Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Outer Heel Pain

Posted by TimO on 12/08/03 at 12:52 (139585)

I have a history of heel spurs and had successful cortezone injection treatment for them. However, I have twice casued terrible pain in my left heel that lasts a few days when I suddenly pushed off the balls of my toes (trying to catch a ball that went just over my reach, taking three steps in one standing jump). When it happens, I feel a snap and the pain is on the outside of my heel. Looking at the drawings, I am guesing a tear of my medial plantar facia tendon or the abductor digiti minimi muscle. My podiatrist said 'nonspecific soft tissue' damage wrapped it for 5 days and gave me anti-imflamatories which has not helped. Sound familiar to anyone?

Re: Outer Heel Pain

Nigel on 12/08/03 at 15:17 (139600)

I have not had something similar, good luck with finding out more about it. I was interested in your comment about a successful cortisone injection. I have avoided an injection because I have heard that they really just cover up the symptoms and really don't improve the underlying injury and also have the risk of breaking down tissue and causing long term damage. I have been under the impression that my body will do the same itself without the injection, it will just take longer. Interested in your thoughts as to whether you thought your shots were worth it. Thanks Nigel.

Kathy G on 12/13/03 at 10:43 (139923)

My son, a tennis pro, says that his PF never bothers him now unless he is reaching to return a serve and then it acts up. It sounds like he's in a similar position to the one you describe. I assumed he is just pulling his fascia and that's what's causing the pain. In his case, since he mostly teaches, it's not a serious problem. I never even thought of a tear.

Do you wear orthotics when you are doing this? (It sounds like tennis to me, but you didn't say.) He wears custom orthotics always at work and Powersteps the rest of the time.

Good luck! Hope your pain diminishes soon!

John H on 12/13/03 at 13:10 (139941)

I would think Taping might be especially imnportant for an athlete such as a tennis player or basketball player or football player. Most all of the pros tape before every game or match.