Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rest for post tib tendonitis DR Z OR WANDER??

Posted by seth vorhees on 11/25/03 at 19:04 (138710)

My podiatrist put me in a soft boot cast for 3 weeks to rest my post tib tendonitis because it was getting tough to walk on.It has been only 5 days in this cast and I hope it helps. The only time i take the boot cast off is when i shower or sleep. I also had a cortisone shot 5 days ago and the pain is not constant but it feels like an occasional throbbing. I use ICE 3X PER DAY FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO SWELLING OR DISCOLORATION. Is there any disadvantages of complete rest as i have tried to avoid weight bearing? Should i be moving my foot around to strecth it or will this impede the healing process? Would ultrasound be a good idea or should I just rest it? FINALLY I HAVE RESARCHED THAT POST TIB TENDONITIS CAUSES ARCH FLATTENING AND I DO NOT HAVE THAT. CAN THIS STILL BE TREATED AS POST TIB? THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME. GO PHILLY EAGLES

Re: rest for post tib tendonitis DR Z OR WANDER??

Dr. Z on 11/25/03 at 19:34 (138716)

What did the MRI show. If there is tendonitis and no tear or degenerative changes I would walk the brace or boot and go to physical therapy for electric stimulation, ultrasound, and or ionophoresis. Use heat not ice. Heat will stimulate blood flow to the area for better healing. Good luck

seth vorhees on 11/26/03 at 07:14 (138751)

i did not have an MRI , because my podiatrist says if he suspected a tear or rupture i would not have the clinical symptoms present in the physical exam. ALSO WOULD'NT HEAT CAUSE MORE INFLAMMATION TO THE AREA? THIS INJURY IS 2 1/2 MONTHS OLD THANKS!!

Dr. Z on 11/26/03 at 15:56 (138804)

The heat increased the circulation and can help to drive out the swelling . It also increase blood flow which helps to heal your tendon. Get the mri if no improvement

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/27/03 at 20:02 (138851)

I agree with Dr. Z that you should have an MRI. ONE of the symptoms of posterior tibial tendonitis is flattening of the arch, but it isn't always present. There will usually be discomfort or weakness when you are asked to raise up on the toes of the symptomatic foot.

I respectfully disagree with the use of heat. It is simple, Dr. Z advocates the use of heat and I'm opposed to the use of heat. Do what YOUR doctor recommends and what you find helps you the most.

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 01:33 (138919)

Which would you rather visit the North Pole or Miami, Florida if you foot was in pain . They even serve food and drink with the Dr. Z post-operative method. Dr. Wander make sure you wear your gloves this winter cause you aren't going to have any heat to keep your fingers from freezing to death

seth vorhees on 11/29/03 at 06:26 (138927)

I would visit the place that would take away my pain. Also I would rather see Santa Claus at the North Pole than visit Miami and be around all those Miami Dolphin Fans.Dr Z.I see you live in Jersey, so you must be either a Jets/Giants fan???

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/29/03 at 10:41 (138951)

What was that supposed to mean? That analogy made as much sense as screen doors on a submarine. Dr. Z, maybe you've had a little too much eggnog.

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 13:32 (138972)

Eagles. This years super bowl champs !!!!!. Any bets

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 13:36 (138974)

It means heat rules . Seriously I cracked my ribs and I am in pain neither ice or heat is helping.

Julie on 11/29/03 at 14:26 (138975)

They won't, Dr Z. There's only one thing that will help, and that is - don't breathe.

I am serious - almost. Breathe minimally, and try not to use your intercostals, only your diaphragm.

:)

Pauline on 11/29/03 at 14:40 (138977)

Dr. Z,
Make sure your taped well and take your pain meds. Remember it doesn't last as long as a case of P.F.

Pauline on 11/29/03 at 14:58 (138979)

Dr. Z,
I've also heard you have to watch out for Pneumonia with broken ribs. Make sure you check with the doctor about this. They probably put you on a program already to prevent it, but if not please check into it. You surely don't need pneumonia to complicate matters.

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 15:03 (138980)

Thanks for the advice. How long does this pain last??

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 15:05 (138981)

The pain meds make me feel sick and I can't sleep. I am taping. I am take alot o fmotrin 800 mgs one bid that seems to help

Dr. Z on 11/29/03 at 15:06 (138982)

I have heard about this also. I was told not to tape at nite when I sleep
Thanks

Julie on 11/29/03 at 16:11 (138985)

It depends how bad the crack is. When I cracked a rib in a fall years ago, it took about six weeks for the pain to go away completely. It was very painful for the first two weeks, then gradually got better. I was serious about the breathing: forget about breathing deeply for now, because every breath will hurt if your intercostal muscles are involved. Try to use only your diaphragm. If you're normally an 'upper chest breather', this may be difficult for you - ask me if you're not sure and I'll try to help.

Dorothy on 11/29/03 at 17:05 (138987)

Dr. Z ~ Do your very best to keep your immune system in top shape until you are healed. You want to avoid conditions that involve hard coughing - a very painful event. Be aware of sneezing, coughing and deep breathing (as Julie has already cautioned) to avoid pain as well as facilitate healing. This might be a very good time to learn and practice meditation techniques. I am sorry this happened and that you have this pain, which is among one of the worst pains because of its association with that most beloved of activities: breathing! Best wishes to you - and, it goes without saying, feel free to complain, moan and whine here whenever you need to. I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Dorothy on 11/29/03 at 17:26 (138993)

Very funny!