Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

my progress

Posted by rsk on 11/29/03 at 02:06 (138925)

Hi group

here is my progress for the past 3 weeks.....

1) started doing mild calf stretches instead of strong stretches.
2) started using nite splint(nice n stretch)
3) started icing then stopped as it hurt a bit.
4) started heating. just soak my feet in warm water.
5) started using custom insole. still needs some adjustments.

the moment i stopped strong stretches i immidiately saw some improvements. the nite splint is bit uncomfortable but it does help. I see a 50% reduction in pain in the morning. icing actually hurt me a bit in the begining and hence started heating. but still even with heating right after the heating the heel hurts a bit but i ma gonna continue. just got my custom insole 3 days ago. still not comfortable with it . i think it needs a bit of tweaking. will do this week. with all of the above i see good improvement and I am confident that it will heal in a few months. after 2 months of this, if it still hurts then i will go for ESWT again.

and one more thing... it may sound absurd.. but i have started telling my self repeatedly that my heel pain will go away soon so that mind can also help me in my healing. I am a strong believer of mind power and hence i am gonna really concentrate all my mental power on this and see if it helps in any ways... will keep u all posted.

Re: my progress

Maria S. on 11/29/03 at 11:02 (138955)

Hey, that's not absurd! Part of what I do for my feet is taking several minutes per day and visualizing everything in my feet cooling off and calming down, thinking ahead to when they will be whole again. Extra incentive for my body to go ahead and make necessary repairs.

Letting go of a negative image can be hard. I try real hard not to cling to the self-defeating thought that the fact that I'm in pain proves to everyone that I'm right and that it really DOES HURT. If that makes sense. I don't want to prove to everyone that this really is serious by unconsciously making it worse.

Or, yet another way to say it:

I'm quite certain that my subconscious mind is quite capable of making this ailment worse, simply in order to prove to everyone who doubts that I'm right. It's my job to override that childish response with consciously rejecting any such notions.

I've read that the subconscious mind cannot communicate with words, so it has to use everything else in it's arsenal to get a message across- including pains, illnesses and dreams. Talking back to the unconsions mind is futile. It's not word oriented. You have to use feelings, images.

Anyway, I digress. Talking to yourself is not absurd... but you might get farther with thinking in emotions or images. If the conscious mind could dream- that would be an excellent way to get the message across. But we have to make do with what we have. :)

By the way, it's the subconscious mind that's in charge of repairs... that's why it's important to be on the same sheet of music. :)

Dorothy on 11/29/03 at 17:21 (138991)

I am greatly enjoying reading your thoughts in these areas. I share a fascination with and attempts at understanding/engaging the mind more fully in the healing and health process. It is a rich and largely untapped aspect of health and disease. Best wishes, Maria ~

marie on 11/29/03 at 17:33 (138995)

Pain can really do damage to your mind. So yes I agree that your mind does affect your pain level. Figuring out how to control that can and should be explored in every way.

Thanks for your post it all fascinates me.

smile on, marie