Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

IS KNOT ON BACK OF HEEL A HEEL SPURR

Posted by BJ T on 11/23/03 at 21:50 (138519)

I HAVE LARGE KNOT ON THE VERY BACK(NOT ON THE BOTTOM) OF MY LEFT HEEL.. THE PAIN IS INTENSE THERE AT THE SITE AND ALSO ALONG THE LATERAL SIDE...I WILL TRY ANYTHING SHORT OF SURGERY TO ALLEVIATE THE PAIN... pAIN MEDS MAKE ME SICK...i JUST CANNOT TOLERATE THEM... mY DOCTORS SAY THAT i REALY SHOULD NOT ROUTINELY TAKE IBUPROPHEN ON A ROUTINE BASIS BECAUSE OF THE CONFLICT WITH THE ASPRIN THAT i TAKE FOR MY HEART.. iT SEEMS THAT ASPRIN AND IBUPROPHEN GO TO THE SAME RECEPTOR SITE, CONSEQUENTLY RENDERING THE ASPRING UNEFFECTIVE.....dOES THE CREAM WORK WITH OUT INTERFERRING WITH THE ASPRIN?/aNY SUGGESTIONS , PLEASE FORWARD THEM TO ME,
tHANKS
BJ

Re: IS KNOT ON BACK OF HEEL A HEEL SPURR

Pauline on 11/23/03 at 22:31 (138521)

Sorry to hear about your pain. Did your doctor give you a diagnosis or any idea what he thinks it could be?

I'm certain Dr. Wander or Dr. Z will have some ideas for you and some questions maybe to ask your doctor so you can get to the bottom of your problem.

After that if you don't feel like your getting anywhere you might want to get a second opinion from a different doctor.

Don't forget to keep posting especially if you need help along the way.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/24/03 at 14:54 (138559)

Your doctor is correct. Recent studies have confirmed that taking ibuprofen and aspirin can eliminate the beneficial effects that the aspirin is being used for on most patients. The lump on the back of the heel can be a bursa (fluid sac) behind the Achilles, infront of the Achilles or both. It can also be a bony prominence of the calcaneus known as 'Haglund's' deformity or it can be a retrocalcaneal spur (spur on the back of the heel), secondary to tightness or prior injury of the Achilles. It can also be a combination of all of the above, therefore I would highly recommned you ask your doctor for a definite diagnosis, to allow me to offer treatment options.

nancy s. on 11/24/03 at 22:59 (138584)

i didn't know this about ibuprofen and aspirin, dr. wander. thank you for the info.

nancy