Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Jeresey Blue Shield

Posted by Dr. Z on 11/28/03 at 17:02 (138892)

Horizon Blue Shield is covering ESWT for chronic insertional plantar fasciitis so long as it is in an ASC setting. Maybe with the new medicare guildlines this will change to an office setting. Excellence Shockwave Therapy Group has now contracted with many ASC's in New Jersey so that heel pain sufferers with Horizon can have ESWT used instead of undergoing foot surgery.

Re: New Jeresey Blue Shield

Pauline on 11/28/03 at 21:08 (138911)

Does that mean if your mobile unit is parked outside the ASC its covered
or do you have to actually hall the machine into the center? Is outside close enough?

I noticed a mobile PET unit at one of our local hospitals, but have no idea how many other sites it visits. I guess many hospitals don't own their own machine. What is PET anyway?

Dr. Z on 11/28/03 at 21:26 (138918)

It has to be inside the ASC for Horizon New Jersey Blue Shield
I think a PET is used to screen for Cancer, but don't quote Dr. Z . I just asked my wife and that is what she told me

Jen L on 11/30/03 at 09:45 (139048)

Dr.Z, could you tell me what is an ASC setting? And when does the coverage start? Thank you.

Dr. Z on 11/30/03 at 12:54 (139051)

Ambulatory Surgical Center. Presently, Horizon will cover ESWT in an ASC setting. The New Medicare Empire rules state that ESWT is covered but not in an ASC. setting. So which is it?. I have no idea.!!!! I will be contacting Horizon NJ. I have no idea when Empire Medicare starts coverage but this ruling is dated Nov 11, 2003 . Another Interesting ruling is that only FDA approved equipment for a specific body part is covered. This leaves Sonocur out for pf.