Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Six months post-op. Plateau.

Posted by Carol D on 12/01/03 at 07:57 (139083)

I had TTS surgery in early June. I had TT release and removal of a Schwanoma tumor. My results seem good, altho I feel I have hit a plateau. I have had no recurrance of nerve type pains, but my foot feels achy and tired after use. Perhaps I have pushed it too much. I have returned to a low intensity aerobics class (3 times per week)and some recreational walking. My symptoms increase with too much activity and I have not made much progress in the past two months. I am currently cutting back on my activity level. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on this topic? I get some swelling. Are icing and antiinflamatories appropriate? Thanks for any comments.

Re: Six months post-op. Plateau.

Dr. Z on 12/01/03 at 15:06 (139099)

Stop with the aerobics for at least one year. Are you wearing orthosis?

lauriel on 12/01/03 at 17:37 (139108)

I am on year post op and I did hit a plateau too. I was going to say WOW aerobics, but as Dr Z said it sounds like you shouldnt be doing that. I henelty didnt feel 100% untila about 2 months ago

Laurie

Melissa on 12/01/03 at 23:08 (139124)

..No aerobics for a year???

Re: Request for elaboration.

Carol D on 12/02/03 at 08:46 (139139)

Dr. Z.,

Thanks for your response. I have not been wearing orthotics, but will give them a try. Is the purpose to provide more support? What do you consider the dangers of aerobics? Is it too punishing to healing tissue?

Thanks for any additional information. Carol

Re: Request for elaboration.

Dr. Z on 12/02/03 at 11:24 (139151)

There is just too much impact on your foot and ankle at this time. Go swimming, ride a bike, but avoid any type of impact work outs

Terry D. on 12/03/03 at 09:04 (139252)

Hi Carol,
I had successful tts in May from the stand point of no pain. But I still have lots of numbness in the foot and tightness where the incision is. I have returned to easy running as intuitively I could feel this was what my body and foot wanted. I have been doing fine until last week when I may have run a little too much ...it felt so good but now I'm a little more stiff so I have cut back. Listen to your body and I guess when in doubt go slowly.... the recovery is so slow...but we aren't in pain which is huge!
Terry
ps did you have numbness before your surgery and do you have any now

lauriel on 12/03/03 at 16:46 (139277)

As I was just saying I was doing really good too and last week I either stretched the area too much or being on my feet all day on T day has snet my ankle into tinglin sensations, it hurts and I got back my shocking pain periodicly. SO please do listen to your body, sometimes the smalles thing can make huge setbacks

Laurie

Re: Hi Terry D and Lauriel

Carol D on 12/04/03 at 09:36 (139332)

Thanks so much for your comments. I am switching to an aquatic workout for awhile. Terry, I did not have numbness as a symptom before surgery. After surgery, I had no sensation on the bottom of my middle toe and none on the ball of my foot directly beneath that toe. At this point, most of the sensation has returned to the toe, and there is an increase in sensation on the ball of my foot (though not a complete restoration). I have only minimal tightness at the site of the incision. I continue to massage it regularly as instructed in PT--using light finger pressure (and lotion) and moving across (rather than in the same direction) of the scar. Have you been using this strategy? Even though I know that recovery from this surgery is a slow process, I often feel so good that I resort to the activity level I was accustomed to prior to this whole challenging journey. This site has been enormously helpful. Thanks to all who contribute. Carol D

lauriel on 12/04/03 at 15:16 (139354)

Carol, how long has it been since your surgery? I too massaged the incision area like you on the advice of the PT. Did it for months, I had extreme tightness in the achilles area and did not get most the range back until a few months ago. water excercises are great. That is what I did this summer since I have a pool. And I also did a bike which is non-weight bearing. I didnt have any of the sensation people talk about in bottom of their foot - except right after sugery. It was the incision area that was sore.
Just listen toyour body. It was the type of strectching I did that I think caused the flare up. And previously I whave walked 2 miles, played golf, So you have listen to your body and when it tells you enough.

Laurie

RonB on 12/04/03 at 17:41 (139366)

I agree... Listen to you body!!!

POOR GRAMMER on 1/08/04 at 19:30 (141651)

WHAT DOES HENELTY MEAN? I NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A WORD ? ITS NOT IN ANY DICTIONARY. ALSO WHAT IS UNTILA SUPPOSE TO MEAN ? PERHAPS THESE WORDS ARE JUST TERRIBLE GRAMMAR OR SOME TYPE OF EBONICS WORD ? YOU SHOULD DO A SPELL CHECK ON YOUR COMPUTER SO AS TO NOT CONFUSE THE TYPICAL PERSON WHO ALSO CAN BECOME PUZZLED BY SUCH POOR REFERANCE TO WHO KNOWS WHAT? ( HENELTY)???? (UNTILA)????? MAYBE YOUR REFERING TO ATILLA THE HUN FROM HISTORY.?