Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pos tib DRZ OR WANDER

Posted by seth on 12/04/03 at 15:08 (139351)

HOW LONG DOES POST TIB TENDONITIS TAKE TO HEAL?? I HAD A CORTISONE SHOT IN THE AREA AND THIS SEEMED TO RELIEVE IT FOR ABOUT A WEEK BUT THE PAIN HAS RETURNED. I HAVE BEEN IN A BOOT CAST (SOFT) FOR 3 WEEKS AND DO NOT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN PAIN REDUCTION. HOW LONG DOES THIS THING TAKE????? ALSO WHEN TAKING NSAIDS WHAT IS THE TIME DURATION WHEN ONE SHOULD NOTICE A DIFFRENCE OR AT LEAST HOW LONG SHOULD ONE BE TAKING VIOXX OR CELEBREX TO AT LEAST GIVE IT A CHANCE TO WORK?? THANKS DRZ OR WANDER

Re: pos tib DRZ OR WANDER

Dr. Z on 12/04/03 at 16:50 (139361)

I need to know whether you have a tendonitis and or a tear in the tendon. I can't remember did you have an MRI done. The results of the MRI will determine what type of treatment. If there is a tear you will need an AFO brace and or possible surgery.

seth on 12/05/03 at 07:46 (139388)

My podiatrist told me i don't need an mri based on his physical examiniation. He told me MRI does not show up well in this inner ankle area. He told me he would do a NCV or EMG thats about it. Is he wrong???

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/05/03 at 08:53 (139392)

In my opinion and experience, an MRI is excellent in determining the extent of pathology of the posterior tibial tendon. An EMG/NCV is for nerve entrapment, and an MRI really is not going to be that helpful with TTS, unless there is a space occupying lesion in the tarsal tunnel, very large varicose veins, etc. If you are trying to determine if there is a problem with the tendons, an MRI is the way to go. If you are assessing nerve entrapment, an MRI may be useful, but clinical exam is really going to be most beneficial. An EMG/NCV may be negative with TTS, depending on the extent of nerve injury/damage and length of time the nerve has been entrapped.

Dr. Z on 12/05/03 at 16:32 (139433)

If we are talking about tendons, ligaments, joint surface then an MRI is what you need. Aren't you being treated for Posterior tibial tendonitis.?