Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone ever tried energy healing?

Posted by Maria S. on 11/25/03 at 16:07 (138676)

Hello. :) I saw a podiatrist today and he confirmed that I really do have PF. However, I disagreed with about 90% of his suggested treatments- and am going to go about this recovery on my own terms.

For the past year, I've been reading books about energy healing of various sorts, trying to make it work for my various aches and pains- with minor success. I can't seem to affect other people like the books say you can, but do have significant influence over my own body- at least on minor things.

I've read books on Reiki, Pranic and Kiatsu healing, as well as various other unnamed methods of hands on healing. I haven't had any major illnesses or injuries since beginning this course of study, until now with the PF.

For the first two weeks, I hesitated to use these methods on myself, worried that I might just be blocking the pain and causing more damage to my feet. Now I feel that most repairs have probably mostly been done- and if what I do IS really just pain blocking, then I won't be doing much harm.

And if what I'm doing REALLY is healing, then - shoot! Why not go ahead and fix it? :D

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried energy healing (of whatever type) before with an experienced practitioner- and what were the results? I'm curious if I went to an actual practioner- I might get better results than my do-it-yourself efforts.

Re: Has anyone ever tried energy healing?

BrianG on 11/25/03 at 16:44 (138690)

Hi Maria S,

I say go for it, along with some other tried and true healing methods. They would include rest, taping / orthotics, and ice. Since you haven't had PF too long, you have a very good chance of healing yourself.

Be good to your feet !! :*)

Julie on 11/26/03 at 02:47 (138749)

Maria, what are the 90% of recommended treatments that you are unhappy with?

Maria S. on 11/26/03 at 09:16 (138757)

He wanted me to get shoes with an elevated heel. I've been wearing the same brand and style of shoes for five years now, Minnetonka Moosehide Moccasins. If there was a problem with them, it would have showed up by now. They feel good, and there is no need to replace them. I explained how this problem was caused by a single traumatic incident, not longterm misuse or abuse- but he was completely uninterested. As I understand it, part of the PF problem is caused by tight calf muscles. Going to an elevated heel would cause the calf to tighten up more. A classic case trying to cure the symptom, not the cause- and might even make the cause worse.

He told me never to go barefoot. I refuse to do that. I've gone bare foot inside and outside the home as much as possible all my life it's just not something I'm willing to give up. If I walk slowly and softly, it's not going to cause that much more stress on the foot. It may hurt a bit more.... but I can live with that. I also believe that allowing the foot to go through it's full range of motion is important. Wearing shoes all the time would impede that.

He wanted me to take an anti-inflammatory. I refused. I don't want to take drugs for this. I believe that the mind is in charge of organizing the repairs to the injury based on the signals it receives. If I muck about with the signal processing as well as with the brain function itself, then I am impeding repairs, not facilitating them. No drugs for me.

I asked about using a wheelchair at this three day convention we will be going to in a couple of weeks. He said it shouldn't be necessary. Obviously, I didn't make it clear how much pain this causes!

He wanted me to wrap my foot with this arch support thingy. They wrapped it. I stood on it. Pain increased two fold. I protested. The doctor at that point kind of threw up his hands and said that he really couldn't help me then.

They also gave me heel pads for my shoes. I tried them for a couple of steps. It threw my foot into the wrong position and hurt more.

Not once did this doctor mention losing weight, even though I am teetering on the edge of obesity. He showed little to no interest in my ideas about the subject. Wasn't willing to talk to me at all. Just a lecture on 'do this, this and this' and come back and see him next week. Didn't even show me or mention the Xrays they took.

I did NOT schedule a follow up. Instead, I spent the rest of the afternoon at my place of work with my worst foot slipped out of my shoe and up in my chair and did the Kiatsu techniques on it. By the time I went home, I was walking normally. It didn't last- I had to reapply the technique a few hours later... but it was better than whats-his-name wanted for me to do.

He did show me one stretch I hadn't seen yet. A variation of the hands on the wall one. And he did write me a 30 day script for a temporary handicap thingy, under protest. 8-(PIPE) And he did confirm my self diagnosis- so that was a relief.

So, the trip wasn't a total loss.

Just something I don't feel like repeating.

Dorothy on 11/26/03 at 09:43 (138761)

Please - what are the Kiatsu techniques?
And, what are the stretches - including the 'one stretch I hadn't seen yet'?
Sharing information that helps you - or that might help others - is one of the best qualities of this website.

Re: Kiatsu

Maria S. on 11/26/03 at 10:43 (138770)

Well, I didn't want to try to explain it on my own. I read 'Ki in Daily Life' first and 'Kiatsu' later and it would be kind of difficult to condense all that into a coherent post.

Fortunately, a quick web search found a reasonably brief explanation of Kiatsu. Here's the address: http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/Aikido/kiatsu.html Don't worry about the references to Aikido. You don't have to know Aikido to do Kiatsu.

Be sure to click on the little links on unbendable arm and others. Those are really cool concepts and really do work.

The concept of 'ki' or 'chi' is a bit weird for us Westerners- but those 'Cool Ki tricks' are what convinced me that there really is energy field that is around and through us. Kind of like The Force in Star Wars! ;)

Oh, and the stretch the doctor recommended was to stand straight with feet together and lean over while keeping stiff as a board and rest your hands on top of a desk or table. It does stretch the calves, but seemed to be pulling too much on my feet. I'm not going to do it much- and very, very carefully when I do it at all.

Dorothy on 11/26/03 at 10:57 (138772)

Thank you, Maria S.!

Julie on 11/26/03 at 10:58 (138773)

If you do decide to do this stretch, please bend your knees as you go forward to avoid straining your lower back. 'Stiff as a board' isn't a good idea at all.

Re: bad stretch

Maria S. on 11/26/03 at 11:11 (138776)

It looked wrong to me, too. I wonder where he got this info? Who knows? Probably hasn't read anything new since he went to med school 20-30 years ago!

Dorothy on 11/26/03 at 11:34 (138777)

There are people here who use a shoe insole from Dr. Kuiper and once when I visited his website (you can access it from THIS website, as I recall), I noticed that there were some stretches shown for PF, etc. From my recollection, one of them was similar to what you are describing. In that one, you cross the legs at the ankles, then bend forward....I don't want to describe it incorrectly so I will stop here. If they are still on that website, you can view them. There are other people who recommend a stretch similar to the one you describe where you hold your legs/knees straight, bend at the waist at arms' length from a surface like a counter top. I learned that it is pretty stressful to the back.

Julie on 11/26/03 at 13:55 (138789)

It's possible he got it from a yoga class. Many teachers insist on the legs being kept straight when doing forward bends. But that always results in the hamstrings, which connect the knees and the pelvis, exerting a too-strong pull on the lower back. Not only is this risky for the back, it actually impedes the stretch. Once you disengage the hamstrings by releasing the knees, the back is protected - and it can stretch more effectively.