Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cheilectomy on November 26th

Posted by JohnV on 11/25/03 at 15:06 (138660)

If anyone is interested, I am having my second cheilectomy surgery on Nov. 26th. This time around, it will be on my left foot. My right foot was operated on last spring.

If you have questions about how the surgery went, forward them to (email removed). I will supply the details.

Re: FYI - the cheilectomy is for Hallux Rigidus.

JohnV on 11/25/03 at 15:09 (138661)

Re: FYI - the cheilectomy is for Hallux Rigidus.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/28/03 at 15:35 (138884)

A cheilectomy is a very simple procedure that involves removing excess bony from the joint that is blocking range of motion. The surgery is relatively straight forward with minimal complications. Some patients are not candidates for a simple cheilectomy, since the cheilectomy often does not address the original cause of the hallux rigidus. Sometimes the metatarsal is too long and causes jamming of the joint, and sometimes the metatarsal is elevated, also causing jamming of the joint and hallux limitus or hallux rigidus. If the cause of the problem isn't addressed, recurrence is a strong possibility.