Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ibuprofen cream : study that says it might not work

Posted by Steve on 11/21/03 at 11:49 (138242)

The effect of ibuprofen in a topical cream base is not
much better than a control cream. The effect is much
more substantial if they use a penetration enhancer
like N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone:

Re: Ibuprofen cream : study that says it might not work

Sher A on 11/21/03 at 16:37 (138285)

That's one thing that I am not going to buy, something like aspercreme or ibuprofen cream, jointritis, etc. No one where I work who has had similar PF or joint-related problems has had success with any of those and say not to waste the money. I was not a happy camper a few years ago after rushing to the store for jointritis after hearing an ad about what a miracle it was ($20.00) and all I got was a smelly gooey mess that didn't provide any relief at all. No wonder they added 'results may vary' to their radio ads. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, all those - aren't they meant to be taken internally, to be absorbed by the bloodstream? I don't see how they can do anything when applied externally. Otoh, something like menthol, capsicum, etc. is meant to be absorbed by the skin and applied externally. I was just reading an article about 'Blue Emu' ($29.99) - the ones who will best benefit from its use are those who make money by selling it. I heard an ad for it this morning and laughed my head off - the satisfied user said he ached so badly he could not do a thing and could barely move - until he tried Blue Emu. And then he was totally pain free, totally cured, happier than he had ever been. Come on! If he hurt as badly as he said and that worked as well as he said, well then no one would ever have to see a doctor, in fact no one would have arthritis or whatever ailed him. Just spend $29.99 and you will never hurt again! Wow, incredible!!

Re: Ibuprofen cream : study that says it might not work

Scott R on 11/22/03 at 11:01 (138363)

From what i've been able to find out, 'cream' means a white gel. The cream and gel used in the 12 year old study are a specific types, not to be confused with any other creams or gels on the market today. I've forwarded the link to the ibuprofen cream maker to she if he knows of the article and, if not, maybe he can improve his formulation.