Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this just bad luck?

Posted by Pauline on 12/05/03 at 14:18 (139419)

Gosh, is this just bad luck or do people plan injuries at stores. This is really strange.

ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A woman who was reported trampled by Wal-Mart shoppers during a holiday sale on DVD players has filed numerous injury claims against stores since 1987, including nine against the world's largest retailer.

Re: Is this just bad luck?

Ron B on 12/05/03 at 15:07 (139422)

Pauline
I think she's just looking for a fast buck!!! come on, nine claims???? we have a few people like that at my work. I think a judge or jury would see through this lady. have a great weekend and stay out of Wal-Mart !!
Ron

Pauline on 12/05/03 at 16:12 (139429)

I really have trouble believing that someone would set out to be injured, but like you so many claims at one store. If I was on her jury I'd need a lot of evidence in her behalf.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/05/03 at 16:23 (139431)

I feel as though I could be injured when I make the rare choice to go to Wal-Mart on a Saturday...haha
Richard

Pauline on 12/05/03 at 16:33 (139434)

Richard,
What type of injury would you choose. Think of it. If Dr. Z had chosen to break his ribs at Wal-Mart instead of on the back lawn, he could just hang out for a while, instead of returning to work so soon.

marie on 12/05/03 at 17:42 (139441)

Well either it was on purpose or she is an opportunist. Sometimes when someone has success with the first two lawsuits then they just keep looking for ways to use the system for their benefit.

marie

Pauline on 12/05/03 at 17:57 (139444)

I wonder how many people do this for a living? It seems like a difficult and very different life style.

It's really hard to imagine throwing youself into an injury situation and hoping to get money on the other end.

I cut my finger on a K-Mart cart once and all I got was a Tetanus shot.
I simply asked for a band-aid to stop the bleeding so I could finish shopping. Darn if they didn't fill out an injury report and send me to a clinic for the shot.

I appreciated the shot because the cart was dirty and metel and my tetanus wasn't up to date. Kind of a tetanus wake up call for me so now I make sure I get it when needed.

Rick R on 12/05/03 at 19:58 (139447)

My flying pig insists that it all luck.

Rick

Rick R on 12/05/03 at 20:00 (139448)

Evidentially my pig needs to work on his grammar.

nancy s. on 12/06/03 at 08:05 (139466)

rick, 'evidentially' your flying pig also needs to work on his spelling.

that'll be $30 please.

nancy

Kathy G on 12/06/03 at 08:24 (139470)

I had heard the story of her getting trampled but didn't realize that she had filed suits against previous stores. Maybe this is how she does her Christmas shopping? Can't you just see her Christmas list?

For Husband - Accidentally trip on carpet while approaching case of watches. Make sure they give you a gold one for him. Make sure it's your right ankle.

For Daughter - Grab the doll on the bottom of the display and make sure the rest of them hit you on the head. Be sure to take tylenol prior to leaving home - and make sure you don't wear a hat.

For Son - Go for the metal bat, not the wooden one. Lean over the display to grab the bat in the back and knock over the entire display. Try not to flinch when the bats fall on your toes, breaking one of them. Don't forget to wear your Birks that day.

The possibilities are endless!

Pauline on 12/06/03 at 08:47 (139474)

Good one.

nancy s. on 12/06/03 at 09:16 (139476)

kathy, you are a scream!!!

nancy

Sher A on 12/06/03 at 10:03 (139479)

Yea, I like this too, thanks for the ideas! In fact I'm going to go to Walmart here in a couple of minutes. I thought that story was pretty bizarre. First I didn't realize that there were so many people in Orange City that could get into a trampling situation. I mean this is a real laidback kind of place. When I was there the only tourists were the ones at Blue Springs and the Walmart there was pretty quiet. It's just hard to believe that this went on. Now where I live (northern VA) this is pretty normal!

Rick R on 12/06/03 at 11:51 (139487)

Darned pig! Should have never let him attend John's School O' Spelling.

Rick

John H on 12/06/03 at 21:49 (139510)

I hope you noticed Paris came to Arkansas to put on her show. I would have liked her to stay with us but Mary was not very keen on the idea.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/03 at 08:34 (139519)

Hey Richard, going to Wal-Mart on the weekend was a milestone of PF recovery for me! Suzanne will remember how utterly thrilled I was to go to our new Super WalMart the week before Christmas last year, and not feel any PF pain even in those long lines.

Now that I've been better for a while, I don't find it quite so thrilling and that exuberant, victorious feeling is gone when I stand in line there. :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 12/08/03 at 00:47 (139567)

Blue light special on tetanus shots, Aisle 3.

marie on 12/08/03 at 20:11 (139621)

I can't imagine why? haha

Re: ~~~K Mart ~~~

Necee on 12/10/03 at 00:35 (139697)

Heck we don't even have any K Mart stores here in Texas anymore!
Guess those 'Blue light' specials got a little out of hand!

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: I remember, Carole!

Suzanne D. on 12/12/03 at 15:15 (139854)

Yes, I remember how happy I was for you when you were able to go to Wal-Mart (which had seemed like a far-away dream for awhile!)

I still think of that sometimes when I go in Wal-Mart.
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/03 at 16:34 (139865)

Thanks, Suzanne! :)

Sometimes when I'm in Wal-Mart, I remember those days too. I think to myself, 'I should come to Wal-Mart more often, now that I can!' Sometimes we just don't appreciate what we have until it's taken away for a while.

Of course, other times I'm just tired and want to go home. LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 12/12/03 at 19:20 (139885)

I understand that feeling, too, Carole! Sometimes I go to Kroger's or Winn Dixie (our two largest) for groceries. At other times, I just want to get in and out quicker and not deal with big crowds, so I go to Houchens where I find I am usually the youngest customer! They have about anything I would need or want, and the store is so much smaller and slow-paced. Sometimes I'm glad to be able to navigate Wal-Mart, and other times I want to stay away from its 'bigness'. It's nice to be able to have choices, isn't it?!

Suzanne :)