Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ok it's story time

Posted by marie on 11/19/03 at 18:56 (138009)

When I was about 8 years old we were living in Decatur GA. Across the street from my house was about 90 acres of woods and about 45 acres of swamp, brush and a crik. I spent most of my time in the woods as homelife wasn't always so great. On the other side of the woods a family set up their home, yes they were----insert politically correct term----hill folks. They lived in a discarded truck cab. they had shimmied up the telephone pole and had wires running from the pole to the truck cab. There were 4 boys and 2 girls. Since they were squatting I sort of stumbled on them by accident. They had a bunch of chickens and in a tiny tiny pin they had 3 pigs. It was way to small for pigs. So on several occasions I snuck up and let the pigs out of their pen. Off the pigs would go and out the boys would come to chase after them. Finally one day I got caught. I was a skinny whisp of a thing so I thought I was well hidden behind a pine tree. One of the boys with a sawed off shot gun in hand told me to come out. I stepped out. Then he asked 'Why do you keep letting our pigs out of the pen?' I pumped up my chest and proudly proclaimed 'PIGS MUST BE FREE!'

He about fell over laughing but I was serious. So I said it again, 'PIGS MUST BE FREE'. I must have just been ornery enough or so ridiculous in my proclaimation that he let me go.

PS: Later he showed me how to skin a snake for a belt. He also taught me how to track an animal and build a trap.

marie

Re: ok it's story time

Ann J on 11/20/03 at 06:13 (138034)

Do you have any snake belts? cute story!

Rick R on 11/20/03 at 15:34 (138127)

Marie,

That was a great story. I just wish it could have been shared around the campfire where all great stories need to be told. I traveled south several times in my first year in the working world, otherwise known as 1978. Several memories are indelibly etched in what I pass off as a brain. In the airport in Birmingham I went out of my way to get the door for an old, perhaps ancient, gentleman in a wheelchair. He turned his shoulders and head a bit, but avoided eye contact, and uttered 'thank you massa' clear as a bell he called me massa. I started to do the math, after all school was for engineering, and that is the sort of thing we are supposed to do, and I concluded I may have been in the presence of the son of former slaves. That put a perspective on things that has left me forever enriched.

Among the other immages are an abandoned freight train on a line somewhere between Millegeville(Sp?) Ga. (former capitol) and Dothan Al. It was covered in Kudzu but every so often I'd catch a glimpse of the folks living in the box cars, mostly children.

Rick

marie on 11/20/03 at 16:00 (138130)

Frankie dried that king snake skin for a few weeks. It shrunk or he grew because it was too small. I don't know what happened to the snake skin or Frankie and his family. They disapeared one day just like they had never been there. But because of Frankie I am a very good, not great, animal tracker. Have encountered many wild animals in the wilderness.

I don't own any snake skin anything. I am not fond of snakes....I've had too, too many run ins with them.

marie on 11/20/03 at 16:07 (138133)

You're probably correct. I lived in Atlanta (Decatur) GA from 1962-68. It was an interesting time to live there. Things were changing.

I remember my when my big brother would pick me up from school and he'd make me get on the floor of his 57 chevy. He told me that there were some white kids after him because he stopped a fight between a black kid and a white kid. I don't know if the story was true or if he just didn't want anyone to see that he was with his little sister.

marie

Rick R on 11/20/03 at 16:37 (138139)

My best friends X wife told of how once she reached a certian age she was no longer welcome in her best friend's family soda shop because of her color. It was the first time she was even aware it was an issue with anyone.

Rick

marie on 11/20/03 at 16:53 (138143)

Kids are just kids. I never thought much about any of that stuff as a kid. Since my brother was a teenager he was a little more aware of what was going on. I do remember what happened in Selma. My father was in Montgomery when the marchers arrived. I don't know why but the fact that some folks were being denied their right to vote...uh oh. #-o I have to stop now I may be getting into a political issue. Sorry. Its not allowed here anymore.

Lets just say that was a very powerful memory that I always remembered.

best wishes marie

Aly R. on 11/21/03 at 10:26 (138228)

Marie,

I just read your story now - I loved it! I emailed it to my family, we're big on animals & I knew they'd love it. The phrase 'PIGS MUST BE FREE!' will surely pop up between us now and then (we communally have an odd sense of humor!)

Thanks for making us smile~ :)

Aly

marie on 11/21/03 at 17:37 (138293)

Every once in a while there is something that reminds me of that memory. I can't imagine the grief I caused those poor people every time I let the pigs out. But let face it 'PIGS MUST BE FREE'.

Sher A on 11/22/03 at 19:44 (138399)

Getting back to the animals.. that was a hilarious story! I love the phrase 'pigs must be free!' Thank you for that!! I love watching critters and am really good at tracking them too. One thing we really like doing in the spring is walking through the woods and looking for deer antlers that were shed the previous winter. Last spring we found a matching set of 6-pointers, they were about a half mile apart! They aren't that easy to find, but sure are a treasure to come upon!