Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HOW DOES TTS DEVELOP??

Posted by seth on 12/04/03 at 15:12 (139353)

IS THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM DEVELOP GRADUALLY OVER TIME OR DOES IT HAPPEN IN A SINGLE TRAUMATIC INCIDENT??? I'D LIKE TO KNOW PEOPLES EXPERIENCE ON HOW THIS DEVELOPED THANKS

Re: HOW DOES TTS DEVELOP??

RonB on 12/04/03 at 17:31 (139364)

Seth,
How many stars are in the sky...

In most cases it develops over a long period of time. It is more common in younger persons that are runners / athletic. In older folks it can be as simple as a vitamin deficiency or as complicated as the foot structure it self.

I can attribute mine to several factors:
Bad shoes
Collapsed arches
An additional muscle tendon combination that is only present in 5% of the population.

Step #1 is to see a good podiatrist (if you have not already done so).
Ron

marie on 12/04/03 at 18:10 (139372)

It happened over a long period of time. There were many signs but I just continued to brush it off. Proper shoes would have helped if I had known. The first real traumatic incident came after a week on my feet outside in 100 degree weather while I was doing a very large painting. The painting was 8 feet by 192 feet. Every night I went home in tears but just thought I had an arthritic flare up. After a few weeks it was apparent it wasn't going to go away and I went to see my GP. I spent a year and a half going through all kinds of testing and 2 years trying to recover. I worked when I should have rested or at least been in a wheel chair at work. When I finally gave in I began to get well.

My advice is rest but don't be inactive. Weightbearing activity is the worse but you can do some exercises that are not weightbearing. You must stay off your feet but at the same time keep your muscles active. Follow your doctor's advice to a 'T'. Ice when it's swollen. Lots of vitamin C, Glucosamine, MSM, and magnesium helped me. I am on Neurontin and Elavil.

best wishes marie

Mike on 12/05/03 at 17:45 (139443)

If you are diabetic and your blood sugar levels arent under tight control you can develop TTS and CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome).

High blood glucose can cause the nerves to swell and although there might not be a tendon or bone actually causing entrapment, the fact that the nerve is swollen in the tunnel can cause the compression.