Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Radical thought. Think Light.

Posted by Maria S. on 11/29/03 at 08:31 (138935)

OK, this is going to sound even weirder than energy healing.... but hear me out! This worked.

There is an martial arts concept called having an unliftable body. I learned this in judo about 5 years ago and it works. When you stand normally, a person can put their arms around you and lift you up. If you think 'heavy', and 'down', and concentrate your whole being on how very heavy you are then is it impossible for that same person to lift you up when you are thinking that way.

Here's a better explanation of the concept: http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/CoolKi/Unlift.html

Anyway, the point is, I've been using this concept in judo for years. IT WORKS.

The other day, I decided that since weight on my feet is part of the problem..... I decided to think 'UP' and 'Light' instead, using the same concentration principles. I focussed on a point about 4 inches above my head and envisioned my whole body being drawn upwards toward that point. I took a few steps. It DIDN'T hurt!

This works! I walked around the house all morning barefoot, Thursday morning, preparing the Thanksgiving meal. As long as I concentrated on that point above my head, it didn't hurt- at least not enough to bother with. If I slipped and quit doing it- I'd get immediate twinges.

This is very much dependant on your mental state. At one point, one family member got VERY mad at the other and I started to get upset and unhappy too. My feet at that point got so painful that I had to sit down until I could compose myself again. But as soon as I pulled myself together- it was back to the nearly pain free state.

But using this technique, I walked all over a grocery store at a normal stride, without leaning on the cart at all.

Oh, and please remember that I don't use arch supports or taping or drugs. So this was entirely a mental thing.

I just wish I knew how it worked!!! Please let me know what you think. :) I kind of hesitated to put this up, since the majority of you will think I'm crazy.... but this site has been so helpful to me, that I feel an obligation to inform you of a technique that helps.

Good luck, if you try it! :)

Re: Radical thought. Think Light.

rsk on 11/29/03 at 09:21 (138948)

Maria

Its not all that weird. you can achieve anything with the power of mind only if you know how to do it. Its not easy to do things with concentration. that is why lotta ppl cant do it. But if one can focus his/her concentration strongly on something then he/she can achieve that. thats my 2 cents

cheers

rsk

Ellen J on 11/29/03 at 10:56 (138952)

Sounds interesting! When I used to run, I used that same technique, thinking 'light' and it felt like an invisible string was suspending me over the road and it made me feel much lighter while running. Probably also helped running posture. I know it does sound wierd, but it's true, you can feel a difference in your body. Now, I have not tried that since having P.F. and next time my feet hurt (when a setback occurs), I'll have to try that out. It's a difficult concept to explain to someone who has not tried it. I came across it by chance and dreamed up the idea while running. After mentioning it to my mother, who is openminded about such things, I found out it's used in a variety of situations. For example, I think it's used to improve posture among other reasons.
Ellen J.

R C on 11/29/03 at 10:57 (138953)

I agree -- if it works, do it.

Science is only beginning to uncover some of the deeper mind/body connections. Just last week I saw a documentary about a Boston scientist who was studying the effects of mediation by Tibetan monks. He found that they could reduce their metabolism (heart rate, oxygen consumption, etc.) by 64%. Using visualisation techniques, these monks could sit in 40 degree rooms draped in wet sheets -- and yet warm their bodies so agressively that the sheets would pour off steam.

chris b on 11/29/03 at 10:59 (138954)

There's a body technique that's been around for a century, much favoured by actors and musicians, called the Alexander technique. Its all about balance and the way we use weight in the body, and part of it involves concentrating on 'forward and up'. Sounds like a similar idea. My partner claims Alexander technique helped cure her of PF years ago. Unfortunately it hasn't worked the same miracle for me, but its definitely worth checking out.

Maria S. on 11/29/03 at 11:04 (138956)

I wish I could do that! :D My hands and feet get SO cold in the winter. Someday I'll have to read up on that. :)

Maria S. on 11/29/03 at 11:07 (138957)

Oh, cool! :) I've only ever used the opposite before in judo, when it's important to increase your stability by increasing your apparent weight. I kind of worry that I'll be a bit wobbly walking around like this... but it's better than the painful hobble! I hadn't even thought about applying it to running. Interesting. :)

Maria S. on 11/29/03 at 11:10 (138958)

Wow! I thought it was only a martial arts concept! I guess martial artists are the only ones concerned with increasing and concentrating apparent mass, for stability's sake.

Why do the actors and musicians want this? Is it part of projecting their performance to the audience? You'd think it'd be of more use to dancers.

I'll try the forward/up part. Might be better than straight up! :D

Dorothy on 11/29/03 at 17:19 (138990)

It has been used with people who have Reynaud's syndrome where the hands and feet stay extremely cold; it's very interesting.

Dorothy on 11/29/03 at 17:25 (138992)

There are many books and videos on the Alexander technique and most mid-to- large size communities will have at least one trained practitioner. The actor William Hurt - 'The Big Chill', 'Accidental Tourist'..- is a serious proponent of the Alexander technique and participates in educating and video production on the subject. Many, many, many dancers do learn and practice it, as well as become teachers. It is quite common among dancers.

Re: Why AT appeals to actors and musicians

Julie on 11/30/03 at 03:31 (139031)

MF Alexander was a public speaker who began to lose his voice. He got off the lecture circuit, began to investigate why he was losing his voice, and discovered that the cause lay in the way he was using his body. He worked at changing his habitual use, and regained his voice. That was the beginning of the Alexander Technique. The Technique is applicable to everybody, but its origins have traditionally given it an appeal to actors and musicians.

