Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Happy Turkey Day to you all!

Posted by Kathy G on 11/25/03 at 17:46 (138701)

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and you get to enjoy family and friends as well as a big, unhealthy but delicious meal! I am a little early with this thought but I need to make my stuffing and do all those last minute things tomorrow so won't have time!

Due to my arthritis, I've had to make some major changes this year. I started to feel really discouraged earlier today when it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to bake today as I had planned because my pain level is just too high. Then I regrouped and realized that there are worse things and there's a reason whey there are bakeries and Alden Merrell cakes!

I'd love to hear from someone who's had that strange concoction, the name of which escapes me. It's a turkey stuffed with a chiken or some such thing. I think someone mentioned it last year. Has anyone tried it?

Re: Happy Turkey Day to you all!

Dorothy on 11/25/03 at 17:56 (138702)

No, never tried it. Never would. But I think it is called turducken? Does that sound right? Then if you have any vegetarian offspring as I do, you may have heard of tofurkey. It is, IMHO, an abomination and I like tofu. This, tofurkey - which, frankly, I think sounds like you are using 'bad language' so that is one reason it should not be on your menu! - is a lumpen mass of tofu and seasonings and is, in some demented person's imagination, supposed to look turkey-ish. In no way does this resemble any turkey. Plus, to eat it - well, it leaves you craving food. It has, however, made for yet another Thanksgiving story - the year that someone in the family brought home a tofurkey to add to the harvest table.
Go, and bring tofurkey no more, we said.

Tofurkey, turducken. No, thanks.

Kathy, I understand what you mean about fretting about whether you will be able to do all the things that you think are so important for holidays, that make them the traditions in your household - but I'm glad that you have already decided that adjustments and accomodations are ok. Have a lovely week and I hope you feel better. Sometime when you have time: what's an Alden Merril cake?

marie on 11/25/03 at 19:40 (138717)

Kathy,
Sorry to hear your aching. Hope you feel well soon. I do all my baking at a little place in town called 'My Daily Bread'. They even have a drive up window. I have found that I was the biggest contributer to my stress level when I began having issues with tts. I am simply a triple A personality and have always thought I had to have everything just right for holidays and such. My health made me realize all the time I spent preparing for the holidays could be spent with my family and friends. So it may sound dumb to be thankful for tts. But I am. TTS made me slow down...and it's not so bad now that the pain is under control most of the time.

This year I am thankful that my illness led me here! I have met so many truely wonderful and giving folks online. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

best wishes marie

R C on 11/25/03 at 20:04 (138721)

To get a 'turducken', try http://www.cajungrocer.com . I saw it featured on TV once. It's an intriguing notion, but I would be afraid that the turkey (the outermost layer) would be overcooked by the time the inside was cooked.

Something I do want to try making myself sometime (when my foot is better), is a rolled stuffed turkey. This is a whole turkey, cleverly deboned (even from the limbs) and flattened, then rolled around a stuffing, tied and roasted. It has the shape of a thick salami. To serve, you slice it like a slami, so each serving gets some white meat, some dark meat, and stuffing. But this cannot be done for Thanksgiving, in a family of traditionalists.

For the holiday itself, I recommend a brined roasted fresh whole bird. (Go to http://www.foodtv.com , and search under 'brined + turkey'). The result looks like any other roasted turkey, but the flesh is moist, tender, and infused with subtle flavors. I think the brining process affects the protein structure somehow, making the collagen more resistant to withering.It also permits the other brining ingredients (seasonings, salt and sugar) to penetrate the cell walls.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/25/03 at 21:46 (138734)

Kathy, I'm so glad that you are facing the changes in this Thanksgiving with a positive attitude. After all, being with family and friends, enjoying a wonderful meal, and giving thanks is what this is all about! That doesn't require that any one person bake or cook that particular year. Who knows? You may find that Thanksgiving goes more smoothly this way, and that you enjoy it more too and find it easier to feel thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 11/25/03 at 21:50 (138736)

Absolutely! Take care, everyone, and try not to do too much during the holidays. (I say this to myself as I have been cleaning since I got home from school due to company coming in tomorrow!)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Suzanne :)

Kathy on 11/26/03 at 20:15 (138825)

Have a great Thanksgiving. I'm so glad to be out of school for a few days. But not really resting my feet. My mother just came home from having knee replacement surgery, so I'm doing all her holiday cooking at her home this year. But we are going to be together for the family favorites & she will be much healthier in a few weeks. I'm hoping for lots of snow days this winter to give my feet a few breaks!

Suzanne D. on 11/26/03 at 20:18 (138826)

Oh, yes...those snow days can be real life-savers, can't they? :)

I am happy for your mother and family that you will be able to be there for her after surgery and to make sure Thanksgiving goes well. Sit down when you can, and have a great time with your family!

Suzanne :)