Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain with soft cast

Posted by Katie C on 11/22/03 at 10:22 (138359)

A week ago, I sprained my left ankle (grade 2 sprain) and was immediately told to stay off it for a few days. I was concerned because I had surgery on the same ankle 2 yrs ago for a bone chip that didn't heal, so 2 days ago, I went to my podiatrist who had helped with the surgery and he put it in a soft cast, gave me a cast shoe, and confirmed the diagnosis of a grade 2 sprain. He also told me i should probably stay off it for another week, but to use the cast shoe if walking was necessary. Yesterday, I walked around on it for a while because it didn't hurt. This morning, i awoke to severe pain on the outside of my foot. it's about half way between the ball of my foot and my heel. Moving my little toe is possible but causes the pain to worsen, and even laying my hand on the soft cast is painful. The pain makes it difficult to press on, but there seems to be some point tenderness. I can't take the soft cast off, so I don't know if there's any swelling or redness. Any ideas on what could be causing this? My podiatrist isn't open on the weekends and I really don't want to go back to the hospital..

Re: foot pain with soft cast

Pauline on 11/22/03 at 15:26 (138378)

I'm not a doctor, but I think you have three choices:
1. Call his emergency number. Most doctors have one and will respond themselves or have the doctor on call respond for them. since he is your treating doctor, and knows your case he is the best one to determine 'guess' what is going on.

2. Go to the E.R. or a Walk in Clinic and tell them your history on your condition.

3. Stay at home, put your foot up, and use any pain medication he might have given you to ease the pain until Monday. You could also try icing the area 10 min on and 10 min office and stay off the foot.

My personal choice would be # l. but if your doctor or his associate will not respond to you and you cannot stand the pain head for the closest E.R. or Walk in Clinic for treatment. On Monday make sure you ask him how he cares for patients with medical emergencies so you can avoid any E.R. trips in the future.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/23/03 at 08:13 (138444)

I agree with Pauline. All doctors that I know have some system of contacting them in the case of an urgency/emergency. Some have answering machines, some have computerizied systems, some have answering services, etc., but they should all have some form of contacting them during weekends and off hours. If they don't, find another doctor that cares about his/her patient 7 days a week.

Dr. Z on 11/23/03 at 12:34 (138465)

this can't wait until monday. There may be a presure ulcer from the cast due to excessive swelling. Go to ER

Rose on 11/25/03 at 15:24 (138664)

Yes., I got a pressure ulcer on the top of my foot after surgery....very painful!!!!! Don't wait....