Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nancy, How did your Dad do?

Posted by Kathy G on 11/20/03 at 10:20 (138071)

How is he feeling? I hope everything went well!

Re: Nancy, How did your Dad do?

nancy s. on 11/20/03 at 10:48 (138076)

hi kathy. my dad's surgery did not go well. the 1-hour hernia repair turned into a 4-hour complicated mess because massive scar tissue from abdominal surgery 6 years ago had bound up his small intestine and twisted it all over the place. the intestine is weak, and perforated and tore in multiple places as soon as the operation began.

he is still in the hospital, and when they get him stabilized he'll be transferred to a rehab hospital. no one knows how much he'll bounce back from this. obviously, it's a much more major setback than we expected. our main worry is whether he'll be able to keep his apt and maintain the independence he had before.

thanks for asking. it's a very stressful time, which is why i haven't been posting much. but the board can be therapeutic, as we all know, so i'm looking forward to its distraction talents once again.

nancy

JudyS on 11/20/03 at 11:43 (138083)

Nancy - I have been through similar experiences with my dad - my prayers are with you.

nancy s. on 11/20/03 at 14:16 (138107)

thanks, judy. you must know how it feels, then. it's harder than one might imagine.

marie on 11/20/03 at 15:52 (138129)

I'm sorry to hear that he's not doing much better. Both my parents are gone now. We had a similar situation. The waiting is hard. Take comfort in knowing that everyone here is pulling for him.

marie

Kathy G on 11/20/03 at 17:33 (138148)

Oh, I'm so sorry, Nancy. I wondered as you hadn't been posting. I came on tonight, before my ZBA meeting, specifically to see if you had answered my question. I know how difficult it is to have one's parent in the hospital and not to know how things will turn out. Yes, it's one of the hardest things I know of.

Take care of yourself and I'll keep him, and you, in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us posted.

Suzanne D. on 11/20/03 at 21:17 (138170)

Same here, Nancy! I've been remembering you and your dad this week in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care!
Suzanne :)

nancy s. on 11/21/03 at 12:54 (138248)

many thanks, all. one day at a time. . . .

i hope everyone has a good foot weekend.

nancy

Sher A on 11/21/03 at 16:58 (138289)

Nancy, I read an article not long ago about whether or not prayer works in helping one to heal. The consensus of opinion was that the people who were prayed for did recover more quickly and more easily. So please take comfort in knowing that you and your dad are in a lot of our prayers - and definitely in mine, my husband's, and my dad's. Yes... one day at a time, and may he be better with each than the day before. Just knowing he has you, and that you're there for him will be a big help, I know. I hope you and your family have a blessed weekend.

nancy s. on 11/21/03 at 17:12 (138290)

your post really touched me, sher. thank you so much.

nancy