Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

toe pain

Posted by Helena on 11/21/03 at 15:56 (138273)

After PF in my left foot for about 5 mos now, the other foot is acting up in a very wierd way. The lower joint of the toe next to the big toe is inflamed, swollen and of course hurts like hell when I walk. In fact this little joint is causing me more problems now than the foot with PF! Has anybody experienced this or know what it is? I can fully flex the toe, it's the joint and area on the top of the foot just under that toe. I was wondering if I now had gout, arthritis, or something unrelated. This (right) foot also has a major bunion, and an 'inactive' heel spur. THis is so depressing...thanks for any help. Also, while Im at it, there are a number of pricey athletic sandals on the market (Ecco, Merrel) which look supportive and orthotic. Anyone tried a brand that works?

Helena

Re: toe pain

Dorothy on 11/21/03 at 16:03 (138276)

Helena ~ If you enter the search term 'Birkenstock' or 'Birk' in the message board search here, you will get a lot of information re. your sandal question. Be prepared to devote a lot of reading time because there will be a lot of Birkenstock information as that brand has many 'fans' here.

Some others have written about good experience with Merrill and other brands, too. If you do a reading under 'shoes/insoles/...' I forget the entire title of the category here, you will find many discussions of shoes that people like, often in sandal style.

As to your other question, maybe others will have ideas for you...

Dorothy on 11/21/03 at 16:04 (138278)

Helena ~ If you enter the search term 'Birkenstock' or 'Birk' in the message board search here, you will get a lot of information re. your sandal question. Be prepared to devote a lot of reading time because there will be a lot of Birkenstock information as that brand has many 'fans' here.

Some others have written about good experience with Merrill and other brands, too. If you do a reading under 'shoes/insoles/...' I forget the entire title of the category here, you will find many discussions of shoes that people like, often in sandal style.

As to your other question, maybe others will have ideas for you...

I'm sorry you're having these painful feet experiences and hope you find answers and relief. Best wishes ~

Ellen J on 11/21/03 at 16:31 (138284)

Hi Helena,
My sister's husband suffers from Gout occasionally and he gets pain and swelling in the big toe. I don't know if that is what you have, it just sounds alot like his problem. He alters his diet away from too much protein, etc. in order to help prevent the episodes. Hopefully someone can help you with that, but it sounds like you need to see the doctor to really find out what is going on.
Ellen J.

Kathy G on 11/22/03 at 09:14 (138346)

Helena,

Go to your Pod and see if you have a Morton's Neuroma. If you do, you can get a cortisone shot that should help it. If you wear orthotics, they should help it but they may need to be adjusted. The pain I had, and still occasionally get, with my neuroma was in my big toe but my sister who had a typical neuroma had pain in her second toe.

It could be Gout, too. I was highly indignant when they suggested that because I don't drink and I don't eat improperly, but come to find out, you can get Gout even if you don't do any of those things.

I hope you can find some relief soon. Good luck!