Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

masai barefoot technology

Posted by English Judy on 11/24/03 at 07:24 (138532)

In my newspaper today there is a feature about a type of footwear developed in Switzerland and called MBT - Masai Barefoot Technology. It is supposed to improve posture, back problems, and presumably foot problems too. I don't know if the range is available in the US, but if it is, I wondered if anyone had any experience of this type of footwear. There is a website at http://www.mbt-uk.com with details of the whole concept and how it works.

Re: masai barefoot technology

Pauline on 11/24/03 at 13:49 (138550)

I haven't had any experience with this particular shoe, but I've learned over the years there is a lot of money to be made in 'feet'.

There isn't one product for feet that doesn't make a promise about something and unfortunately whether they help a person or not is usually a process of trial and error.

So often we read about a product that helped, but when others try it they don't experience the same results.

As with other shoes if your going to try them make sure they have a good return policy. If the shoes don't work out at least you will get your money back.

Having a case of P.F. had been known to rack in a lot of bills from trial and error products. We try just about everything just to get out of pain.

I hope someone that has tried this shoe will respond. I too would like to hear their experience with it.

nancy s. on 11/24/03 at 23:04 (138585)

this shoe looks very interesting to me, though. the difference in the skeletons' gaits is quite pronounced. (one has a rather predatory approach; i'm hoping to avoid that.)

as pauline asked, has anyone tried this shoe? i too would be very interested to hear of firsthand firstfoot experience.

nancy

Dorothy on 11/25/03 at 02:18 (138596)

English Judy ~
Well, I very much enjoyed all of the films, testamonials, illustrations and articles about MBT. They make it sound very intriguing. The only US dealer and teacher is in Idaho - pretty limited availability, given the fact that one must 'go to school' to use this 'anti-shoe.' We here will have to rely on you, English Judy and Julie (English Julie) to scout out this product for us. I get very curious and interested in all of these 'new/best' things. Who knows - maybe it is the answer. As it is, most of us here will never know, unless we live in Idaho. Thank you very much for the new information. I look forward to further information on this - and I hope it comes before my body (which moves like all of the 'WRONG!' illustrations on the website) falls completely apart.

English Judy on 11/25/03 at 03:14 (138597)

I have since discovered that my Pilates teacher has been wearing a pair of MBTs for a year and pronounces them 'very comfortable'. But then again, she is very fit and has no back or foot problems! They are very expensive, probably beyond my budget. If my teacher wears them to class this Thursday I will have a close look at them. Thanks for your responses - it certainly doesn't look like they've taken America by storm, but perhaps Idaho knows better!

Julie on 11/25/03 at 06:44 (138604)

Hi Judy

I've been waiting for Richard CPed to respond to this, but as we know, he is rather occupied right now! My feeling is that they probably wouldn't be advisable for people with PF or achilles tendonitis (even though the website claims they can be used to treat foot problems) because of the negative heel, which could overstretch those structures.

But that's just a guess. let's wait and see what Richard has to say.

Richard?