Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Paris

Posted by Carl S on 12/05/03 at 21:04 (139453)

What is all this new interest in traveling to France? I run a search engine site, and we have been bombarded with hits for the Paris Hilton. What is this all about?????

Re: Paris

marie on 12/06/03 at 07:34 (139464)

Carl,

Paris Hilton is the daughter of the man who owns the 'Hilton' hotel chain. She is very pretty and is very wild. She is in a new reality show. She and her rich firend are living on a farm in Arkansas.

marie

Kathy G on 12/06/03 at 08:27 (139471)

I have yet to see Paris Hilton nor had I ever heard of her until Letterman made some joke about her the other night. I am so totally out of it sometimes, it's hard to believe! What did her parents think, naming her Paris? That she'd go on to become a librarian??

Richard, C.Ped on 12/06/03 at 11:41 (139486)

My wife and I made the mistake of coming across that show the other night. I have to say...she is not very pretty..and they both are spoiled lazy brats. The other one is Nicole Richey...Lionel Richey's daughter if I am not mistaken. Paris made a comment the other night that she did not know what Wal-Mart was. She said, 'what do they sell? Wall stuff??'. haha
Richard

marie on 12/06/03 at 18:41 (139497)

I had the same impression. She's on beyond 'high maintenance'.

John H on 12/06/03 at 21:53 (139511)

I like her name better than Kid Rock or Mamie Van Doren or as Johnny Cash used to sing 'A boy named Sue'. Actually a real name can effect your life in your early years.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/07/03 at 08:39 (139520)

If she doesn't know what Wal-Mart is, then she doesn't watch TV since Wal-Mart advertises so heavily on TV.

If she doesn't even WATCH television, how can she do a show of her own? I wouldn't expect her show to be even slightly interesting.

I suspect that she knows quite well what Wal-Mart is, and was just being 'cutesy' for the press. Which is not to say that she's not a spoiled lazy brat as you pointed out.

Carole C

Dr. Z on 12/07/03 at 15:21 (139536)

She also made a private video tape with one of her boyfriends that her parents had to pay millions to get back.

QuentonE on 12/07/03 at 16:41 (139538)

She recntly admitted in an interview that she knew what walmart was. I am sure she has never been in one, but like a previous poster said, if she watches TV at all she has seen the ads.

Dorothy on 12/08/03 at 00:41 (139562)

Or that she'd be a place where lots of people sleep....

Richard, C.Ped on 12/08/03 at 08:12 (139568)

I said she was a spoiled lazy brat because they showed both of them 'working' different jobs. They were fired the first day at one. Two little rich kids that can spend more money in one day than I make in a year and not appreciate what they have really bugs me. On the other hand....money is truly not everything so I would much rather have the love and closeness of my family as well as my small house than all their money and large mansion without knowing what true family is.

I thought on this for a while...The majority of these 'reality' shows are not reality at all. They edit film to make you see and think what they want you to see.

Re: Small houses and large ones

Carole C in NOLA on 12/08/03 at 09:55 (139570)

Which brings up the question of.. why do so many people think that a large house/mansion HAS to be better than a small one, for everyone? Granted, if a person has a large family, then there is a need for space so that people don't annoy each other so much. But if a person lives alone like I do, it still seems to be taken for granted that they would prefer a huge house to a little one. Last year when I was house hunting, I had a very difficult time persuading my realtor that I wanted a house less than 2000 square feet, and that money wasn't the limiting factor in this choice.

I know that you didn't mean to bring up the 'small houses vs large houses' topic but I just couldn't help bringing it up myself. :)

I prefer my small house to any large one. My washer is only two steps from my bedroom, so I don't have to carry heavy loads of laundry very far. My feet are very glad about that. Some of the houses I looked at would have required that I wear roller blades to get from my bedroom to the washer, or from the living area to the kitchen. My feet are glad that everything is close together; I only carry groceries about ten feet from car to refrigerator, and just a few more feet from the kitchen to the dining table. With my small house I have less to clean, and my heating and air conditioning bills are quite small. Actually, I seldom if ever use my living room or guest bedroom, so I have them shut off. My energy bills probably would be even lower if I didn't have those rooms at all.