Re: Why AT appeals to actors and musicians

Julie on 11/30/03 at 05:42 (139032)

Correction - FM, not MF Alexander. Bad proofreading.

Ann J on 11/30/03 at 08:01 (139036)

Maria, I have been reading some of your thoughts on energy healing and other alternative methods and I think it is way cool.. I have mentioned here that I have been getting accupunture and how helpful it has been. No one has really commented on accupunture so I don't really know what their thoughts are on it but I think a lot of people don't believe in it or are skeptical. I think it is cool that you are willing to try anything... have you ever tried accupunture? oh well... I just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed your thoughts. Have a good day. Ann

Re: accupuncture

Maria S. on 11/30/03 at 09:13 (139042)

It's funny that you ask! :D My husband had accupuncture for his carpel tunnel syndrome a few years ago (and healed really fast) and now he's pushing me to try it for this PF. I promised him I'd try it next week if I wasn't better by then. I don't think it'll be necessary, though. I'm lots better all ready!

I watched when it was done to him. The chiropracter used little electrodes to carry an electrical current between the needles. What freaked me out about the process was that after a while, his skin managed to pop the needles out, without him twitching a muscle!! That, to me, indicates that the body did NOT approve of the process. Or at least that it gets irritating after too long. I don't know if this happens with traditional, non-electrical accupuncture or not.

I think, really, that it's just a way of focusing your attention on the problem. While you are sitting there with needles sticking into your skin, you can't think of anything else but the problem at hand. You are focused in a way that is hard to achieve otherwise.

I don't think focus is a problem with me. I've had lots of practice over the past year whilte trying to make energy healing work. I think the techniques are similar to meditation- but I've never had a meditation class and couldn't really say.

It might be helpful to use the acupuncture time to visualize your feet as getting better. Picture healing energy being activated by the needles and flowing through your feet and fixing everything! It can't hurt, and you don't really have anything else to do while you are waiting. :)

Good luck with the accupuncture. :)

Ann J. on 11/30/03 at 09:36 (139047)

Maria, I had the electrical currents too! It is awesome!! What have you done to heal besides the healing energy? How long have you had PF? Glad to hear you are getting better!! :):)

Re: accupuncture & history

Maria S. on 11/30/03 at 10:44 (139049)

Did the needles start popping out of your skin, too? That was so weird to watch.

I've had PF for almost a month. I did not take pain killers- since I could see from my reading on this site that they don't do a lot of good anyway and I wanted my mind clear. I did ice some, during the first couple of weeks, and did the yoga foot stretches that I found here. Most of all I stayed off my feet, giving them time to heal. When I did have to walk, I took slow, short steps to reduce the strain on the bottom of the foot. I continued to go barefoot whenever posible, after having read someone's post about how the arch isn't BUILT for support, and that arch supports could be counter productive. I stayed with the same style of flat, unsupported mocassin that I've worn for the past 5 years, just got a new pair.

Probably the most important realization on my part was that fear increases pain. I found that I was dreading each step. It was like a dark cloud hanging over me. I sort of took a mental evaluation and eventually convinced myself that the pain wasn't scary, and that fear of the situation really wasn't helping at all.

After that, the pain is just a signal. I found that if I was hurting a lot, that if I'd just pause and listen to the pain, it would fade away. That takes concentration, though and was only useful for the more serious, high level pains.

All the time, I was trying various types of energy healing on myself. Since I'm only a beginner, with knowledge learned only from books- it's hard for me to decide just how effective it is- and how much is a product of wishful thinking.

When I was trying to explain Kiatsu (the healing form that I've found most effective against PF) I decided to reverse the 'unliftable body' technique. That's worked so well that I haven't done the Kiatsu for a couple of days now!

I can't explain why or how this should help.... but it sure does! This is the fourth day that I've been walking around like normal, doing the 'think light' thing.. and I'm not hurting a lot. I like it! :) Looks like I'm going to get over this much faster than I first thought. :)

John H on 11/30/03 at 15:37 (139056)

I had about 8 accupuncture treatments for PF. The Doctor who performed the procedure had all the credentials for accupuncture. It did not work. Having tried all the lotions, potients, creams, accupuncture in the final analysis none of them really provided any long term relief. Some may have provided some short term relief but that was probably all in my head. When and if a cure is ever found for PF i doubt it will be in the form of some rub on cream. I do not make light of these things as I have tried emu oil and about anything else mentioned on this board but thoughtful observation tells me I have just wasted my money. Some of the things out there that seem to have some science behind them are ESWT, Orthotics,night splints, casting, stretching, Yoga, shots,surgery,proper shoe wear,correct diagnosis and probably a few I have not mentioned. Most of us get sucked in on a lot of snake oil treatments. First and foremost insure you have an experienced Doctor and are comfortable with the diagnosis. Read all you can about PF and be prepared to ask your Doctor questions and explanations for his course of treatment.

Re: accupuncture & history

Ann J. on 11/30/03 at 17:50 (139067)

No the needles didn't start popping out.. It was actually a very pleasureable experience. It feels so good afterwords it is awesome... I just wanted to tell you, Maria, that you are very inspirational and I really look forward to hearing your treatment stories. Thanks again. :):)

Ann J. on 11/30/03 at 18:27 (139068)

John, I never tried any snake oils... I am fortunate that my regular doctor is also a acupunturist (Iguess that is what you call 'em) so my insurance is covering the treatments... It seems to be working quite well.. I also do yoga stretches and have changed my shoes. Anyway... thanks for your thoughts...it always good to get a wide perspective.