Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hee Hee...Ludicrous Laws...

Posted by Aly on 12/02/03 at 16:41 (139181)

You have to wonder what went on that required the creation of some of these laws!...

Ludicrous Laws
Information provided by Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions and dumblaws.com

LAW: It is illegal to transport a skunk across state lines.
CITATION: 70-4-208. Unlawful importation of skunks - Penalty.

LAW: It is illegal to taunt someone for refusing to participate in a duel.
CITATION: 61-2-24. Taunting for nonparticipation in duel; penalty.

LAW: There is a one-dollar fine for every instance of public drunkenness and/or swearing.
CITATION: 61-8-15. Profane swearing and drunkenness; penalty.

LAW: It is illegal to require someone to purchase a horror comic book.
CITATION: Cal Bus & Prof Code 16603 Requiring purchase of horror comic book as condition to sale or consignment of magazine or other publication.

LAW: It is required by law that you make a loud noise when passing a car on the left.
CITATION: 31-15-4 Overtaking on left.

LAW: It is illegal for a bingo game to last longer than five hours, unless the bingo is being played at a fair.
CITATION: 14-309.8. Limit on sessions.

LAW: A man may not seduce a woman by lying, and claiming he will marry her.
CITATION: 97-29-55 Seduction of female over age of eighteen by promised or pretended marriage.

LAW: One must not collect seaweed at night.
Collecting Seaweed
Section 207:48

LAW: It is illegal to wear a bulletproof vest while committing a murder.
CITATION: 2C:39-13 Unlawful use of body vests.

LAW: Unless a customer orders it specifically, it's against the law to serve margarine instead of butter at a restaurant.
CITATION: 97.18(4)

Re: Hee Hee...Ludicrous Laws...

marie on 12/02/03 at 19:02 (139196)

Now I agree with the last one.:)

Kathy G on 12/03/03 at 08:04 (139248)

Gosh, there go my nocturnal seaweed gathering jaunts! And it was so exciting!

Great list!

Ellen J. on 12/03/03 at 17:50 (139285)

Loved reading those!
I can tell you the reason for the first one, though I have no clue as to why the other laws exist. Regarding the skunk, (if laws are the same elsewhere as in Vermont), a skunk is considered a high-incidence rabies carrier and therefore a person cannot relocate them from their original home area for fear of spreading rabies. Not only can we not relocate them, but it's even more unlawful to transport them over state lines, according to Fish and Wildlife Dept.. A really dumb law in my opinion, but there are alot of dumb laws out there. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your list. Thanks for the laughs!
Ellen J.

nancy s. on 12/04/03 at 02:05 (139314)

right smack in the middle of a night of insomnia here. i decided to visit the board just to read because, although wide awake, i don't feel capable of forming an intelligent, helpful post.

but aly, your posting of these ludicrous laws helped ME! thank you.

here's my favorite: 'LAW: It is illegal to require someone to purchase a horror comic book.' this is really horrifying. i've been requiring this of every person entering my shop for the past two years. it seemed that many of them were looking at me as if i'm crazy, but now it's clear that they have been looking at me as if i'm an outlaw.

that word 'outlaw' just now struck me. is it related somehow to 'in-law'? is it supposed to be the opposite of 'in-law'? because i have one in-law who should be outlawed.

thanks again, aly.

Dorothy on 12/04/03 at 03:08 (139318)

I'm later than you are, as I write this. Are you, by any chance, referring to mothers-in-law?? Sisters-in-law??

nancy s. on 12/04/03 at 11:19 (139335)

it's a sister-in-law, dorothy -- the mother of my only two little nieces, whom i would love to see far more often than i can because their mother decided at some point that our family is not worth much of her time or energy.

i never knew my mother-in-law (she died the year before i met my husband), but i wish i had; by all accounts she was a wonderful person. i've been to her grave, though, and thanked her for my husband. i hope she heard me.

Dorothy on 12/04/03 at 13:11 (139343)

That's a lovely comment, nancy s., about your mother-in-law. I have thanked mine in person many times for the wonderful son she and his dad had. Can't say it makes her any easier, but then I'm probably not her dream of a d-in-law either, although she has graciously not yet said so!

nancy s. on 12/05/03 at 07:20 (139387)

dorothy, i'd say your mother-in-law has it pretty good if she isn't easy to be with but you continue to thank her for her wonderful son! sign of a 'big' person (you).