Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just had ESWT today

Posted by Ron B on 12/02/03 at 19:59 (139204)

Several people wanted me to post how my ESWT went, so here it go's.
I have had PF for 10 months and my pod says thats too long! I told him about those here that have had it for years. He believes that in some of those cases there might be more going on than just PF !!
The machine that was used was the Dornier epos. Dr Z says that the one with the highest sucess rate (94%). My pod gave me a shot just behind the ankle on both sides of the foot (both feet) to numb me up. The tech measured my PF. normal is 3 to 4. my right ft. was 6.4 and my left ft 7.4. not good!! this was from imflamation and scar tissue. There are seven levels to the treatment which takes 15 minutes.each level hits alittle harder. on the right foot at level five they had to stop and numb me some more the pain was bad.I got through level seven but did feel it!! in the left foot things went better I did feel pain at level seven but I was able to get through it. You women that have gone through child-bearing could probably breeze through this. LOL I'm a whimp. I was able to watch the whole thing on the monitor. I was in the Doctors office 1hr. 15 min. I was able to walk to my car and drive myself home ok. My feet hurt a little more now than when I went in, but they took a beating.The tech said I could have a small set back but it shoul only last a few days. Only time will tell how sucessful this treatment was. the last person treated in his office was a 350lb women. she got immediate results and is still pain free.
I will post any results I see good or bad
Ron B

Re: Just had ESWT today

rsk on 12/02/03 at 23:57 (139235)

Hi

I really hope it works for you. I did ESWT abt 4 or 5 times I guess on my right foot but there was no improvement. But after reading many success stories on this board I am now thinking may be I did something that countered the effects of ESWT or the way ESWT was done on me was not right. Especially I didnt know that differetnt brands of machine had different results. I was also taking glucosamine sulphate when I had ESWT (not sure if this made any difference). Can those of you who did ESWT share any precautions you all took post ESWT to maximize the result.

thanks for any help

cheers
rsk

Ron B on 12/03/03 at 02:09 (139241)

rsk
My pod told me to stop taking all that stuff for two weeks, only Tylenol. maybe the glucosamine had something to do with it??
Ron

Jen L on 12/03/03 at 10:22 (139258)

For post ESWT care you may want to do light stretchings and gentle massage. Dr.Z recommended heating and tapping. I would not take any medicine or supplement which has anti-inflammory function for as long as possible. The most important is resting your feet and give it time to heal. It may take up to 12 weeks or even longer to have the full effect of the procedure. So patience is the key.
Ron, good luck to your recovery.

Suzanne D. on 12/03/03 at 16:45 (139276)

Best wishes to you, Ron! %%- I really hope this works for you. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Suzanne :)

Ron B on 12/03/03 at 17:46 (139284)

Suzanne
For $7,000 it better help !! LOL. I shouldn't have to pay any of that,so they tell me. It has been 24 hrs since the treatment. I am sore but NOT the PF (heel pain) sore. I took last night off and I am taking tonight off too.I will up date every week or sooner if there is any change
Ron

Pauline on 12/03/03 at 20:53 (139296)

I sure hope it works for you so I'll add you to my prayer list. Got all ten fingers and toes crossed too. Keep us posted.

Suzanne D. on 12/03/03 at 21:50 (139307)

I do hope it helps you, Ron! And I hope that the insurance comes through for you.

My pain at the onset of PF was somewhat in the heel but soon changed to the arches, so I've never considered ESWT. But for some (hopefully, you!) it seems to be the answer.

Suzanne :)

helen s on 12/04/03 at 16:45 (139359)

Ron,

Well done,I really hope it works for you, having mine on Tuesday. To be honest Ive tried so many treatments Id give anything a go. .

Good luck,
Helen

Ron B on 12/04/03 at 20:29 (139375)

Helen
Good luck to you. I hope it goes well. Its been two days now since my treatment. I did take two days off. my feet are still alittle sore. we'll see how the feet hold up at work tonight. make sure you let us know how it goes
Ron

Lupe L. on 12/09/03 at 09:05 (139644)

I had ESWT about five days ago, I feel a little better. I am not limping as much anymore, which is good. Ron, I thought my PF meaurements were bad, mine were 5.9 & 5.9 on both feet, your measurements were pretty bad at 6.4 & 7.4. Ron, I think the most painful part of the ESWT was the shots the Doc. applied to my feet on both sides, just below the ankle. Those really hurt, and they made my feet swell up like a balloon, from all that liquid medication from the shots. Did you have a similar experience.