Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BROMELAIN SUPPLEMENT?

Posted by seth on 12/06/03 at 08:21 (139468)

ANYONE EVER TRY BROMELAIN AND HAVE YOU HAD ANY SUCCESS WITH IT??

Re: BROMELAIN SUPPLEMENT?

Aly on 12/06/03 at 08:40 (139472)

Hi Seth,

My Zymain supplement has Bromelain in it, amongst a number of other things, and I find it helps reduce my pain if I take it regularly. I posted about Zymain last week - if you do a search, you'll find it.
:)

Aly

nancy s. on 12/06/03 at 09:11 (139475)

seth, Robin B., who used to post here, recovered after a long, hard bout with PF and hasn't posted in a long time. but if you do a search on her name, you'll find numerous posts about her use of bromelain and how she considered it an important part of her recovery.

nancy

Dorothy on 12/08/03 at 00:42 (139563)

Yes, for back pain in past. Can't really say whether it helped or not.

Dorothy on 12/08/03 at 00:43 (139564)

I clicked off before finishing, sorry. You can also eat pineapple which is where bromelain comes from. A nice alternative to a pill..

Robin B. on 12/08/03 at 22:13 (139625)

Seth -- Nancy is right. (Hi Nancy -- hope all is going well with you -- I scan to see your posts now and then and it sounds like you're a lot better, and I'm always glad to see that.) I used to post here all the time, but now visit only once a month or so, sometimes less. I'm not 'cured,' but I'm 95% back to where I was in my old life, before PF (which is why you don't see me here anymore).

Yes, I did take Bromelain -- for a couple of years. And yes, it did help. Bromelain acts as an anti-inflamatory if you take it BETWEEN meals, on an empty stomach. I got it from the Vitamin Shoppe. I ordered the 500 mg/600 GDU variety and took two capsules 3 or 4 times a day -- again, on an empty stomach. I had absolutely no side effects and no ill effects. It took a couple of weeks to kick in -- but when it did, I noticed the difference right away, and I gradually got better and better.

For me, the ticket was: 1)Birkenstocks, which is all I wear now, all the time -- I'm the queen of Birks with 15 or 16 pairs to my name; 2) Bromelain, religiously, for a couple of years; 3) a lot of rest for my feet.

Wish the best for you. PF was one of the worst things ever to happen to me. Took away my life for several years, and now I guard my feet carefully. I had a severe case in both feet, but now can do most of the things I want with little problem. Whatever you do -- don't give up. Keep trying everything until you find the right combination.

Nigel on 12/09/03 at 05:55 (139640)

Robin, so good to hear a success story, well done!
A general question on anti inflammatory's. I've tried Vioxx with no success as well as two other prescription antiinflammatory's. None of them appear to make any difference. Should I still try other ones to find one that works, or does this indicate that inflammation is not a main contributor to my pain and therefore I should concentrate on other treatments?
Thanks for our input.. Nigel.

Robin B. on 12/09/03 at 20:22 (139686)

You got me, Nigel -- I'm not a doc. But if prescription anti-inflamatories don't work, I would suspect inflamation may not be too much of an issue (although it usually IS with PF).

On the other hand, Bromelain is cheap. It would probably cost you about $22 for a big, 300-capsule bottle. Since it's not a prescription drug, it might be worth a try. Good luck to you -- hope you get some relief.