Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping

Posted by Ron B on 12/04/03 at 14:57 (139349)

I had my Pod.show me how to tape my feet this morning. he taped one for me.However he did not tape me the same as what is shown in Scotts book. Taping the bottom of the foot from the toes to the heel.He taped me going from the side of the foot under the foot to the other side with 2' tape, then he covered that with 1' tape on the side of my foot from heel to toe. I asked him about Scotts way and he said the tape will ball up easier that way. He doesn't do much taping. In his opinion taping only last a couple of hours. He says my orthotics should be enough. I would love to get any feedback from you tapers out there. pro and con. Thanks
Ron

Re: Taping

Julie on 12/04/03 at 16:10 (139355)

A good quality tape, correctly applied, should last all day. It would last longer, but should be removed at night.

There are many different techniques for applying tape. If you want to do it, you need to experiment until you find the one that is most helpful to you.

My personal experience: I used the simplest two-strip method, taping from the ball to the heel, for almost a year. It was extremely helpful. I have orthotics as well. They have been helpful too. Tape + orthotics while my PF was active was most helpful.

Re: Taping,Julie

Ron B on 12/04/03 at 16:18 (139357)

Julie
when you put the tape on, do you bend your toes, or keep them normal? any other secrets I should know if I do it your way?
Ron

Dorothy on 12/04/03 at 17:52 (139369)

I wrote here recently that I had purchased a book called Athletic Taping and Bracing by David H. Perrin because I am trying to get as much information as I can about taping, information that will 'click' with my understanding. Anyway, this author is an associate professor at the University of Virginia and has been at University of Pittsburgh and has many good credentials. (Please search for previous detailed post if you are interested in the full info.) So this book has detailed photographs and illustrations and text descriptions and instructions on taping of all parts of the body. It is designed to be a textbook for students in athletic training and a guide for instructors. He says 'The book includes concise descriptions of anatomy and detailed anatomical illustrations...integhrated with discussions of injury mechanisms and nearly 400 photographs depicting taping and bracing techniques for each major joint and body region....' He also includes 'a presentation of the basic stretching and strengthening exercises associated with specific injuries....' I am being very brief here. He goes into detail about types of tape, the whys and wherefores. I think that many people here would find it a very useful book. It's on Amazon.com. I swear to you that I have no financial or other interest in any way with this book or author, other than its usefulness to me - and perhaps to you. There is good taping information for Achilles and plantar and arch problems. I have found it to be very difficult to feel fully confident in the techniques described here on this website. That is no fault of the ones doing the describing, but of my ability to grasp the concepts/techniques. So if you are like that as well, you might like this book.

Re: Taping,Julie

Julie on 12/05/03 at 01:40 (139382)

Ron, I always used the simplest of the techniques that Scott describes in the heel pain book: two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. I can't describe it better than he does, so study it and the pictures.

You don't bend your toes (I'm not sure what you mean by that, actually). The critical thing is the angle at which you hold your foot while applying the tape, and that you need to experiment with. If it is strongly dorsiflexed (bent back at the ankle) the tape will be too loose when you stand up and won't provide support. If the foot is in neutral, the tape will probably be too tight and will hurt when you stand up. Somewhere in between will be right - but that varies with the individual, and it may take several attempts to get it right.

Rick R on 12/05/03 at 06:50 (139385)

Guilty as charged your honor. My 'save the PC' project is making slow progress. I have a hard drive and just yesterday found a cable that will allow me to use the current drive as a slave. The lady that is doing the real work for me is too busy now. Just yesterday she came up to me and apologized but said she knew I'd be pissed if she wasn't keeping the work as priority, right she is. I do hope to be able to turn my written description into a photo & caption format just as I have with instructions for work over the last quarter century, makes all the difference in the world.

Rick

R C on 12/05/03 at 10:05 (139400)

I usually tape once a day, and it seems to work fine for the whole 24 hour period. I use many different taping schemes, all variations of the two methods described in the heel pain book. I have had zero luck with orthotics, so I'd say trust your instincts on whether you should use them in combination with tape.

Re: Taping (warning)

Aly on 12/05/03 at 13:24 (139410)

I tried taping and it's made me so much worse. I post this simply to warn people to remember to always listen to their feet. My feet were hurting with taping, but I figured it was an adjustment pain, like you'd have with new orthotics - WRONG. My major setback is still in full swing...Lord knows what I've done to my feet now. Just be careful...

Aly

Re: Taping Julie.Aly

Ron B on 12/05/03 at 14:55 (139421)

why does taping sound so difficult ??????
Julie
when I said bend your toes, I meant to point them back towards your knee. by normal I meant foot relaxed toes straight.

Aly
Did you tape the way Scott shows in his book???

Last night was my first night back to work after two days off after my ESWT treatment. by the end of my shift I was sore. but no worse (or no better) than the last day of work before ESWT. I know it will take time and I'm trying to be patient. Everyone have a good weekend! and stay off your feet!
Ron

Dorothy on 12/05/03 at 15:33 (139427)

Aly ~ I am so sorry to hear that you having a setback. I read your post and began to wonder if possibly you are doing too much to your feet with ART, taping and any other approaches... Do you think maybe they are inflamed and need to be allowed to calm down? Just a thought..But most of all, I am sorry you are hurting and I hope it all calms down and you feel better soon.

Re: Taping Julie.Aly

Aly on 12/05/03 at 17:25 (139437)

Hi Ron,

Yes, I started by taping that way, and when that hurt, I tried another method I saw elsewhere on the web. Who knows why my feet didn't like it...!

Aly on 12/05/03 at 17:31 (139439)

You could be right - that's why I haven't tried my new Sole orthotics. But the ART actually makes my feet feel better. Shouldn't have tried the tape on top of it I guess. Thanks for your thoughts :)