I would never tell another person to 'lighten up' or that other ridiculous charge, 'get a life' because they only serve to try to invalidate another person's experience.
So, I consider you my virtual foot friend and will continue to do so. Whether you feel in kind about me is up to you and is entirely your business.

Re: John

Julie on 11/20/03 at 03:41 (138031)

John

Yesterday I said 'I do know that you posted them to amuse us, and not to offend, and I wasn't offended'. I meant that, and although I am sorry you are upset, I'm not sorry I expressed my view.

My view concerned the jokes themselves, not the person who told them. Please be clear about the distinction. I don't like jokes that make others the butt of them, and reinforce stereotypes, because they are not kind, not even when you, whom I know to be kind, tell them. This is what I think, and I said it because it's something I feel rather strongly about.

I didn't ask for the post to be deleted. You were entitled to post it, and others thought it funny. But I am equally entitled to say what I feel about this kind of humour. Its objective is to put down people who are at a disadvantage of one kind or another, and it is hurtful.

Of course I know that this is NOT necessarily the intention of the person who tells the jokes. I know that they are often told in innocence of the hurt they may be inflicting, and I know that is true in this case. And my opinion of the jokes in this case has nothing to do with my feelings for you, whom I have regarded as a friend for several years now and still do. I just don't like that kind of humour. That's all.

I've put this post here, in response to yours, though neither belongs on the Baby is Home thread. (Poor baby!)

john h on 11/20/03 at 09:34 (138062)

My pasted thread is so much milder than Saturday Night Live, The Jay Leno Show, All in They Family, The Jeffersons, Queer Eyes for Straight Guys and on and on. Humor is very much based on making people the butt of jokes. Our President, our state Governor and others often make fun of themselves. Even Al Gore who is as straight as they come made more fun of himself than anything I posted. Many of the more successful TV shows are based on ethnic, racial, and sexual orientation. Some people may be offended by them but the facts are the stars are often of the persuasion that the humor is directed towards. The world and life is tough enough. I have a couple of acquaintences that humor absolutely flys over their heads and I sometimes have to explain to them that a comment or joke is just that. I cannot adjust my life around these couple of guys and they have come to learn a little bit more about humor. A couple of the very successful English TV comedy shows here in the U.S. are Waiting For God and one with a name I forget but one of the main characters is a Gay guy who works in a department store. I hardly think the Gays are offended by this show. It would be very easy to pick a joke to death in todays PC world but I think most people accept jokes for what they are and we all need to smile just a little bit more. Certainly I know there are offensive jokes and humor and they are usually intended to be offensive. Southern jokes like I have posted have been around all my life and we in the south can find a lot of humor in them because there is just enough truth in them to make them humorous to most people. I will drop this subject for now. I was angry yesterday but I am not today. By the way did you hear the one about the traveling salesman and------------------/

nancy s. on 11/20/03 at 10:12 (138069)

i lean toward kathy's and john's take on the joke list john posted. i think if others are offended they certainly have a right to state that (and so articulately! ;)
and i've heard plenty of jokes in my life i thought were offensive. this just wasn't one of them. heck, i didn't even understand 3/4 of the items, but i did smile at a few. john has made me laugh a million times since i first encountered him here in 1999 -- if a few attempts didn't make me laugh, it was not a big deal. i do tend to enjoy spontaneous funniness most, and john you have always provided plenty of that too.

long ago someone posted a 'blonde' joke, and a few people were offended and said so succinctly, and a few others appreciated the joke, and that was the end of it.

maybe living in maine for the past 15 years has given me a taste for variety in sense of humor. just as one example, many french-candians live in and around my area. they have no trouble enjoying whatever quirks others (and they themselves) associate with their heritage. in fact, for several years a french-canadian guy who called himself 'Frenchie' had a local radio program that often included some french-canadian humor, and everyone (mostly french-canadian themselves) loved it. then someone complained and they actually got Frenchie taken off the air. he was brokenhearted, and so were most of his listeners. i thought it was a shame -- an example of pc-ism taken too far.

although there are times when humor is meant to be hurtful, and i deplore that, i don't like to see the baby thrown out with the bath water. and in general, if people can laugh at themselves, either as individuals or as a group, i think it's a sign of good health.

i was never happier than when i at last learned to laugh at myself on a variety of levels (and when was that? probably as my adolescence ended, approximately age 36!).

nancy

Kathy G on 11/20/03 at 10:17 (138070)

Great finale, John!

marie on 11/20/03 at 11:25 (138080)

Glad you're not mad today. I loved your post and I won't apologise for that either. :)

smile on, marie

Re: John...

Suzanne D on 11/20/03 at 13:38 (138099)

Hello, John! I just checked in quickly during a break and am sorry to read that you were upset yesterday. I hope you did not think I was offended. I think you saw the post which showed my reaction, and I laughed and stated that I was laughing at myself. :)

I later read Dorothy's post and said that I understood and would never seriously deride my state or area. But I did not think your joke did that. I wrote about my in-laws and their constant joking and how I learned to just joke back. But the joke didn't offend me.

I wasn't sure if you thought I was offended since your post is under one of mine here. I just want to clear that up. I'm always sorry when someone is upset.

I am really tired, and my feet have been hurting a lot. I like to come here for friendship and support and don't like to see people being hurt and misunderstood. Please know I wasn't offended. I hope you understood my posts.

JudyS on 11/20/03 at 14:38 (138113)

John - I sure hope you understand that there's no need to be angry and I hope you're OK now.

I guess the world, including all of us, is still learning it's way when it comes to joking sort of at the expense of a group of people. Some will take offense, some will take note, and some will laugh along with the joke.
It's such a gray area!

But the good thing here is that any of us involved in the discussion can relax knowing that no insult was intended from anyone -

Re: John...

marie on 11/20/03 at 14:53 (138119)

Suzanne,

Take care of those footsies!

marie

Re: John/Nancy

Julie on 11/20/03 at 16:23 (138134)

I'm glad you're not angry today, John, and no, I haven't heard the one about the....

;)

Nancy, I wasn't offended (just stating a view) so I couldn't have been very articulate.

I guess.

:(

Ellen J on 11/20/03 at 18:40 (138156)

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you and your family. Now it's time to invest in some really good gourmet coffee since you'll be staying up at nights for awhile and you might as well enjoy the caffeine experience.
This said by a coffee lover!
I'm very happy for you.
Ellen

wendyn on 11/20/03 at 19:39 (138165)

Where is Richard in the pictures, I don't see him!?