Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole C. - Sole Orth.

Posted by Rachael T. on 11/20/03 at 11:18 (138078)

Hi Carole C.....I agree w/ your 'molding' directions rather than the pamphlet that Sole gives to you with the Sole Orth. Too, tho' - it would be difficult to make the orth. sitting as they are pretty firm - but I think that should be 1st given a try before standing on them as the directions say. I wish I had done that....but still - I think the arch might not be 'rigid or firm' enough to 'hold itself' upon wearing for any duration.....I prob. won't return these orth....but 'keep' them in my 'bag of tricks' for a day when my Birks are too hard, my Foot Management Orth. aren't feeling comfy, & so forth....you know 'the change tactic' that usually helps. I saw that you too changed from just 1 birk to another that still had the same footbed & saw improvement....isn't that toooo weird!? I am wondering if one was 'less or more' broken in to your foot & maybe the one that felt good was the one you 'needed on that given day.'

Re: Carole C. - Sole Orth.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/20/03 at 12:51 (138089)

Yes, I know what you mean about change!

You are right about my Birkenstocks. Both my Amsterdam clogs and my Fulda sandals have the high arch version of the Tatami footbed. But, I haven't worn the Amsterdams nearly as much as the Fuldas. The Amsterdams are my least worn Birkenstocks, and barely broken in although I've had them for almost two years. Also, since my toes hit the front of the Amsterdam clogs, the footbed hits my foot slightly differently then the Fuldas, in which my foot can slide a little further forward.

Still, I couldn't keep from smiling and thinking that I couldn't wait to tell my heelspurs.com friends about this! It's just totally crazy that another pair of Birkenstocks with the exact same footbed, would help - - but it's just like PF for something crazy to make a difference, don't you think? lol

Sounds like you did all you could with the Sole orthotics, and maybe the company hasn't quite found the best type of material for them, yet. Good idea to keep these orthotics for days when you need a change. :)

Carole C

Re: Carole and Rachael...

Suzanne D. on 11/20/03 at 21:51 (138180)

Hello to both of you! I sure do understand you both about change and 'what you need on a given day'!

Carole, I know you posted something to me about change and in regard to my feet hurting more lately, but right now I just can't find it! I meant to reply to it, so I'll do so here. I'm glad you found the Amsterdams to be a help right now! I have had the same type experience in the past few days. I had been wearing my Annapolis Birks for several days; then my feet really started hurting worse. I got out my Bostons which have been worn about as often as your Amsterdams. And they felt surprisingly good! Then after a few days, the 'good' wore off, and I am back in my Arizonas (socks and all) now that the weather is cooler. Oh, well...I even found some socks with little pilgrims and turkeys. I try to amuse myself and the children at school with socks for every holiday and season since I have to wear sandals often. It somehow makes it more bearable!

Rachael, I'm sorry the Sole orthotics haven't stood the test of time very well for you. You are to be commended for continuing to try new things and for always being honest with us about the results.

May tomorrow be a good foot day for all of us!
Suzanne :)

Re: Carole and Rachael...

Carole C in NOLA on 11/20/03 at 23:06 (138186)

Suzanne, good luck to you and I hope you can fend off that PF pain a little by changing shoes frequently! You and I may end up getting our money's worth out of our clogs after all. I am still wearing sandals about half of the time too, with socks, just because any change seems to help this week.

Right now I feel like thin socks won't suffice, though, and most of my cuter socks with designs are thin. My medium to thick socks are just plain colors, and old, and look a little drab with sandals but that is what I'm wearing with them.

I should be doing more stretching (but I'm not). If I don't, my weekend will be shot and I'd rather go shopping for artwork than sit home with sore feet.

I've been tackling those banana trees (including a 25' high one today), and that is hard on my feet due to a lot of twisting and odd abrupt movements while sometimes supporting a heavy tree and guiding where it falls. My feet are doing pretty well but a change in shoes sure feels good!

Carole C