Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

100% recovery

Posted by rsk on 11/24/03 at 23:10 (138587)

Just curious... has anybody ever recovered fully from PF and never had a reoccurence. I ma thinking of surgery for my PF hoping that i will be cured completely. Am i hoping for too much??

cheers

RSK

Re: 100% recovery

nancy s. on 11/24/03 at 23:25 (138590)

dear rsk, have you been reading the surgery board here and the heel pain book? i know i've seen several posts from you recently. granted, one probably encounters more worst-case scenarios here than in the general population, but the vast, vast majority of people both in the general population and on this website would emphasize this: surgery is a last resort. last last last! recovery is difficult, and other (such as nerve) damage can too easily occur. you could end up with a lifetime of pain instead of 1, 2, or 5 years of pain.

there certainly are people on the boards who have recovered from pf (probably are careful to treat their feet right but aren't limited in any significant way by their former condition). i hope you will hear from them. i was scheduled for surgery, backed out, and spent close to three years getting to 75% improvement via conservative means, which gave me my life back (and taught me a few huge lessons in the process). i am 100% grateful that i didn't take a chance on the surgery route.

nancy

Julie on 11/25/03 at 07:14 (138609)

'Never' is a big word, and a long long time. Nobody knows the answer to that one, I'm afraid. But as far as surgery is concerned, I agree with all Nancy has said. It really is a last resort, and more and more podiatrists, judging by what we have been reading here over the past few years, are becoming more and more reluctant to do surgery.

When all conservative treatments have failed, ESWT is surely the thing to try before even thinking 'surgery'. Yes, if you had surgery you might be 'cured completely', but surgery often results in complications (read up on it if you haven't). Even if it doesn't, what surgery does is deprive the foot of its main support structure, so even if there is relief in the short term, there may be knock-on effects in the long term.

Be very careful. Do your homework. Have you got a good podiatrist who is dealing with the causes of your problem?

Shell D. on 11/25/03 at 09:01 (138618)

I had surgery for PF 2 years ago and it was NOT successful. I've also had ESWT twice since then and I'm still not pain free. I think it is something I will struggle with forever to some degree. Good luck to you in whatever you decide, but I'd recommend checking into ESWT before surgery.

john h on 11/25/03 at 09:37 (138624)

Our largest hospital in Arkansas is the University of Arkansas Hospital for Medical Sciences. The head of the Orthopedic Department in foot surgery will not perform a PF release.

CatherineL on 11/25/03 at 13:35 (138640)

I check back here every so often. Had pf pretty major for over 2 years. Tried almost everything except ESWT and surgery, hobbled around like an old person for so long, in pain all the time... I have been recovered for now for 1 1/2 years.

My secret... I had been dx with fibro early last year and once that was under control last summer, and then had my last rounds of laser sessions and last killer cortisone shot (which put me on crutches for a few days), then I was off on holiday for 2 weeks and then off on leave for other reasons for a few weeks, and the combo of all those things...

RECOVERED SINCE JULY 2002!!! I still wear birks and orthotics. I take fibro meds. I am careful. My feet do still get tired and sore after hours on them, but nothing compared to the years of excruciating undescribable pain.

For those with longterm chronic conditions, I hope for them that everyone will find the cause of thier pain... the underlying problem... surgery will not fix that underlying problem.

Hope this helps.

Catherine

Richard, C.Ped on 11/25/03 at 14:58 (138654)

Our guys will not do it here either John.

Ellen J on 11/25/03 at 16:13 (138681)

Hi Don't know much about the results of surgery firsthand, but I just happened to be at a ski shop today, trying to have my boots altered. The guy who does the alterations was telling me how many botched surgeries he's seen on feet that have plantar fasciitis and other problems. Now, I was wary enough to take what he said with a grain of salt--after all, he is not a podiatrist. But, for what it's worth, I thought I would post what he said anyway.
Ellen J.

rsk on 11/26/03 at 08:59 (138755)

Hi Group

thanks for your opinions. i can see that not very many ppl are for surgery and i know where all of you all coming from. somehow i always preferred surgery to PT coz I think I am lazy to go through the months of PT. But in this case i guess I am gonna follow your suggestions and go for ESWT again and see if it helps. the nite splint i bought frm this site helps me abt 25% which I think is good. My pain has reduced after mild stretching, heating and nite splint.i will get my custom insole tomorrow and hope that helps me a little more.

thanks

cheers
rsk

Major Lugo on 11/26/03 at 12:33 (138779)

I'm in the army & on my feet a good deal of the time. PF was really painful & was offered surgery. (free) but i refused...couldn't risk it. I went with SDO's instead and had to refit 3 times. After 4 months my foot/arch pain is almost non-existent. I believe this option should be included for those of us with long term pain.

john k on 11/26/03 at 15:38 (138801)

The best foot orthopedist in Tampa won't do it either. This has got to tell you something.