Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swelling after surgery

Posted by Melissa on 11/25/03 at 15:06 (138659)

I just posted a response in the surgery category, but I thought I might get help from the tts area. I had TTS decompression on 11/12/03. I have been fighting the swelling ever since. Every time I get up and my foot is below my heart the swelling gets worse and worse. I had the foot up continuously for about a week and then most of the time after that. Any suggestions?

Re: swelling after surgery

bluestella on 11/25/03 at 17:15 (138695)

Hi i have had a battle with swelling as well and i had my surgery on may 22nd of this year. All i can say is ice helps me and staying off of it. I keep pillows on my bed at night when i sleep. And i also use pillows when im on my recliner although its not over heart level it helps. Have u tried the compression socks? I have had mine for a few months it helps some. Also give it time u just had ur surgery it takes awhile. I still can not walk.

lauriel on 11/26/03 at 12:21 (138778)

I had TTS surgery a year ago, I had some some swelling, but not like you are having and called the Dr, he said to keep it elevated. My first week I spent 24/7 keeping it elevated I would ask the Dr about it, but I would continue to keep it elevated as much as possible. You do not want to over do it and cause potential problems

Laurie

dave s. on 11/26/03 at 17:30 (138808)

melissa,just read your message. i had tts surgery on 10/8/03.my surgery went well however i had nerve constriction in 4 spots so my incision is about 6 inches long.my foot is still a little swollen and draining ever so little.it took me approx 4 weeks to put any pressure on my right foot.during this time take it easy and keepyour foot up as much as possible.i went nuts as i am a n avid runner.keep up your spirits.as soon as i was able to walk with the crutches with pressure get out and walk.i was told by my podiatrist this will speed up breaking up scar tissue.at 50 days post op i can actually run(slowly).keep that foot up and have a nice thanksgiving.

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 01:44 (138923)

Compression stockings. Unna boot compression dressing. Even an ace bandage is helpful if applied correctly.

Melissa on 11/29/03 at 10:12 (138950)

thanks for all your ideas. I am still in a hard cast until this next friday. As soon as I get it off I will go get some compression socks. I am ready for this cast to come off. I am a very active person and it has been like being in prison for the last 2 1/2 weeks. The unfortunate side is I am putting so much pressure on my right foot that it is now tingling. I will have to really rehab both feet by the time this is all done...