Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bunion surgery

Posted by DherylS on 12/04/03 at 23:24 (139378)

I am 7 weeks post op bunion surgery on my right foot. I still have swelling, which I know can last several months. My doctor did not tell me to exercise my big toe, and in the last couple weeks, I realized it is very stiff and I can hardly bend it down. I am wondering if I need therapy?I plan on doing my left foot in about a year if this experience goes well. The stiffness is the only thing concerning me now.

Re: bunion surgery

Pauline on 12/05/03 at 09:23 (139395)

Have you rechecked with you doctor specifically stating your concern about the stiffness your experiencing?

Sometimes if patients don't voice concern, the doctor thinks everything is
ok. They don't want to put worries in your head so they let patients bring their worries to them.

I'm not a doctor, but if you have questions why not give him a call. You can even suggest physical therapy and see what he says.

Doctors can't real your mind, they need feedback from their patients.

Julie on 12/05/03 at 11:14 (139404)

You don't say what type of bunion you had, or what type of surgery. Some bunion surgery does result in a loss of motion in the joint (you could look at it as trading the pain for it). There is an article in Runners' World that explains it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-78-79-531,00.html

You should certainly discuss this with your treating doctor, as Pauline suggests.

Dr. Z on 12/05/03 at 16:41 (139436)

Call you doctor and set up an appointment. At the very least a physical therapy program must be done. Did you have a bone cut and re-positioned for the bunion correcton?

CherylS on 12/05/03 at 20:43 (139451)

Yes I had the bone cut and repositioned with 1 screw. I am surprised that the side effects were not mentioned to me. It is still early, and I have to finish healing, but I dont know that I would have done it if I were told I would not be able to bend my toe. I have been gently stretching it the last couple days. With the swelling on and off, it is hard to tell.

Dr. Z on 12/05/03 at 21:28 (139456)

With any bunion surgery there can be lost of motion at the joint. This is usaully temporary. If you big toe is completely stiff then you must have your doctor take a look to make sure that the metatarsal head is in the proper position. If it is physical therapy is very important to start asap