Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rel. bet taping & compression?

Posted by LARA on 12/02/03 at 07:58 (139136)

I decided to start this thread over again because the original post is about to go to page two.

Philasked:
I was wondering if incoreecetly taping ones foot can cause TTS? Is their any potential problem rhat can develop when constrcting or taping near the inner ankle????
I responded:
Relationship between Taping and Compression
Posted by LARA on 12/02/03 at 07:56
I wish I knew the answer. I'm answering anyway cuz sometimes that helps get a thread going.

Re: Rel. bet taping & compression?

Rick R on 12/02/03 at 09:54 (139147)

Lara, Phil,

I have been taping for over a decade without developing TTS which of course means little, just one data point. I have discovered a potential problem with taping I thought might be helpful to pass on. I am able to tape around my foot very tightly close to my heel with no ill effects, but must avoid compressing the metatarsals, or taping too far forward of the heel. Also, I tape around my ankle to anchor the tape to help me keep it where I want it. This wrap around the ankle must be fairly loose, to avoid causing a problem with the achilles tendon.

Rick

Re: Rel. bet taping & compression? DRZ OR WANDER

phill mann on 12/03/03 at 07:06 (139244)

thank you lara for continuing the thread. I was wondering if anyone has develpoed this beacause i think i might have caused my problem from taping incorrectly around the ankle near the pos tib nerve and tendons. I hop Dr z or wander can comment on this.

Re: Rel. bet taping & compression?

Aly on 12/03/03 at 14:22 (139270)

Interesting question. I tried taping on and off for the last month and found it did me more harm than good. In the meantime I've developed inner ankle pain, just below and behind the inner ankle bone, running down into the heel. Is this a TTS symptom?? I confess, I only follow the PF posts here and don't know much about TTS. I'll have to investigate.

Hope Dr Z or Dr Wander addresses your question...

Aly

Re: Rel. bet taping & compression? DRZ OR WANDER

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/04/03 at 08:17 (139328)

Phill, although bascially anything is a possibility, I doubt that the taping caused TTS. The taping may have aggravated a mild TTS that already existed. Other than some significant trauma, TTS doesn't develop overnight and would not suddently develop following a taping. As previously stated, the taping may have aggravated a mild pre-existing TTS.