Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My opinion

Posted by Bob G. on 11/29/03 at 22:45 (139017)

If you suffer from heel pain, then you can appreciate the joy of one who has overcome heel pain. I have been pain free for a couple of years now, thanks to this website. The information and social support on heelspurs.com gained me freedom from heel pain. I stick around because I am grateful, loyal and want to help.

Think I'll take a walk...

Re: My opinion

Ron B on 11/29/03 at 22:57 (139018)

Bob G
what do you think was the one thing that help you the most??Thngs that didn't help??

Bob G. on 11/29/03 at 23:10 (139020)

Mostly, rest, rest, and more rest - not re-injuring it.

Using the nightsplint, learning how to sleep with it on.

Proper support, shoes, arch supports.

Then gently stretching, bringing it back slowly. Took year(s). Rest was the key to healing.

Bob G. on 11/29/03 at 23:21 (139022)

What didn't help? Magnets. Impatience. Working it too soon, testing it, etc.

Heat helps circulation, and healing, but makes it vulnerable. Heat before bed, okay, esp. with nightsplint. Heat before activity = vulnerable, injuries.

Watch your food intake. Fruits, veggies, ruffage good. Meat and dairy sparingly. Fresh air, stay active as best you can. Never give up.

Suzanne D. on 11/30/03 at 07:26 (139035)

Yours is a good opinion, Bob, and thanks for sharing it with us! :)

Thank you, also, for writing what you did about heat helping circulation and healing but making feet more vulnerable. You know, that makes sense! I have been using heat more lately because it makes my feet feel so much better. And yet, overall, my feet have not been doing so well. I am thinking that perhaps I have made them more vulnerable by using heat, feeling better, then getting up and doing too much, too soon. I shall try using heat before bed and not before activity.

Thank you for taking that time to keep posting and sharing. Have a great day!

Suzanne :)

john h on 12/01/03 at 09:19 (139085)

Bob: I bagged 50 bags of leaves and pine needles this weekend so I hope this counts as activity.

john h on 12/01/03 at 09:20 (139086)

Ron: I think the one thing that has helped me the most is 'TIME'.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/01/03 at 11:21 (139093)

That sounds worse than my banana trees! I chopped down and bagged four more, and I'm almost done now.

It's great to be healed to the point that I can do things like this, without suffering any consequences. :)

Carole C

Ron B on 12/01/03 at 13:48 (139096)

Bob G
Everyone says the # 1 thing is 'REST' unfortunately thats the hardest thing for me to give it. I work on my feet all night and I really can't afford to take time off.Glad to hear that your doing well! just don't over do it.
John
Your right time seems to heal. but I don't have that much time LOL !

Suzanne D.
Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling that great, Hang in there. don't you get about a two week break at Christmas????? the last two weeks have been better for me!

Bob G. on 12/01/03 at 15:15 (139100)

Right, the most important ingredient is time. Unfortunately, for most, time is in short supply. Therefore it's usually two steps forward and one or two back.

Ron, I hope you can figure out a way to lessen the impact of time on feet. Best wishes! Bob G.

Julie on 12/02/03 at 02:30 (139127)

Ron, reading your posts over the last couple of days, I have been wondering. I don't know if anyone has yet said this to you, but the fact is that your chances of healing are greatly reduced if your job involves your standing for long hours at a time. That has, in fact, probably caused your PF. I know this sounds awful, and it is, but there really isn't any other way to say it. Can you not talk to your supervisors and get switched to other duties that don't involve standing? I don't mean just the few days post-ESWT, but long term (or at least medium term).

If that is really impossible (but try before you say it is) then give serious thought to how you can minimise the harmful effects of standing.

Make sure whatever shoes you wear give your feet plenty of support, and plenty of cushioning. Do you have orthotics? Always wear them.

Have you tried taping your feet? It will help, because it will give your arches support and take the stress off the fascia.

And buy a large piece of something that has some give to it - rubber, perhaps - so that you're not standing on a concrete or other unyielding surface. It will make a difference.

And please do take some time off after your bilateral ESWT treatment. Even if you can't afford it.

:)

Best of luck.

Ellen J. on 12/02/03 at 09:17 (139140)

Hi Bob,
Thanks for writing to all of us! I'm so glad you are pain free! I am wondering if you can now do all the things you used to do (in the way of activities) or are you at all permanently limited to some degree? I too find that resting has been one of the keys to becoming pain free and I wonder if, over time, a person can actually jump, leap, skip, run and generally do all those fun normal things. It would be fun to chase my little nephew across the fields and fly a kite with him, and just plain RUN for the pure fun of it!
Ellen J.

Re: Julie

Ron B on 12/02/03 at 12:16 (139155)

Julie
Thanks for your post. I appreciate the time you and everyone gives on this site to try and help and encourage each other.
I work in a big wholesale bakery. EVERYONE works on their feet! I work in a group of four. three of us stand in one place the 4th guy does all the walking. I have traded places with him and I do feel better when I walk instead of just standing. I could probably fight my company and try and prove its job related. then they would have to put me on lite duty. but I'm not ready to do that yet.
I don't think my pain is as severe as alot of the people that post here. I just finished cleanning the house with no pain. I went to the mall last night and walked around for an hour with no pain! Alot of people here say they can't do that!
I do alot of the things you mentioned. I have doctor made orthoics, I wear Brooks 'the Beast' shoes that are recommend by my pod. I stand on a rubber mat at work,lite streaching. I haven't tried taping and I will ask my pod when I go in for the ESWT today.
Believe me when my feet say they can't take the pain anymore I will take time off work!!! But I do think I'm slowly on the mend! the last two weeks have been pretty good.
Tonight I will post (on the ESWT board) how my ESWT treatment went today. thanks to ALL for the support!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Julie

Julie on 12/02/03 at 16:23 (139177)

Ron - it sounds as though you're doing all you can to make the best of your situation. You were smart to change places with the guy who does the walking - standing is by far the worst thing, much worse than walking. If you want to try taping, and I think it would probably help, there is plenty of information in part 2 of the heel pain book.

I hope your ESWT went well today.

Bob G. on 12/02/03 at 18:33 (139192)

Yes, Ellen, I get to do all the things I used to do. Run, dance, play tennis. In other words, full recovery without restrictions is possible. Yes, there IS hope.