Personally I feel sorry for those misguided wealthy people in their huge Beverly Hills mansions. On the other hand, although I know in my heart that money doesn't bring happiness, I'd like to volunteer to test that theory (if Paris Hilton wants to send me a few million in cash to try it out).

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/08/03 at 11:03 (139573)

Carole, I agree and appreciate your post! 95% of the time I don't give my house a thought (other than trying to keep it clean!). But I've recently been to my sister's large and beautifully decorated house and that - along with seeing pictures of others' huge and finely appointed homes - has brought to my mind my small house. (Actually, it's not mine - it's a church 'parsonage', owned by the church to be occupied by the minister and his family.) It's good enough, and I've always tried to make others feel welcome there, and so it's just what I need.

But thanks again; I appreciate your comments! I think - as is the case of most anything in life - it's what you do with what you have that counts!

Suzanne :)

marie on 12/08/03 at 11:34 (139577)

I'm with you on that one Carol. When my kids leave we will probably scale back to a smaller home. The only reason we have a big house one is because half of it is a business. I'd like a nice little cabin in the woods some day and my hubby is going to have to find another place for his business. Big or small doesn't really matter it's the people who live there that make it a home.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/08/03 at 12:52 (139584)

I agree! It's what you do with what you have that counts. Decorating, arranging things conveniently, and trying to create a warm and cheerful home makes so much difference. I'm sure we've all been to small homes where the love and happiness just shines through, and that is so much more attractive than a cold though elegant mansion. Something as simple as the smell of fresh baked bread or cookies can make the advantages of living in a small home stand out. Not that I bake... but some of you do! lol

Sometimes excessive clutter can make a small home seem smaller than it really is. I noticed on a TV show called 'Sell This House!', often the realtors' suggestions to the sellers are to reduce clutter. If reducing clutter makes a house more attractive to sell, then why not do it for ourselves while we live there? Periodic attempts at clutter reduction are easier in a small house than in a larger one, because there isn't as much room for it to accumulate.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/08/03 at 13:06 (139586)

Marie, didn't you post at one time about already having a weekend cabin in the woods? I remember Necee's cabin, but I thought that you posted about having one yourself. Oh well, from your post I gather that if you do have a cabin, you don't have one right now that matches those dreams for the future, anyway.

It sounds like a great idea to move to a smaller place when your kids leave. I've found that a small house is so much less time consuming to care for than a larger house (especially when the small house doesn't have kids living in it). :)

Carole C

marie on 12/08/03 at 16:14 (139607)

Oh yes we have a very small cabin right now. It's our escape from the business. But it's so small there is no room for a washer and dryer...that I must have. We close the cabin up in the winter as there is no water. We still go out for the day but we have to carry water in a bucket from the well to the toilet...too much work.

I hope to have something a little larger and with running water in the winter.LOL.:)

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 12/08/03 at 17:17 (139609)

Running water is one of my 'must have's, too. :)

Carole C

Re: Paris ~~~~~~"Frontier House"

Necee on 12/10/03 at 00:26 (139695)

I don't think either of those gals are pretty. In my opinion, they are rude, lazy, and spoiled! Maybe one of these days they will see what reality really is, and that life is about more than just having a good time.
Did any of you ever watch that show on PBS called 'Frontier House'? It was about taking several typical families and making them live as people lived in the late 1800's. The children had to milk cows, and help with every day chores, they weren't allowed any modern conviences at all. One of the families had 2 teenage daughters, at first they hated that life, and fussed all the time about not having TV, music, fancy clothes, etc. They were banned from bringing makeup to the 'Frontier', and were even caught at one point with trying to smuggle in eye makeup. At the end of the experiment, which lasted several months, the girls didn't want to return to modern life, they had grown fond of their new way of life.....it was a pretty amazing show.

Necee

Necee on 12/10/03 at 00:29 (139696)

We currently live in a fairly small house...and the one we are building soon is much much bigger, I have questioned many times.....why....at our age are we doing this????? Go figure.

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/03 at 11:26 (139743)

I hope your house turns out to be your 'dream house'. If the floorplan is really good, it can make a large house easier to navigate with PF than a large house with a difficult floorplan. If you still have input on the floorplan you might want to get your two cents in! :)

Carole C