Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stretching helped me

Posted by vickis on 11/25/03 at 01:13 (138593)

I have not had any heel pain and stiffness since I started stretching. I don't remember the website, but I saw these stretches recommended. With foot flat on the floor, lift the little toes up while trying to leave the big toe on floor. The other one was to leave the foot flat on the floor and raise the big toe up area up while leaving the outside of the foot foot on the floor. I had off and on very bad stiffness and pain in both heel areas for about 8 years.

Re: stretching helped me

Julie on 11/25/03 at 07:09 (138608)

This exercise is a good strengthener. Thanks for mentioning it, and I'm glad it has helped you, Vicki.

If anyone wants to try it, the idea is to lift the big toe leaving the other four toes on the floor, and then lift the other four toes leaving the big toe on the floor. Alternate the two movements up to ten times on each foot. It's just the toes that move: the rest of the foot stays on the floor.

It's harder than it sounds, but it comes with practice. (It always gets a laugh in my classes.)

Ellen J on 11/25/03 at 16:10 (138677)

Those exercises sound good, and remind me of some of the Foot Trainer exercises. The use of a foot trainer seems to create something similar while adding extra resistance.
Ellen

Michael D on 11/25/03 at 16:46 (138691)

I found that stretching was ultimately what cleared up my condition but first I endured about 6 months of symptoms. The first help came from a podiatrist who gave me a very painful cortisone shot. This temporarily cleared up the inflamation enough for the healing to begin. Although the original symptoms subsided, the tendons and achilles heel felt extremely stiff and the pain would periodically appear. I periodically used ibuprofin and tried stretching excercises from this web site but it didn't seem to do much good. About 2 months after the shot, I stepped off a platform and felt and heard a loud 'pop' in my foot. This was quite painful and I was quite distressed. However the pain gradually subsided in a day or so and the tendons across the sole felt much looser. Improvement from this point was slow, until I discovered Yoga (on VHS tape). The tape takes you through a series of poses several of which are quite good at stretching the calf muscle. I would recommend a beginning Yoga tape or lessons and pay particular attention to a relatively easy position called 'downward dog'. Check it out at this link: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/491_1.cfm --but don't try it without following a tape or instructor (you need to work up to it). Within a month of starting Yoga, my foot feels quite normal and I have begun hiking again. I still do about 20 minutes a day and find that Yoga helps overall fitness also. Hope this helps and Good luck.