Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hey docs, check it out--my post PF surgery!

Posted by Rochelle on 11/20/03 at 18:49 (138159)

I created a website for you! Its for you to view the pics of my foot 4 weeks after surgery-I have an infection..

I had pf surgery in my left foot as well as bone spur removed...

Warning: its pretty gross looking!
http://divagirlusa.tripod.com/ouch
or at
http://divagirlusa.tripod.com

Let me know what you think!
-Rochelle

Re: hey docs, check it out--my post PF surgery!

Rose on 11/20/03 at 21:11 (138169)

Ouch!!!!! My incision is on the bottom of the foot where the heel joins the arch towards the inside of the leg. What is the difference?????

Julie on 11/21/03 at 02:38 (138198)

Rochelle, I've seen the photos and read your description of events, and I would strongly advise you to forget your issues with the doctor and get back to him as soon as possible. DON'T wait till Monday. You clearly have a bad wound infection and Dr Z is almost certainly correct that it needs attention. Eat humble pie, apologise, but see the doctor. If that doesn't work, go to Emergency. Bone infection, should it set in, is very serious.

Bruce M. on 11/21/03 at 07:58 (138213)

Rochelle, That looks aweful!! That's not supposed to look like that at all- my wife had pf surgery a few years ago (without infection) and without a cast after surgery, maybe that made the difference! Hope you listen to Dr. Z and get the help you need as soon as possible!!! B.

marie on 11/22/03 at 19:21 (138396)

Rochelle

Get to a doctor right away. An infection of any kind is extremely serious. I have been hospitalized for infections...I am somewhat sensitive to them. I know just how risky they can be! Please do what you need to do to get well!

best wishes marie

Lari S. on 11/23/03 at 11:46 (138461)

Rochelle,
You really NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR! I have taken pictures of what can happen. The pics are of my left ankle after 2 weeks of daily treatment at the wound care center at our hospital. Granted, I am a type 1 diabetic, but infection is nothing to fool around with. Please take this seriously. The wound cleaning is not any fun, but better than the alternative!
Lari

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35a9da9a423

Scott R on 11/23/03 at 13:44 (138474)

Hey Rochelle and Lori, these are some 'wonderful' pictures. Can i include them in the PF book? Anyone else got some great pics like these? Dr Z, would including pictures like these not be representative of what usually happens after surgery and therefore misleading and should not be included in the book?

Rochelle on 11/23/03 at 18:02 (138489)

wow! Yours looks ALOT worse than mine!!! I showed it to my husband too-it really made our ankles hurt..

Girl, I hope that you take care of yourself! I will pray for you.

Rochelle on 11/23/03 at 18:03 (138490)

Yes, Of course-use my pics anyway that you want to!!!

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/23/03 at 19:55 (138501)

Scott, you asked for Dr. Z, but hopefully you'll accept my opinion. These pictures are not representative of the 'normal' post operative appearance of a foot. Although most people feel these pictures look horrible, in reality I don't think the pictures are that bad! Although there may be an infection, the foot can also look like this post operatively from too much swelling or an allergic type reaction to the suture material, An infection would have redness, swelling, pain, loss of function, increased temperature, fever and possibly pus, odor or drainage. The photographs may just represent a wound dehiscence which is a splitting of the surgical wound. Often this is mistaken for an infection, since there is redness and the wound looks pretty ugly and fluid may be seeping from the wound. Regardless, she should have the area inspected ASAP by her doctor and additional tests such as blood tests, x-rays, etc., should be performed as needed due assess infection vs. dehiscence, etc.

Pauline on 11/23/03 at 20:33 (138510)

Wow. Glad your at a wound clinic for help.

Lari S. on 11/23/03 at 20:59 (138513)

Me, too! I was off antibiotics for a 2 weeks when my foot had started to hurt really bad, was seeping through several layers of wrapping, and I started running a low grade fever. When I called my doc, he said to get right in. He cut off the wrapping and it was pretty nasty. I had already taken antibiotics for 2 weeks after the surgery, and my blood sugar levels were good. (Hemo-A1C was at 5.2) Unfortunately, I still got an infection. Once he got my infection under control and started me at wound therapy it has been steadily improving. I've been going in daily for almost 3 weeks. I would just hate to see some one have to go through an infection if it can be prevented, or at least caught early.
Lari

Lari S. on 11/23/03 at 21:07 (138516)

Scott, while I am sure these pictures are not 'typical' of surgery results, you are more than welcome to them. I just took them this morning so Rochelle could see what COULD happen. I would rather her be safe than sorry. Believe me, those pictures look a LOT better than my incision looked a few weeks ago. It was really red, puffy, and oozing a green and yellow mess.
Lari
Lari