Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how long in between treatments?

Posted by shawnie on 12/07/03 at 19:56 (139549)

hello would anyone be able to tell me how long in between estw sessions .i need 3.my pod want's me to start in 2 weeks around christmas .I am getting married on the 31 of january 2004.will i still be in alot of pain at that point?? maby i should postpone until after wedding....my pf won't be going anywhear lol....any advise .thank-you..SB

Re: how long in between treatments?

Ron B on 12/07/03 at 20:05 (139550)

How does' your Pod know you are going to need three treatments?? With most people one one treatment of ESWT should work. I had my first (and only I hope) treatment five days agao. My feet feel the same as the day before the treatment.No more or no less pain after the treatment. they say it can take up to 12 weeks for the full benefit of the treatment those that have had two treatments have waited 6 to 12 months. I don't see any reason to wait until after your wedding! but I'm not a doc. Good luck

shawnie on 12/07/03 at 20:21 (139552)

I don't know about the three treatments but i do have accilies tendonites and also mortons nuroma in both feet as well as pf in both feet.maby that is diffren't .thanks for the input SB

Dr. Z on 12/07/03 at 20:36 (139553)

It sounds like you are having low energy ESWT. The typical sessions in the USA are done weekly. In Canada they are done daily. The tyical ESWT patient whether high or low energy will either be improved, and or about the same after the treatment. At 12 weeks over 60% of the patients are cured. As time go alongs along the cure rate increases. So why wait? Did anyway explained to you that you would be in alot of pain post ESWT?
If you are in pain now there is a good chance that by Jan31,2004 you will be improved

Re: Dr Z Post ESWT

Ron B on 12/08/03 at 14:49 (139594)

Dr Z
Do most of your paients feel worse, or have more pain post ESWT?? Its been six days since my treatment and I've been waiting for a set back. but it hasn't come. My pain is about the same as it was the day before my treatment. I did feel some pain during the treatment from level five up to seven. had to bit my lip a bit on level seven but I got through it!!
Ron B

Re: Dr Z Post ESWT

Dr. Z on 12/08/03 at 17:43 (139612)

Most of our patient obtain some relief of pain reduction. A few won't get any improvement for 12-16 weeks. Some will need a second treatment. If sounds like you didn't get any relief yet. Taping, physical therapy can help you long while you wait for some pain reduction. Taping is a very big treatment in my practice. We actually use an unna boot, taping, pronation control device, futuro elastic supports

Re: Dr Z Post ESWT (DR Z)

Ron B on 12/09/03 at 15:11 (139662)

Dr Z
what is an unna boot??? pronation device? My Pod isn't big on taping. he things it dosen't last but a few hours. I know every Doc has their own idea's. so do you tape like what is shown is Scotts book? I worry that I won't tape it right and cause more pain

helen s on 12/10/03 at 15:30 (139753)

Had treatment. Yes was painful had one treatment yesterday level 6 and one today up to level 12!! Foot is sore tonight. Going back next week. Pod told me 6 - 12 weeks before any benefit so fingers crossed.