Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar's Wart

Posted by K T on 12/05/03 at 10:08 (139401)

My 15 year old son has a plantar's wart that is the size of a quarter, after growing for 8 months. The doctor originally told us it would go away. Yesterday his foot had red streaks running from the wart and it was swollen. We went to the Pod. who prescribed antibiotics and said it has to be removed and biopsied Monday after he has been on the antibiotics for a few days. He said regardless of the infection on Monday it HAS to be removed. If it gets worse we are to call him and go directly to the ER. Is this serious? The doctor is VERY concerned and told me he is concerned.

Re: Plantar's Wart

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/07/03 at 09:30 (139524)

Your doctor is wise to insist on a biopsy. Were you using any products or acid products on the wart prior to the red streaks? Often, patients apply a topical acid treatment on the wart or the doctor applies a topical acid treatment to the wart. This may result in red streaks that may or may not be an infection. Infections often begin with a red streak indicating a spreading infection. However, sometimes with the use of acid on warts, the acid is absorbed/'picked up' by the lymphatic system and causes a similar red streak. Regardless, your doctor is correct in recommending the use of antibiotics and is obviously concerned and is recommending a biopsy and excision of the lesion. I would strongly agree with your doctor's recommendations.

K T on 12/08/03 at 10:50 (139571)

Dr. Wander, Thank you for you information. My son was never treated with topical acid for the wart. We were told it would 'disappear' over time. The infection, however, has gotten worse over the weekend and we are happy that it will be taken care of this afternoon. Can you tell me if this is 'normal' or should we be concerned that there is more to it than just a plantar's wart? My husband and I are frightened that this is more serious.

Dr. Z on 12/08/03 at 11:08 (139576)

An experience podiatrist can tell if this is just a wart. Very typical to have warts in children. The most important thing is to find a doctor who you feel comfortable with