Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Muscles in the foot

Posted by R C on 12/05/03 at 10:13 (139402)

I have been struggling with heel pain for about 4 years. It has improved a great deal during this time, primarily from taping and hard cast. The plantar fascia (by which I am referring to the tendon) itself seems to have healed completely. However, there is still discomfort, and I suspect it is not at the fascia insertion point, but rather the muscle that runs along the medial edge of the foot. It is the muscle that would be strained if I were to stand on the medial ball of the foot for several hours while carrying an anvil (that's not exactly how I injured it, but not far from it). The insertion point of that muscle (if I have it right so far) gets uncomfortable when I stand or walk without tape on my feet. Otherwise, there is no discernible inflammation in my foot.

Am I correct about the anatomy of the foot? Any insight into how I might proceed?

Mega thanks!

Re: Muscles in the foot

R C on 12/05/03 at 12:57 (139407)

I did some web surfing, and my top candidates for the injured structure are:

Abductor Hallucis

Flexor Hallucis Brevis.

The discomfort is at the far medial edge of the heel, where I think one of these muscles attaches.

If this is injury treated differently from PF, I would dearly love to know how.

Mike W on 12/05/03 at 17:26 (139438)

Hello R C,

If you are interested in seeing some excellent foot anatomy pictures, please go to my website http://www.foottrainer.com and then click foot/lower leg antomy.

You should consider strengthening all foot and lower leg muscles because taping is a bandaide not the cure.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Mike W

Re: Awesome pictures!

R C on 12/05/03 at 17:44 (139442)

Mike W,

Yes, that's it! It's the abductor hallucis that is kicking my ass!! I should have had it removed when the tree man was trimming my junipers!

Thanks for the reference.

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/05/03 at 18:07 (139446)

The posterior tibial tendon runs down the medial leg, behind the medial (inside) ankle and inserts into the medial aspect of the foot and arch and may be contributing to your discomfort. Does it hurt or is there weakness when you attempt to raise on your toes on the painful foot? If it does, you may want to ask your doctor about evaluating your posterior tibial tendon.

R C on 12/06/03 at 17:20 (139496)

No pain when I raised the toes. There is only pain when I walk or stand. Even then I can say that it is worse when I put more weight near that big toe.