Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My experience with MSM

Posted by Kathy G on 11/19/03 at 09:28 (137937)

It's been about four weeks since I started taking MSM and since I am less fearful that I am tempting the fates, I will tell you that I am cautiously optimistic about the affects it is having on my feet. I have been taking 1,000 mg. daily and after a week or so, I was amazed at the difference in my feet. The pain in my arches and metatarsal area has lessened and the pain in my heels is present only rarely. This is so amazing that I keep thinking it's a fluke but it's been for quite a while now! I have been careful not to overdo it but I have increased my activity somewhat and even have taken a couple of short walks and the pain level has not increased as dramatically as it would have previously. Yesterday, for example, I walked quite a bit and while my feet feel it today, the discomfort is nothing like it would have been pre-MSM and my HEELS don't hurt!

I have started taking it twice a day, this week, as the recommended doseage is usually 2,000 mg.

Ironically, my arthritis pain hasn't lessened and that's the reason I was taking it in the first place but I will gladly accept pain reduction anywhere I can get it!

My arthritis pain is much more controlled since my PCP prescribed Ultram two weeks ago. It definitely isn't the Ultram that's helping the foot pain as my feet started to improve before the introduction of Ultram.

So I encourage you all to give MSM a try. It's water soluble so your body will excrete anything it doesn't need and although there are no longterm studies yet available on it, many rheumatologists are recommending it so I think it's a safe supplement. In my case, I bought it at Costco because their Kirkland brands have been tested and come out so high in many consumer tests and I trust them. I'm sure there are many other brands out there that are just as trustworthy.

Remember I am the original doubting Thomas and I really didn't believe that this would help me at all. Whether the improvement will disappear as it did when I tried Arnica several years ago for my tendonitis, I don't know. All I know is that if the good Lord decided to give me RA, he was kind enough to provide me with MSM to help get rid of one other source of pain!

Re: What is MSM?

Maria S. on 11/19/03 at 14:06 (137979)

What exactly is MSM? I've been taking a glucosamine/chondroitin complex for years. I've seen other brands with MSM listed as an ingredient. Do the they do the same things? Or is MSN just another name for glucosamine/chondroitin?

Re: My experience with MSM

marie on 11/19/03 at 16:51 (137986)

I'm so glad to hear that you've had such great improvement. I have been taking it for almost a year now. I swear by msm, glucosamine and magnesium. I also had almost immediate success. Kathy I am so excited for you!!!!!=D> I went from a 35% walking ability to about 90-95% walking ability. Oh hurray! =D>Kathy is feeling a little better! I get excited when people have a little success...can't help it. Hurray! Hurray!=D>

Your post made my day!

Kathy on 11/19/03 at 20:09 (138013)

MSM is one of the many things I've tried over the last month & it seems to be helping. I'm taking 1000mg daily plus applying the lotion to my arches. I'm still wearing my removable walking cast along with taping so I think that has helped my TTS. But still have heel pain when driving. How many MSM mgs do most people take daily? Should I be taking more?

Julie on 11/20/03 at 02:59 (138030)

Maria

MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane. It's not the same as glucosamine/chondroitin, but is also used for arthritic and related conditions. Here's a link to a site that sells it in its various forms, but also contains a good deal of information.

http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com/

Kathy G on 11/20/03 at 08:32 (138046)

I didn't see the question until today and Julie answered it perfectly. In fact, after doing a search the other day, I sent my brother-in-law that same link. It's a great source of information and while, cynic that I am, I wonder if it really does all that the site claims, it was the best explanation of what MSM is that I could find.

I, too, take Glucosamine w/chondrointin, Marie. I'm hopeful. Today my feet hurt a bit but that's because I overdid it three days in a row. Still, they aren't as bad as they would have been pre-MSM!

Julie on 11/20/03 at 08:42 (138049)

Hi Kathy

I was waiting for you to answer Maria because I remembered that you knew more about it than anyone, and then decided you were probably away so I jumped in. Actually, I must confess that I DIDN'T have methylsulfonylmethane in my head and had to look it up, which is how I found the site. I'm glad you think it's useful.

marie on 11/20/03 at 16:57 (138144)

I take 1000 mg

Sharon sent something about dosages. I'll have to look around for it.

marie on 11/20/03 at 17:01 (138146)

Stick with it. I know that when I get lazy for a few days and forget to take it I do notice. About a year ago I visited a local health food store. The owner has fibromyalgea. She reccomended msm with glucosamine. She told me that it was the only reason why she could still run a business. I was skeptical at first but I must say I did notice a difference.

Kathy G on 11/22/03 at 09:32 (138349)

Kathy,

By the way, I love your name! I take 1,000 mg of it daily but the directions on the bottle say to take it once or twice a day. My theory was that if one was helping, maybe I should increase the doseage, so that's what I'm doing. Since it's a natural remedy, the FDA has not set a minimum daily requirement.

Kathy L on 12/30/03 at 11:54 (140926)

Kathy G. Your message is so great to hear. After I started my postings on Aug. 9th, asking others to try the experiment with MSM, I was hopeful it would work for someone else. My experience in trying MSM was entirely accidental. I haven't been to this board for 2 months, and today have searched the archives and see others now who are posting positive things about MSM. The postings on MSM have been so rewarding to my ears. A simple supplement to help the body heal can save tens, maybe hundreds of dollars of going to the doctor. I believe I am completely cured, I haven't thought about PF for the last two months, I no longer wear gel pads in my shoes. Good luck to everyone!