Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciilitis & surgery

Posted by Marilyn B on 12/04/03 at 15:08 (139352)

I have been suffering from chronic heel pain for the last 2 years. I have had numerous cortisone injections (which clears it up for about 4 weeks) and had physical therapy, ice packs and I stretch every day and every minute of the day that I can. I am a medical assistant so I have to stand all day. I am now considering surgery and my question is a}how long will I need off work? and b}Do you think that I should consider another line of job? Will it be aggrivated after surgery when I return to my job?
Thank you for your help. Marilyn

Re: Plantar fasciilitis & surgery

SteveG on 12/05/03 at 13:55 (139414)

Marilyn - First of all, you should not have more than 3 shots a year, since more can cause additional problems. Second, read the heel pain book to ensure you are taking advantage of all the treatment options - - night splint, orthodics, etc. Finally, I would not consider surgery until I had at least 2 rounds of ESWT. If you don't know what that is ask your pod or read about it on this site. The surgery is a LAST resort - it does not have a terribly high success rate, and you run the risk of additional problems, some of which can be quite debilitating. (I am not a doctor).

You also may need to consider an another line of work. Standing all day is very tough on PF. I could not do it.