Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fibromatosis

Posted by Bernadette M on 12/01/03 at 11:20 (139092)

I have a large growth on my arch which is called plantar fibromatosis (about 1-1/4' diameter) It was suggested by a surgeon that I not have it removed until the pain was too great as there is an incidence of others growing. I now have one growing on the same spot on the other foot. It is too small to see visually but I can feel it. Question: am I better off having it/them removed now or waiting until it is too painful also? Logic tells me that having a small lump removed is better than waiting until it is very large. Thank you for your adivce.

Re: Plantar Fibromatosis

Pauline on 12/01/03 at 16:40 (139103)

Bernadette,
I'm certain a doctor will respond to your post. I am not one, but my suggestion is that you get a second opinion.

The problem with foot surgery or any surgery for that matter is that the body heals by forming scar tissue. In the foot this can be a real problem. Your removing a lump of tissue and the result could be regrowth and the formation of scar tissue which in itself could cause more pain.

My personal opinion is that is the main reason your doctor doesn't want to perform the surgery until you can no longer stand the pain. At that time the benefits of surgery outweigh the risk of the surgery.

I believe from my reading there is a 25% recurrence rate so he is probably taking that in to consideration too.

A second opinion I think is in order before you consider any surgery so by getting one it may help you to understand what your up against with Plantar Fibromatosis.

Dr. Z on 12/01/03 at 18:28 (139111)

Injection therapy is the best way to go before surgery. The re-occurence rate for excision of plantar fibromatosis is high. The type of injections is described in our search engine

Bernadette M on 12/02/03 at 09:46 (139143)

Dr. Z - Sorry for my ignorance, but what/where is your search engine. I am interested in finding more about injections.
Bernadette

Julie on 12/02/03 at 10:35 (139149)

Bernadette, at the bottom of each page, as well as on the home page, there is a list of all the site's facilities, including 'search'. Click on 'search' and then select the fields you wish to search in, and then enter Plantar Fibromatosis.

Dr. Z on 12/02/03 at 11:24 (139152)

Thanks . Julie